Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:15:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 6 member hookup @ Shelter Cove  (Read 4817 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Got back to the Cove this morning by 6:45 with the forecast having changed to 10-20 north wind and 6-8' swell.  The guys were just getting up and MByakker (Chris) had arrived in the night along with some friends of Pat who weren't fishing.  I was anxious to get on the water as I knew the wind could start blowing any time.  I headed out and trolled around and south of the bell buoy where we saw a couple of powerboats working last night.  By around 9ish the fleet of yaks headed out and several powerboats too.  After Hawk and Etienne were disappointed to find no crabs in their traps we all headed out toward the whistle buoy trolling.  We got there and the wind was begining to blow from the north.  We decided to head into the wind so we could coast back with it.  So we paddled north for a good hour catching assorted rockfish, but no salmon.  The radio talk was "slow bite" again, and we heard of a few salmon caught by the powerboats, but plenty were skunked.  We get about 1/2-3/4 mile north of the whistle, working against the wind and current and then decide to paddle out deeper as the wind dies for a bit.  Then the wind goes 180 degrees against the forecast and starts blowing about 15 knots from the southeast.  Whitecaps everywhere and we're a couple miles from the launch.  It took a while, but everyone made it in over the next hour and a half or so.  I had four species of rockies inadvertently hooked while salmon trolling and had a salmon on for about 10 seconds before it shook off - Hawk was ready with the net - thanks, Hawk!  Pat got a good strike on a blue and silver crocodile at one point, and otherwise we had no salmon love.  What a day on the water though.  It was awesome out there!  The sun was out, the swell was negotiable, it felt like a summer day at times.  In dealing with the inclement weather, winds, and seas, I was especially impressed with how everyone handled themselves on their boats.  It was really nice to hang with a group of seasoned open-ocean yakkers who could take good care of themselves even in much less than ideal conditions.  Once we came in and got some lunch Sailfish (Sonny) showed up and bought some nice Dungeness from a commercial guy on the beach.  We all went rockfishing for a couple of hours at a couple of spots.  There were an assortment of greenlings and a cab caught and many other bites, but generally the shorefishing was a bit slow.  A good time was had by all though, and I think we were all impressed and at ease with our NCKA acquaintances that we were solidifying by meeting in person.  It kinda felt like we were a group of NCKA geeks!  The scariest part of that being that I liked it ~  :smt003  I had to bail at sunset, so I shook everyone's hand and wished them luck in catching a salmon tomorrow morning, then they have to drive home.  We all agreed that there need to be more NCKA hookups at Shelter Cove in the future.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

imgonnayak

Nice looking group.  Too bad the fish weren't cooperating. I'm sure you guys will find success soon enough though.

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
good stuff :smt003...Got ta make it up that way..Sounds like that ready to break soon....Danglin
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Nice try guys...at least you had a brief hookup.

Bigfoot

• Sea Lion
  • moochariffic
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
 Great pics and even better info. Any other Yaks on the water? the pic of you all in the shadows is classic. Thanks for the report and great effort you guys.
Bigfoot
Randall Ray Nelums
Cell (510) 305 0471

MBYakker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Shelter Cove was awesome!  Fishing the area with these hardcore locals was even more awesome.  Catching a salmon woulda been cool . .but that's what next times are for.  I'm already planning mine.  Looking forward to fishing with all you guys again either up there or down in Monterey or elsewhere.

Fishing is cool

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Randall - I've very rarely seen any other yaks at Shelter Cove.  One August or September a few years back there was a CenCal dive/spearfishing meet at the Cove, so there were a dozen or more of them about in yaks, otherwise I don't think I've ever seen any yak-fisherpeople there that I didn't bring or meet there.  There is a shop in town that rents yaks, but it's slow to catch on.

Chris - I love your attitude!  Next time is already formulating itself in my head too.  Being anxious to get on the water this early in the season was unavoidable, but to hear Etienne say he can probably only swing one long drive up here a year kinda bummed me - I want you guys that make the drive to experience the full glory!   :smt001  I guess the next get together would be best planned for the warmer months with rockfish and abalone open.  The salmon bite can't be predicted, but the Summer months definitely hold the potential for bigger salmon and a more consistent bite.  I'm also thinking we might consider renting a house...  more on that later on. 

