Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:54:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Places to eat after a fishing trip......  (Read 76423 times)

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ok, I can't eat fish but... When in Bodega bay there is a burger joint! The Dog house, right next to the post office. Great steak burgers or hot dogs. Small Ice cream shop next door for dessert. Did I mention ALL YOU CAN EAT FRIES... :smt003 Me and my three girls about put them out of business one weekend. They had to go buy more potatoes :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
  • "kick his ass sea-bass!"
  • View Profile delta rats & salty bay dogs
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
timas cafe in mcavoys served a mean breakfast , after an all night sturgeon slay session we would hit timas
www.mossdalemilitia.com
 once you go yak , you dont go back
"But really though, I dont know how my wifes cucumber melon bodywash got in my dive bag"

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:23:17 PM by Mooch »

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Me and my three girls about put them out of business one weekend. They had to go buy more potatoes

:smt044
<=>

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:14:25 PM by Mooch »

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Chuck E turned me onto this East Bay gem:

Nayong Filipino food, 1796 Whipple, Union City.

Had sisig, kare kare, and bbq pork there yesterday, and all of them were delicious.  Big portions.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Chuck E turned me onto this East Bay gem:

Nayong Filipino food, 1796 Whipple, Union City.

Had sisig, kare kare, and bbq pork there yesterday, and all of them were delicious.  Big portions.

Went there with Frankfishing...The sisig at Toppings in South City is still the best IMO.

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
If you are passing through Auburn to or from Tahoe give Ikeda's a try.  There may be a line (sometimes outside the door).

Ikeda's
13500 Lincoln Way
Auburn, CA 95603
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

drvoolittle

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
So, how does one distinguish between good and great Pho?
Well...  Depends on the business, they all make it differently for starters.  Some are also a little uncouth with their daily practices, so they do things like water down the broth to stretch it a bit further on busy days (or when they see whiteys like me).  Others just don't have a great taste to start off with, usually a bit bland.

One thing you can always do to spice it up a bit is ask for them to bring you some of the oil from the pot as flavoring.  I cant spell it, but its pronounced something like Nuck Mao (nuch bao?)?  Its usually brought over with green onions in a bowl, add a scoop of it to your soup.

The recipe is very simple, but requires a seasoning packet that my co-worker gets from his Mom :)  But basics of it are ox tails, shank, roasted white or yellow onion, roasted ginger, and the seasoning packet he gives me with anise, clove, and what ever else is in there.  Season it with chicken stock/broth and fish sauce.  Toss in some rice noodles, thin sliced beef, green onions, sprouts, and a ton of Siracha.  Yum....

If anyone is in Mountain View and wants to try my favorite place, for consistency, service and flavor, its Pho Vi Hoa on the Los Altos side of El Camino, kiddie corner to San Antonio shopping center.

Cheers :)

Al,
The fatty broth is called "nuoc beo" or literally translated as creamy/fatty water/broth. Oxtail can be tricky because you have to cook it a long time under slow heat to get it nice and soft, but I agree that oxtail pho is to die for. Good pho is all about the broth and good broth takes a LONG time to cook. You literally have to make the beef broth from scratch from beef bones/parts along with the roasted onions/ginger. Then you add the spice mix. After that you add the fish sauce to taste. You boil the pho noodles separately like spaghetti and pour in the broth. Add meat and serve! Hope that helps

It was cool meeting you, OTW last week when you limited out on the WSB, BTW

Cheers,
Vu
Vu

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
back to subject , since ive been doing monterey alot i stop in seaside at the valero gas station and get a sandwhich at subway ..lol
Dude if you want a sandwich on the way back from Monterey, hit the Buy Rite Market (on Casa Verde a block down from Del Monte) or Randys Sandwich shop (on 10th St north of el estero lake). Buy Rite is pretty damn good. For burgers, there's a place in Seaside called Phat Burger (on del monte north of Embassy suites). Or if you're coming back from Carmel, there's RG Burgers in the Crossroads mall @ Rio rd. Alright now I'm getting off track. And hungry wtf!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
If you're passing thru San Jose, Talaquepaque #2 has good food and excellent Chavelas.  Pho Y on Capitol Expwy has some of the best pho in San Jose.
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

gone fishing

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
You gotta try the sandbar and grill, on fishermens warf in Monterey. Great seafood, looking out huge windows out at the marina and of course good booze.

frankfishing

7 Mile House Sports Bar & Grill in Brisbane
 The menu was Filipino, Italian, and American everything was good.
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/p526x296/1779252_1442636762638731_1239265446_n.jpg

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Who agrees that Barbara's FishTrap clam chowwda resembles fish-flavored chile verde than proper chowda?  $14 bux for a medium - i'm over it dude!

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I tried the lemon grass restaurant for clam chowder. Was excellent the time i was there. Not over powered with cream and the most clams ive ever had. And sand free. Had the order to go. As we waited at the bar for our order to go. The presentation on plates being served looked great. Nedd to visit again. Clam chowder was 10 bucks. Nice little bar while u wait. In Moss landing near the charlie moss cafe

Alex
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:09:06 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback