Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Coosa FD  (Read 15922 times)

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Glad you finally got it!!! I would join you Thursday but it's my busy season at work.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
JK has had some serious shipping issues lately. I know one guy who ordered a new yak back in November and it still isn't here (even though they said it was included in a recent dealer shipment). And they are charging their team members an extra $200+ to ship their kayaks now. I've seen the back & forth with their customer service and it's borderline embarrassing.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I've seen the back & forth with their customer service and it's borderline embarrassing.

The whole experience has left a lot to be desired.

When it rains it pours I guess. My wife is developing flu like symptoms so tomorrow is currently looking bleak. I can't catch a break!

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
 You have to tell me how that Coosa FD is on the water! I am really hoping its like a Cadillac because I may invest in one this year. Keep me in the loop. Thanks!

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Soooooooo, let's talk coosa FD. After 3.5hr on the water and it 30-45 seconds in it I can give a one sided review. I am 6" 230lbs and I can stand in it. It motors around. Reverse and rudder leave a bit to be desired. I can get motoring and cruise around quite a bit but the pedals completely suck. Will be switching for aggressive mountain bike pedals asap and wet shoes slip on the stock pedals.

The drive system is a lot clunkier than I was expecting. I was expecting a recumbent exercise bike smoothness and I felt like it was just rough. Had to move the seat a few times during the day as well as it seemed to feel off. I took the yak out from tuttletown rec free launch to the bridge and it was not a problem nor did it feel terrible difficult.

The learning curve. Standing up feels great. Sitting is comfortable. Leaning over to change lure resulted in a cold lesson in tipping point. Luckily the only casualties were my flip phone, pride and a cheap metal stringer. The rest of the gear  was bungeed or leashed and aside from a few floaters I was able to get back in and recover everything.  I am lucky the wife was sick so the start was late cause it was cold this morning. After coming to shore and finding some dryer clothes I was able to go back out.

Gripes. Pedal drive leaves a bit to desire. Hitting reverse from full forward has no effect on kicking the drive up and is responsive to some extent. The rudder control was annoying and not as responsive as I had hoped. The gear tracks are great but the raised screws make installation or some things a pain in the butt. Rod tip storage protection not as useful as I had hoped. Biggest gripe that almost cost me a ton. The dry bag connected to the seat is weak. I got to shore after the flip to find it hanging by a strap. Take some zip ties, wire or anything but please don't trust the Velcro straps. Would have cost me the keys and wallet if the other strap failed. Aside from lunch and a jacket that sack is useless without increased connection to the yak.

All in all I had a blast and learned some things. I just wish that I could have caught some fish. I now know a friend in a sundolphin is not going to allow me to safely fish so I need a new kayak fishing buddy. Aside from that, let me know if you have any questions. I am off to get a warm shower and get the rest of the water out of my hull. Took at least a gallon in  upon flip.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Great start...did you have to change the seat height for pedaling and change it back for fishing?  I told you not to get wet, sorry...I hope you are pleased with your ride.  I am a jackson supporter and I hope they can keep up.  I could not imagine standing on a kayak but it would be good for stretching.  I hope the ergonomics of it come together for you and you, as you said...catch some super sized record fish from that coosa!  Hope your wife gets well soon.  Sick season sucks for everyone. :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Wow..I am disappointed to hear all of that. The yak looks so dang cool! If you lined it up with 10 other new pedal drive yaks on the showroom floor I'd surely be attracted to the Coosa first. Im hoping to test it out someday..just go put my own curiousity to rest.
Thanks for the review. I really do appreciate it.

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Wow..I am disappointed to hear all of that. The yak looks so dang cool! If you lined it up with 10 other new pedal drive yaks on the showroom floor I'd surely be attracted to the Coosa first. Im hoping to test it out someday..just go put my own curiousity to rest.
Thanks for the review. I really do appreciate it.

Just remember I have never been in a kayak until today. Not sure how it compares to others since I have never been in a native, hobie, wilderness or old town.  If you are ever in Sonora, hit me up and you can give it a spin. I am curious what folks with more experience would make of it.

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Bummer you went for a swim. Where your head goes your body will follow. Let me know if you ever make it out on a weekend and I will join you.

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Thanks for the review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I learned a ton and all I lost was a cheap flip phone so not a big deal. I will hit you up in the near future Mike.  Definitely want to get out again asap.

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Been reading all of this thread because I’ve been interested in the Coosa FD for bass fishing.  I like the videos on how the drive pops up over shallow stuff and I assumed a peddle drive would be easier for ‘reverse’ than the pull cords on my Hobie boats.  It looks like the reviews are mixed on the reverse performance but Jackson is working on it.  I’m more concerned with how you flipped that barge!  I have both a ProAngler and an Outback and in lakes with wind, chop, and power boats waking the crap out of me haven’t come close to flipping. Also fished the delta,  Benicia, and Tomales in some wind and chop and not felt like I was going for a swim.  I’ve sailed my ProAngler and have taken it to the edge - and not flipped.  I can easily stand on flat water on the ProAngler.  (I’m 5’11” / 205 lbs). ...so how did you flip the Jackson Coosa.   Is it hull design?  Initial versus late stability?   I’d love to hear what people’s thoughts are on that. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
He said it was his first time out..on a kayak. Taking a drink is likely to happen at some point.

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
He dumped because it was his first time out and he didn't know that where his head went his body would follow. He just leaned over to far.

Angle I'm planning on going out for a bit Sunday if you're u can make it. 

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
As everyone else already said. I have zero kayak experience. That being said I had a down rigger attached with a 2lb ball I had a ton of excess crap in the included seat back dry bag including another 2lb cannon ball. I am 6' 230lbs and I am not sure if the Velcro on one of sides of the seat failed on the flip or prior. If prior the whole dry bag on the seat back was leaning with me throw in the small cooler in the front with a small brick like batter likely sliding left in conjunction with cockiness and a lack of kayak stability knowledge ended with a nice brisk wakeup call.  Last I checked, shit happens. Got it flipped and back in quick. Had a dry sack with a rain jacket inside so I was able to ditch the wet tops and carry on. I planned well enough to not really lose anything and I righted the boat and recovered. Good lessons. Dry bag on seat back is not a good spot for anything but lunch and a coat. Still needs some zip ties extra as well. Pack lighter until I get the swing of things. Don't lean to far over the side. Roll dry bags better. Bring spare clothes.

As I also think I said. I had already been going for an hour and had stood up in it no problem. Weight down your left side like I did. Toss on a 30lb weight vest on your chest to get up to my weight. Make sure you have a downrigger reaped in with the cannon ball dangling a foot or so off the left side. Dangle a lure behind it attached to a 7ft pole and reach out and back for the lure. Just don't give up like a puss when you feel the boat tipping and I bet you will swim too! 😀 Or you can stay dry and not practice flipping your boat and self recovering. In fact! It was all just a training exercise! Nothing to see here, move along people.💩