It was great to meet everyone:  Chris/MBYakker, Etienne/Sackyak, Pat/SinCoast, Hawk/Swellrider, and Sonny/Sailfish.  I wanted to stay last night and go again with you guys this morning, but I was pretty burnt today - did anyone go out?

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That was the best time I have had not catching fish while trying, ever  :smt003 .  I have a few photos at home and some more detailed comments for when work is not so stacked up but I really want to thank the guys for making this a really fun time.  I was very happy to meet everyone, and it is amazing how we all got along so well having never met before.  The NCKA brotherhood and sisterhood (though on this trip) is strong.  Erik, I will try my best to make it up there again soon.  I was already working my wife with the idea last night.  Also thanks for the photos.  I will PM you with my e-mail address later so you can send me a copy of the one with me pulling my trap with the snow on the mountain in the background. 

This is a great place to fish and we all agreed that it is a great place for a larger NCKA gathering in the future.
Etienne

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Wow, that was a sweet fishing trip!
Long drive and no salmon but I still had a kickass time. It was really cool to meet everybody.
Etienne, Chris, and I didn't go out on Sunday morning. We had to pack up and get on the road...and we were totally burned out from hte previous two days of paddling. (Or, at least, I was!)

I still can't quite comprehend the wind on Saturday. It was blowing out of the northwest, like always, so we paddled upwind (probably too far) to make for an easy drift back...and then the wind changed direction 180 degrees! It was a tough paddle back against the south wind. But it eased up for a little bit and wasn't that bad once we got closer to shore. Definitely not close to the worst WX I've paddled. But it could have been real bad, based on the wind direction and our location.
Also, I felt really safe with Hawk out there. He has got his 'stuff' together, thats for sure.

It was cool to catch some nice fish from shore too. I am really looking forward to returning in May so I can get some abs, rockies, salmon, and halibut!!! The house rental idea sounds good too.

We met a very animated local on Saturday night. He's lived there for 30 years and he had tons of stories to tell us. He was pretty much crazy. That was one of the many highlights of the trip.

Alright, I gotta get back to work!
PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
Dang!
Apparently, we should have fished on Sunday too...check out this report from another site:

3/3/07
--Short day today, First time this year kind of stuff. Forgot plyers, broke my brand new lamiglass,almost forgot the plug, run of the mill type stuff. Got a late start and still got my limit of SALMON, 1 was a real dink and was released next to the boat, the other was a nice for dinner 6 pounder. The grade is still small but some radio talk had some 15 to 18ners, But I didn't see any that big. Most fish were in the area of the whistle. Back at it tomorrow and will look for better grade. This years 1st trip was GOOD, maybe next time will be GOOD and PLENTY. They are only launching on fri thru sun. at the tractor service so don't come up if you can;t self launch. PEACE and tight lines David
-How deep is it at the Whistle? around 100ft I got mine inside in about 75' on a blue and green apex at 37 ft down off the rigger.

3/4/07
--Ok lets put this in perspective TODAY WAS UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We got launched at 10 and had limits in 1 1/2 hrs. The fishing was great! We stopped at six, two released boatside and four nice fish for this time of year. All between 12 and 14 lbs. I would call it wide open on a flat ass calm day. Cruised out around the whistle again and just startred catching right away. Then I said " I'm Not ready to go in lets go find us some whales". So off we went at 30mph like I said flat flat flat.We had only just powered up when off to my port was a spout and the another and more and more!!!!! I swear less than two miles from where we limited I set down and turned off the engines in the middle of a pod of migrating grays!!!!! All around the boat! Tomorrow I will go to costco and by a new digital camera just for on the Riptide. Time to start posting some pics. Thanks for listening David

Sonny...Hawk...did you guys score on Sunday?!!

Already planning the May trip,
PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

LoletaEric

• Manatee
This is killing me, PK!   :smt005  I don't know if I believe all of it - I never heard talk of any 15-18 pounders, but then again, they're pretty tight-lipped down there...  Well, live and learn and try again, eh?   :smt001

What site is that from?

