Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:25:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Old Town Topwater Series  (Read 7521 times)

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Has anyone been able to try this out? I've been looking at it, as well as other peddle kayaks in the same price range - completely new to peddle and fairly new to kayaks.  I have a tandem Malibu Ocean Kayak so that comment above took my thoughts on this yak down a notch

Fishboundsa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
I saw a guy with it the other day. He was happy with it. I have a Native Slayer 10 and love it. It’s not as fast as a hobie but you can peddle it all day easily. The topwaters drive might be maintenance free but I mine needed to be serviced after a couple years. I think they recommend sooner though and it depends on use. Lite weight and peddle drive equals more trips on the water!
Sean
Blue 10’ Native Propel kayak

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I saw a guy with it the other day. He was happy with it. I have a Native Slayer 10 and love it. It’s not as fast as a hobie but you can peddle it all day easily. The topwaters drive might be maintenance free but I mine needed to be serviced after a couple years. I think they recommend sooner though and it depends on use. Lite weight and peddle drive equals more trips on the water!

Have you tried a Native Manta Ray Propel? Do you like Native? Adding this one to my list to research, it could possibly be the best kayak pricing wise from a shop I just found.  I typically look at AKC because I don't think there's much brick & mortar around here, and if there is the selection is small.  The Topwater PDL looks good for what I'm getting but then I read someone's post about it being too slow and heavy, and for a single 10' that doesn't sound right.  A friend just got a Perception Pescador around the same price range, trying to research that too.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Research is just that, research.... if your going to drop $2000.00 +< on s boat do yourself a favor and test peddle/paddle it first even if it cost to rent one for a day. Just my $0.02

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Research is just that, research.... if your going to drop $2000.00 +< on s boat do yourself a favor and test peddle/paddle it first even if it cost to rent one for a day. Just my $0.02

I hear ya, I'm just not sure this area is a hotbed for purchasing - the brick & mortars I've found either carry one line only, don't carry it all, etc.  If there was some kind of superstore that had everything to demo, I would

Lir

Call or drive up the road to Petaluma , Claveys Paddlesports , Jeff is a good guy .. what's gas $$ money if your gonna drop big $$$ on a kayak ?

http://www.clavey.com/
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:53:31 PM by Spiffy O'Neil »

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Call or drive up the road to Petaluma , Claveys Paddlesports , Jeff is a good guy .. what's gas $$ money if your gonna drop big $$$ on a kayak ?

Clavey is the one that only has Native right? They’re definitely on my mind to try out a MR 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lir

Clavey is the one that only has Native right? They’re definitely on my mind to try out a MR 12

Jeff carries other makes and models as well , as does Dan at Headwaters in Lodi , another good dude . Theres also Hobie dealers both in Santa Rosa and CCK in Oakland

Fishboundsa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
The manta Ray is not as stable as the slayer but it is faster. I got my boat at Headwater in Lodi ( great place) if you want to test it, it’s 5 mins from shop. If u drive from there to Stockton (10-15 mins) a kayak store there has top-water.
Sean
Blue 10’ Native Propel kayak

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Clavey has historically carried Ocean Kayak as well, which uses the same pedal drive as the Old Town.  Good folks there, give them a call.  Not sure what their demo program entails.

Plus, according to their website, they're offering the MR12 at $1600, which is about as cheap as you can get it anywhere.

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

Clavey has historically carried Ocean Kayak as well, which uses the same pedal drive as the Old Town.  Good folks there, give them a call.  Not sure what their demo program entails.

Plus, according to their website, they're offering the MR12 at $1600, which is about as cheap as you can get it anywhere.

That price on their site was enticing, but the more research I did on the MR I don't think it'd be the right fit for the waters I'll usually be in - the bay.  I want something dry and stable, but not a tank.

I have an Ocean Kayak, but it's not a pedal.  It's ok, a wet ride and not that fast.  It'll be more of a touring/go out with someone kayak since it's a tandem.  Think I want to try a different brand from them.

I'll need to find time to make it out to Lodi/Sac/Stockton - the one issue is that the Topwater PDL has that promo sale going on right now where you get that $300 fish finder with the yak, and it expires in a couple days I think.  Time isn't on my side with that one.  Turns out one of my friends in another state saw me comment on a Facebook post yesterday about the Topwaterand texted me asking if I fished from a kayak.  Told him not yet but doing research, and then he gave me his buddy's number to talk to him about kayak fishing - apparently the guy is a tournament fisherman with sponsors.  He was recommending Hobie since that's what he uses, and told me the Topwater probably wouldn't be good for the bay chop and saltwater but thinks it might be second best due to price from the Hobie. Told me to stay away from the pescador pilot.

What really sucks is that the Riot Mako 12' isn't carried by anyone local, and the only dealer in CA is down in Oceanside about a 7 hour drive from me.  The friend hadn't heard of Riot but researched them and told me I wouldn't be dissappointed with the Mako especially for the price.  They can ship me a mako on a $300 flat charge, and with tax that brings it up to $1700 for the color and style [angler] that I want.  Sucks because Amazon has a yellow one with free shipping at $1,250, but each review has said they come slightly damaged.  I'm wondering if some scratches are worth $4-500 bucks, especially because I could use the return policy.  Yellow isn't really one of my choices but I'd be fine with it, and I'm not so sure it's the angler version (they all say and show the same thing practically but come differently - kind of a mess).

Sorry for the long reply.

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
I don't know anything about the Riot. I've heard some generally good things about them, but who really knows.  The risk of buying something mechanical non-local is if you have problems with it, it is a lot more difficult to deal with from a service standpoint.  I don't know anything about their pedal drive other than it is new.  My guess is that at the price point, you'll start seeing them in big box stores sometime soon.

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
What I've told people is now that almost everyone has a pedal drive, the importance of having a local dealer that can help you if issues arise is by far the most important thing.  There have been issues with drives from almost every manufacturer as they go through their growing pains.  Some dealers cost a little more, but their service is so much better.  Others will beat any price you can find, but won't be there to service you if you need them.

If you want to see the OT in person, Kayak City in Sac is the place to go most likely.  I'm sure they'd be happy to fight for your business.  They also carry Native there as well, not sure if they have the manta ray in store. They also carry wilderness, hobies, jackson. That being said, they don't offer on the water demos, which is a knock.  Also, take anything they say with a grain of salt.

SuperVato

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
The Topwater has the best non-Hobie drive unit on the market. Let’s get back on topic. Original poster didn’t ask about Native or Headwaters who doesn’t sell Ocean Kayak. You guys kill me
“All men are equal before fish.”
― Herbert  Hoover    

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
The Topwater has the best non-Hobie drive unit on the market. Let’s get back on topic. Original poster didn’t ask about Native or Headwaters who doesn’t sell Ocean Kayak. You guys kill me

Have you been in one of those topwater PDL's? I'm not sure how it would hold up to saltwaver and chop/waves, I didn't seem them talk about saltwater much which wasn't reassuring.

anything