Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:13:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Surf fishing for Barred Perch  (Read 18577 times)

*<><Aliens

During the off season when rock fish, halibut, salmon etc...is closed, what do all the Yakers do to satisfy there need to  kill fish?
 If I may I would like to share with all of you fellow yakeres what I like to do to keep my sanity.  Me I like to  hit the surf for the choice fish called the Bard Perch. During the months of October Through November. I find that I catch more of the bigger perch during these months than any other month of the year with the exception of February and March. Since I know in the area I fish these are the months that the Bard Perch are gathering to spawn or what ever they do during this time of year. The Perch that I'm catching ranges from 1/2 lbs. to the big boys of three pounds, but during these months, more on the big side. what makes it my favorite time to fish. Thou Bard Perch could be caught all year long. These are the best time.
 I have some pic's I like to post, but I can't seem to accomplish the task. Maybe I'll ask Joel to help me out in this matter. Joel would you help me on this matter?  
 So, what do you like to do to keep the feeling?

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I love perch fishing, its a blast. Great way to kill the time. The forebay is good during the winter for "real" fishing though.

I also pour/create most of my baits during the winter.

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
For me, Winter = Sturgeon... in fact I'm starting to get the fever already...

I may be joining you for some perching this winter too though... been wanting to do more of that and I finally built myself a really nice perchin rod like I've been planning to do for a couple years now.

EK
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Anonymous

Bill,

I fished for Bard Perch from Bakers Beach CA all the way down to Prima Tapia Mexico. But never had the chance to fish Four bay. I like to check it out some day soon. May be when I get back from the Chetco.

Travis

This year I am going to try spearfishing to get my fix.

*<><Aliens

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Alex, just email me your pics at konicaminolta and I'll post 'em for you.

I'm up for perch fishing as well - I know Alex is THE MAN when it comes to perch fishing. Maybe he can do a write up on it.

I'm also planning to get back into poke poling for monkey face eel - I'll be doing an article on it as well.

I also plan to start fishing the foothill lakes for trout and smallmouths.

I'm in for the Sturgeon fishing as well.

Gotta love Norcal when it comes to fishing options - there's always something to fish for!

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I forgot to mention that Fisherman's Warehouse in San Jose has a contest for the heaviest perch caught - for those of you who are interested in joining - call 'em for more details. I was there last Saturday when a gentleman came in to weight in his perch. It was recorded at 1.5 by the certified scale at FW. He told me he caught it at the pier by the cement ship at Capitola using shrimp for bait....

sixmhz

• Salmon
  • View Profile http://www.sixmhz.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
i've had luck at pescadero, anyplace else good?
-Greg

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Greg,

Montara Beach - on the South side right next to the rocks is also a good place. There's a significant drop-off just 10 feet off the shoreline.

I've also seen some big ones caught at the Pacifica Pier.

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
don't forget the marin beaches!
stinson, kehoe can be awesome once the first big storms hit and build up the structure.

ChuckE and i had a couple of days that were a blast at stinson last winter adn spring

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Yup... SteveS and I had Stinson dialed-in.  We were catching perch on just about every cast and lost count.  We figured out the exact type of sand and gravel beds that were holding the perch.

We used long light spinning rods and reels loaded with 15 or 20# Spectra to hurl a Carolina rig consisting of a 1 ounce egg sinker, 2' mono leader, and 1-1/2" motor oil grub.  The sensitivity of Spectra allowed us to feel the bottom and every little tap.

Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

surfingmarmot

You mentioned a long spinning rod--how long is long?

Stripers: The O'Neill Forebay is the 'catch basin' for San Luis Reservoir and a Striped bass territory that comes alive Oct-Feb or so when the near-gale-force Summer winds over Pacheco Pass finally abate. I'll be hitting it all Winter. I've always fished it with w 9-wt fly rod and streamers but this year I plan on conventional tackle also. I be there this Friday and maybe another day on the weekend as long as I finish rigging my new Prowler 15. The Delta should be ripening up now and good through Winter as well though 'Bass Boats from Hell' can be pretty intimidating there. I'll try the kayak spots you all mention. I am also expecting scwafish to tell us Mendocino has 'busted' wide open any day now. :smt002 Millerton Lake is supposed to be good fro Striped Bass as well though I have never fished it and its a much longer drive than San Luis.

Foothills:
I hear Del Valle is good for Smallmouths--but last weekend a kayaker from Livermore I met told me it is nearly drained this time of year. I'll make a note to try it in Spring. Never had much luck at Stevens Creek or Lexington--though I have heard of nice Bass being pulled out of there and I have seen people with full stringers of Black Crappie. Anderson, Coyote, and Calero might be fish-able when its cold enough to keep the 'Fleas' and skiers off the water--but you can't eat the fish in many local lakes due to mercury content so its C&R only.

Surf: I have never used conventional tackle for Surf Perch, but have used a 7-wt fly rod on a sinking shooting head, a 6-foot 10-pound mono leader and a Motor Oil grub on med-small hook. You look for holes and rips close in where the Perch will come in for feed on surf critters like the Pacific Mole Crab.  I want to try spinning tackle--often the holes are just beyond reach of the fly rod and deeper wading of the steep breaks in Winter storm surf with strong rips is dangerous.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
The stretch of Beach from just north of the Bodega Marine lab to North Salmon Creek holds some nice barred, calico, and red tail perch. Portuguese Beach has some nice striped and black perch, and I have a spot near Duncan's Landing where I fish from the side of a cliff for wide open, huge striped perch, big walleyes, and the occasional pile and rubberlip perch.

Here's a big rubberlip from the Noyo Harbor Jetty:

A nice pile perch from the "cliff spot":

A 16.25" redtail from Bodega Dunes:

And a CA record class striped perch from "Blue Slide" in Bodega:

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Dustin - what set-up do you use? Bait or grubs?