Eric

swellrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile Humboats.com
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
To all the fellas that made the drive and fished the cove I want to extend a heartfelt thank-you for the effort. We didn't get any Salmon but it wasn't for lack of trying. Sonny and I stayed out till noon on sunday and started to hear about PB's hooking up on fish but were already on shore by then. For me the highlight of the weekend was to be out fishing with brothers who are as in to it as I am. I was equally impressed with everyones ability to handle the sudden rough weather. As a pro-guide these are the things you worry about but with this group there was no need. On the water it felt like a wolf pack on the hunt. We were all spread evenly and any salmon in the area would have for sure fallen prey to our barbless hooks. I hope we can do it again this summer when the main brunt of Salmon move back into the area. Now that I've had a taste of communal fishing I think I'll make more of an effort to hook up with my NCKA brothers wherever the bite is hot and the evening comraderie merry!!!
HUMBOATS KAYAK ADVENTURES
www.humboats.com

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Brothers is a good word for it.  While my mother did not provide me with any NCKA certainly has.

We were seriously wondering about the weather while driving up. Photo  1

Pat and I were tired and cold after setting up the tent and eating lunch Friday we were planning on shore fishing but.  As soon as Hawk arrived and we checked out the beach and just started unloading gear.  Eric showed up and after introductions we were on our way.  The basic story has been told here is what I leaned.

Good to get some local information regarding crabbing locations.  I believe we set the crabs too close to the launch for this late in the season.  By the time we heard they should have been further south we were focused on Salmon.

We all say how the weather can suddenly change on the ocean but in all my time on SF Bay and Monterey, Big Sur, the North Coast of Sonoma and elsewhere, Shelter Cove really demonstrated it for me this time.  Nothing was more than could be handled by our seasoned crew but the rapid changes in wind direction and associated wind waves on top of the opposite swell made a damp bumpy ride and illustrated how fast things can change.  If the intensity had increased say 25-50% more it could have been less than pleasant.  As it was we were challenged but not deterred.  I even paddled further upwind to retrieve my traps after the wind switch, most to avoid going out the next day.

The drive up there is not so bad.  While 7 hours from Monterey sounds like a lot, Pat and I talked the whole way and time flew by.  We barely listened to a single CD.  On the way home we stopped at the West Marine Bargain Store and saw some photos of I believe it was Danglin on a notice board.  Too bad they are closing that store.

I need to find something for my wife and Natalie to do up there so that I can visit again for fishing but so that it will not detract too much from family time.  Suggestions are welcome but they do not like to fish.  Eric, it was so much fun, how could I not work out another trip there when we can target even more species.  But you also need to come down here and fish with us sometime.

Hawk, you are the most knowledgeable person I have ever met with regard to kayaking and associated
topics and especially but not limited to safety and technique.  I really like your low key but serious approach to the safety issues.  If I ever win the lottery I will be contacting you to purchase one of those awesome dry suits like the one you wore.

I hope that next time the weather is as nice and the fishing is better but I will be happy with just better fishing as it sound like the weather there can limit kayak fun much of the time. 

A few more photos, Pat and Chris at the launch Saturday and the light house with whistle bouy and Hawk and Sonny (thanks for the crab) in the background Sunday morning but the are too small to see  :smt003 .

Pat.  I ended up with your CD and all of the leftovers.  We will eat the food and drink the beer unless you want some of it back.  I still need to get my gear cleaned up and put away.  At least I avoided going to SF this morning.
Etienne

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
Is this thing at 2 pages yet?

Thanks for the pics guys. I'm going to save these to my computer.

Etienne, we can meet up later this week so I can pickup my CD. No biggie. I knew I'd forget something.
I was soo tired on the drive home that I felt like a zombie.
Although, the drive wasn't really THAT bad. I am used to driving it solo or with my parents...and time goes much slower. The road from the 101 to the Cove wasn't nearly as bad as I recalled too.

Almost forgot! The Hopland Brewery was awesome. That is going to be my new ritual---to stop at the Hopland Brewery every trip to The Cove.

PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Nice to hear all the positive feedback here - great trip!   :smt001