Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:39:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Cache Creek 9/12/06  (Read 4039 times)

Loch Leven

• Rain or Shine
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
So just got back from the East Walker up in Bridgeport. WOw! what a river , huge I mean huge brown's being pulled out of there on size #20 patterns! :smt007  Got a nice 17 incher, and pops hooked into im guessing a 20+ incher.  Someone caught a 10-13 lb one the day we got in.

Ok but this is about Cache Creek.  So anyways I came back to Clearlake with a serious need to keep fishing. So I went up to Cache Creek, about 15 min from the house. Started with a sparkle pupa and first cast BAM! Fish on! This fish fought like he was a 15 + incher.  After about 5 min he finally calmed down and I got him in. 12 inches of love!.   :smt007 And as I am mainly a releaser , i decided to keep one for a change. Took a break and third cast , another one! same action, man these fish can fight!  Anyways grilled them up with some butter, salt and fresh garlic. A side of red potatoes and broccoli for a proper dinner!.
fishing is an addiction that never goes away

surfingmarmot

Nice work. Fly fishing is my favorite fishing in so many ways. No lead to spoil the fight, th lures, teh casting, the challenge of stalking the fish (more like hunting thatn fishign in some ways). I am brining my 9-weights to Bendo 2 and I hope to get to use 'em.

Loch Leven

• Rain or Shine
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks!  :smt002  yeah a 9 wt? wow!!   You might need that at Mendo !   Ive gone out a few times for LM on Clearlake with my rod, but still no luck.  Trout and Steelhead will always be my first  :smt007

surfingmarmot

I reckon I've caught a few Stripers on a fly. You can use 7-weights but if you get a big fish, you'll stand a good chance of tiring it to death before you can get it in and it might die after release. Since I C&R mostly I use the 9's to be able to 'horse' them a bit to save their strength and life.

East Walker, never fished it yet, but its legendary. Done Crowley in a kayak several years back. Way better than a float tube especially in that wind that kicks up.

Loch Leven

• Rain or Shine
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
East Walker is always a challenge but the size of the browns there make it legendary.  There a ton of lakes up there that would be great for the Yak. Ofcourse one of them being Twin Lakes where the record brown was caught. I believe it was 26 lbs or so! :smt007  And then there is Kermin lake which is maybe more reasonable to float tube because its a walk. Shit Virginia lake is perfect lots of brookies and you can drive on a paved road right to it.   I love that area!

Next for me will be the Yuba since its close and then up to the Trinity, Mccloud, and Pit.   I got the itch and since mendo has been mean to me , im going fly fishing!.  :smt005

Loch Leven

• Rain or Shine
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
I didnt want to start another thread on the East Walker but here are a few shots .

Loch Leven

• Rain or Shine
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
A closer shot, 17 inch brown ,, what a fight! I had to run down the river to keep from him getting off..  As i was only using a size #20 nymph! :smt007

Loch Leven

• Rain or Shine
  • Salmon
  • View Profile

Loch Leven

• Rain or Shine
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
Coming into the Antelope Valley  :smt007

surfingmarmot

Beautiful. Thanks for the pictures. As traffic got worse and wrose through the valley, I find I jsut don't have teh time to go there much any more. I really miss the Sierra. And that view from the pass (Monitor I think) is always incredible. Maybe I need to get up there for Oct: Crowley, Upper Owens, East walker--heck West Walker, Twin Lakes.

Loch Leven

• Rain or Shine
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks!

You are very right about it being Monitor Pass.  Last time I went up the Sonora Pass and burnt the heck out of my breaks!  so Monitor was much better :smt002

surfingmarmot

Also Topaz Lake is down along there somewhere if I am not mistaken. I need to go to Topaz Lake and fish for Tiger Trout one of these days as well. Don't know much about them or how to catch them though. They are a funky hybrid only found there I understand.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
That's a gorgeous Brown  :smt007 I'd like like to get one with a light tackle set-up (since I know nothing about fly fishing) using 4# mono with a small rooster tail  :smt002

Loch Leven

• Rain or Shine
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks! :smt002  Yeah he fought like a hog!   You should look into it, I think its the best way to feel the fish when fighting it.

That's a gorgeous Brown  :smt007 I'd like like to get one with a light tackle set-up (since I know nothing about fly fishing) using 4# mono with a small rooster tail  :smt002

surfingmarmot

Mooch, Fly fishing takes a bit to learn, but the pay off is the great hunt, take, and unencumbered fight you get--no lead and very little metal in the way.

It doesn't have to e elitist or pricey: I've never paid more for a fly rod than I have a conventional rod. I'll be bringing my 9's to the Forebay as backup since I know how to use them to find Mr Linesides in a pinch (I hope).