Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

[Today at 06:25:09 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

Based on Shark Shield's advertising, do you believe that proper usage of a Shark Shield keeps you safe from shark attack?

Yes.
17 (27%)
No.
12 (19%)
Unsure.  But having one can't hurt.
34 (54%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 11:04:35 AM

Topic: Shark Shield - Yay or Nay  (Read 8708 times)

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Are there any other similar products on the market?
2015 TI
2017 Outback

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Any chance this gets done before the Roots Tournament in Santa Cruz on Sunday, October 18th?  Not trying to rush, just curious.

Formerdiver

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Are there any other similar products on the market?

Not that I am aware of or would consider using.

Any chance this gets done before the Roots Tournament in Santa Cruz on Sunday, October 18th?  Not trying to rush, just curious.

We can do a group NCKA purchase now with 10% off through shop but as far as the extras from SS we have sent a few emails and should have some answer Monday.  They usually get to us within a week and I can get them to everyone next day, free shipping over 100.00.

Matt

weldhuntfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Thats alot of money for us less than 6 figure blue collar folks with the "HOPE" you wont get nailed. Thats almost the price of a kayak! What next, dumb driver shield? Bear n mtn lion shields for hunting and hiking? Aerial bird poop shield? 3-4k later youl be safe!
" The fish are where you find em ". Grandpa. R.I.P & fuck you cancer!

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Just an update, I am working with Shark Shield to see what kind of deal we can do.  At the end of the day if we have to do a group buy with NCKA discount through the shop then we will do that.  At this moment does not seem that I can get 3 year warranty extended but I am trying.

I'll let you guys know next week.

Matt

Thanks Matt!  And Craig too for hounding them on FB. 
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
The Fb sales rep did not have any deals for me and he says the can only give those deals at 'presentations' per their sales /dealer agreements

My hope now is to hear back from  Matt whether he can work a deal ...If not I can  just go straight through shark shields site and pay full price 649 + 139 for the 3 yr..and tax and shipping   :smt010
wanting a new freedom 7 and the 3 year warranty for the extra $$$

going to wait and see if Matt has heard anything...hope soon...wanted to have one for my wife by the 15th-16Th

btw used the shield for my first long day 630 a.m until 2+ p.m..stayed green lighted all day 7 hours easy... but finally ran out and was 100% dead and would not make even the 'low charge' red light when I checked it just before landing...they say 'up to 7 hrs' so that seems right

I bumped my game clip against it again when wetting my fish and even the dead ones(almost all were dead)began to vibrate and twitch  for a while even after the contact was not there

later in the day I was sitting wide legged with feet in the water , to access my center hatch, and thought I felt my hip muscle twitching from the position I was cramped in ...when  I noticed the swell was tapping the SS pig tail against my outer hip  ...twitching it  :smt003
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:07:15 PM by trianglelaguna »
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I am probably going to buy one soon...

That would be a real test. Can it keep me from landing sharks all the damn time?!  :smt005
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
The Fb sales rep did not have any deals for me and he says the can only give those deals at 'presentations' per their sales /dealer agreements

My hope now is to hear back from  Matt whether he can work a deal ...If not I can  just go straight through shark shields site and pay full price 649 + 139 for the 3 yr..and tax and shipping   :smt010
wanting a new freedom 7 and the 3 year warranty for the extra $$$

going to wait and see if Matt has heard anything...hope soon...wanted to have one for my wife by the 15th-16Th

btw used the shield for my first long day 630 a.m until 2+ p.m..stayed green lighted all day 7 hours easy... but finally ran out and was 100% dead and would not make even the 'low charge' red light when I checked it just before landing...they say 'up to 7 hrs' so that seems right

I bumped my game clip against it again when wetting my fish and even the dead ones(almost all were dead)began to vibrate and twitch  for a while even after the contact was not there

later in the day I was sitting wide legged with feet in the water , to access my center hatch, and thought I felt my hip muscle twitching from the position I was cramped in ...when  I noticed the swell was tapping the SS pig tail against my outer hip  ...twitching it  :smt003

OOC, Are you attaching it to the kayak (like the grab handle) or to your ankle?
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I put it on the side of my seat  where it can velcro around the strap supports and use a tether just in case to my milk crate ..and it dangles over the side perfect amount ,down, and trails out a bit behind when drifting-- down when calm etc
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

― Kurt Vonnegut

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I put it on the side of my seat  where it can velcro around the strap supports and use a tether just in case to my milk crate ..and it dangles over the side perfect amount ,down, and trails out a bit behind when drifting-- down when calm etc

So you broke down and bought a SS. Well what do you think does it give you peace of mind?
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Cool. I've had one for 6 years and have yet to use it.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
wizz --see if charges and then set it aside a few days and plug in again see how long it takes to bump back to full charge""

as a bench mark my new Sshiedl on sunday after fishing gets plugged in and will go full green light charged from blinking red 'charging' so monday a.m its sitting there plugged in green---then i put it aside and before going fishing later in the week---right before i plug it in again and it blinks red a few minutes then greens full again

wonder what yours after 6 years does---does it still even charge..have you tried...im thinking along the lines of tool batteries being left dead too long--no good etc

― Kurt Vonnegut

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I know for me the most impressive thing about this thread--is seeing first hand how hard Matt went to bat to try and put this product in ncka members hands

a lot of work went into his end and I for one want to say thank you

The fact that S shield does not have much flex on pricing to offer kind speaks for the support they set up for their dealers and the fact that they have the best/only product of this type

That said Matt has done and is doing all possible to try and help us out here----
if anyone here is still interested in shark shield please  take second and p.m Matt---he is trying to do us favor and must be creative within their dealer rules to even 'try' and help a select few get new shield soon

so all who expressed interest maybe send a thank you to him today so you can hear for your self where a group buy might be now

― Kurt Vonnegut

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Dont forget Dave at Kayak Connection in Santa Cruz and Moss Landing also went well out of his way to put on a SS demo night, complete with free beer, pizza and A-Hulls  :smt002 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Formerdiver

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I will be sending PM's to those who expressed interest this afternoon.

Thank you all for your patience,

Matt