Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:05:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Cleaning crab  (Read 1341 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Smelliest garbage can ever.  I got the crab home no ice but live.  Took pics on sidewalk.  Doubled up a 13 gallon garbage bag and opened on sidewalk.  Took my oyster shucker and pried up the back of shell and ripped off the top, scraped off all the gills and viscera over the bag and broke in half.  Put in large bowl.  1/2 stomach 1/2 legs pieces.  Took out the spray hose for finer cleaning of smutz and sea.  Portable burner outside with pressure cooker.  Three batches with new water each time.  Once the pressure is up turn to medium, 3 minutes, bring to sink and depressurize with cool water.  Throw in ice water to chill.  Crack and clean some for dinner.  Only my wife, one daughter, and myself enjoy crab for now.  Homemade cocktail sauce for me, and garlic butter for the rest, toasted buttered sourdough and some vino as well.  Much more to clean and store.  Was thinking about pressure canning, but for now vacuum seal and eat soon.  6 mos. later vacuum sealed is a funky texture for me.  My wife didn't mind because she loves crab so much, but not nearly the same as fresh. This is a big ass stainless bowl as you can imagine.  Bon Appetit' :smt006
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 07:33:20 AM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Nice... never tried cooking them in a pressure cooker. I either boil (water plus lots of salt and sometimes some Old Bay), or steam (water or sometimes white wine).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
If you've got a garden, you should bury your scraps/shells/carcasses in it. Makes great fertilizer. Just make sure you dig your hole at least a foot or so deep so critters don't try to dig it up.

Happy plants and no smelly garbage can....

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
No soil yet, condo life, I've steamed them couple times but I find pressure to be more efficient for flavor and cleanup.  Legally, can I clean and strip the crabs and bring them home in the cooler gutted parted and iced? :chef:

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

lazyhook

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Not really.  You have to be able to show that the crabs in your possession meet the minimum size limits.  Since the size is measured across the carapace, how would you propose to clean the crabs while still maintaining that?

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
No soil yet, condo life, I've steamed them couple times but I find pressure to be more efficient for flavor and cleanup.  Legally, can I clean and strip the crabs and bring them home in the cooler gutted parted and iced? :chef:

Yes, once you get to the beach you can eviscerate and pack in your cooler cleaned and iced.  This is how I've done it for years now.  Hold the crab by the back 3 legs on each side, smack the mouth of the crab on the corner of my pickup tailgate, rip off carapace clean out gills and guts, rinse with ocean water, bag and put into cooler.

Not really.  You have to be able to show that the crabs in your possession meet the minimum size limits.  Since the size is measured across the carapace, how would you propose to clean the crabs while still maintaining that?

Once you are on shore you can clean them.  The only catch that you need to maintain in a condition to ascertain legal size once ashore is abalone and lobster.  The burden of proof isn't on you, its on the game warden. Go ahead and clean at the beach.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Yes, once you get to the beach you can eviscerate and pack in your cooler cleaned and iced.  This is how I've done it for years now.  Hold the crab by the back 3 legs on each side, smack the mouth of the crab on the corner of my pickup tailgate, rip off carapace clean out gills and guts, rinse with ocean water, bag and put into cooler.

Once you are on shore you can clean them.  The only catch that you need to maintain in a condition to ascertain legal size once ashore is abalone and lobster.  The burden of proof isn't on you, its on the game warden. Go ahead and clean at the beach.
Super stoked! Saves tons of meticulous clean station stuff at home :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Same up here, but I  carry a cooler and 5 gallon bucket... grab the crab like your just holding it from the back, slam his stomach into the edge of the cooler to crack and stun, grab all the lags and claws in your hands with the back of your hands under it's shell (with the face away from you) turn your wrist so the thumbs rotate down while holding it tight .... if you do it right the back of your hand pops the shell and as you pivot your hands it cracks in half... then pull all the gunk rinse in the sea water that's in the bucket and drop in the cooler. If anyone is interested next time I shell some I'll do a short video and post a link.  :smt006.
On the plus side doing it on the beach keeps the tourist from talking to you as they think your a barbaric mad man.    :smt044
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:03:35 PM by Mojo Jojo »

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Live2Fish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I clean mine at home...I live close to the bay so if I dont toss em in the trash I drive to the docks and feed the scavengers.  I pop the top shell off on the corner of my cleaning table it works pretty good just like OysterBoy says.  I always boil.  But they never last long enough to bother canning.  But Id be interested to know if anyone does and how it effects the meat.

Chinclan

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Eddie, 

Thanks for sharing and starting this thread.  How do the rock crabs taste compared to the Dungeness?

Ben

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Eddie, 

Thanks for sharing and starting this thread.  How do the rock crabs taste compared to the Dungeness?

Ben
Hi Ben, we ate dungees last night and I kept the rock aside.  I will let you know if I taste a difference.  Claws are beautiful. :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
When you have to many crabs you can make crab cakes and freeze them, lots of work but they hold up well frozen.
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
You'll notice a difference, I've found rocks are unique, kind of spicier/ peppery,their great esp
When the claws are full.
Dungies are great  but a variety
Is always nice.
Heading out this sat[emoji1303][emoji1360]

2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

Chinclan

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I'll have to do a taste test after the next time I go out.    Thanks for giving me an idea of what to expect. 

anything