Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Capsized Pro Angler 12  (Read 5860 times)

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I will say his situational awareness was good and if he had his paddle in hand he might have been able to prevent capsizing however he had just executed a 180 degree turn and he was on a short periodicity trailing sea with wind gusts over 15kt so not sure I could have stayed upright in that situation. Personally I hate paddling on a trailing sea when things get snotty.

As far as rigging I leash pretty much leash everything, however here are some things I do to reduce entrapment risk:
1. Minimal Gear: 2 rods and reels, 1 small tackle box, VHF, pliers, boga, net, camera, procure. Most people have way too much gear.
2. In Hull Storage: net, tackle box, back up rod and reel
3. Retractable Leashes: boga, pliers, camera
4. Coiled Leashes: rod and reels
5. The starboard (right) side of all of my kayaks are completely free of rigging. This is the side I board and self-rescue from. I can't tell you how important this is. Even on a ghost hunt with 5 rods and reels, the starboard side is completely free of any rigging. (see picture) I got waked by a PB at the jaws of Moss Landing on a ghost hunt a couple of years ago. Would have lost $2,000 worth of rods and reels if they weren't all leashed. Self-rescued without problem and went on to the Pajaro and back. No ghost love on that day though. :smt011
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Since ya got your minds on capsizing...  another good way to go over, especially for newbs...

while trying to un-snag your jig head on the Big Blue,,, it's very easy to pull real hard and then have a swell knock you all the way over... if your drag is too tight...

you will go over... happened to me and I've seen it many times...  Pacific Halibuts in Big swell are quite a scare too... 0 for 2,,,  :smt010 Damn you white whale!!!

Another thing about the PA...  My Firefighter friend who had a massive coronary while out on PA, flipped the boat when he went over and subsequently died... no pfd...  :smt009

the PA was found capsized... we did many test on it and it regularly flipped over when rein-acting what might have happen, assuming my friend just keeled over.
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
+1 as you can see in the vid, he was not paying attention to the swells coming from behind him. Having paddle on hand and proper bracing tehniques could have kept his yak upright.

I think that is the biggest mistake Hobie pedalers make. They get over confident in their kayak's stability and fast pedal speed, and never learn to use their paddles to brace properly. A brace and hip snap could have prevented him going into the drink.

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Situational awareness and seamanship seriously lacking.  Why was he not heading into the swell and wind?  Why in such shallow water where the swell picks up and makes it more dangerous when you flip?  Why not use a paddle in that situation?  Why have a boat so top loaded in the first place?

One thing that about a peddle drive is that you can not turn unless you are moving forward and another is that there is no reverse.  Neither is true with a paddle plus you can brace.  That means if you slow down, you can not point your boat until you have way on and can not prevent a flip.  That seems to be the moment when he lost balance quite suddenly.  The rest is comedy.  Watching the rod fall to the bottom was sad.

It seems to me that no matter how many tries it takes, self rescue is self rescue.  Never can account for every potentiality and that is why we practice.  And never assume you will get out on the first try or give up if you do not.  There are lots of things happening at the same time when you capsize.  Hopefully the worst that happens is embarrassment and maybe lost gear.
Etienne

Anacapabob

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Incredible footage!
I am sending you out as sheep among wolves.
Be as wary as serpents and gentle as doves.

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
That looks surreal when he is upside down, kelp on top and the sky below.  I tis always much worse than it looks on video too.  It had to have been nasty out there, that wind was blowing!

I used to be a gear junky, but have learned less is definitely more on the kayak.  Not only making life aboard simpler, it is easier to self rescue.  I have gotten away from leashes and use floats more.  I filled the handle of my net with spray foam, my rods with pipe foam and small floats on my lip grippers and pliers.  With all those leashes hanging in the water you are just waiting to be tangled.  I would rather loose a rod than chance my life.  I keep all my tackle and snacks in the 8" hatch below deck.  I tied a rope in the inside and use clips on my tackle boxes and dry bags to clip to the rope.  It keeps gear from sliding around.  Keeping gear below deck really helps to keep your center of gravity lower and there is less chance of loosing gear.

I can take my reels off and store my rods below deck on bad surf landings.  Above deck I usually have one to two rods, my fish finder, my safety flag and my net.  I will use one rod holder on the starboard side rail, but I keep the port side clear of all obstructions.

I know what you mean about crap traps.  I had a good load of traps and rings on Humboldt Bay.  I started getting a good easterly swell and headed back to the beach.  With the high center of the traps and the side swell, it was not a fun ride back.  I have a Hobie and used the pedals and the paddle to brace.  My adventure does well in rough conditions, much better than I do  :smt003  A few of those trailing seas in Shelter Cove can make you kiss the beach when you make it in!  White caps a half mile out are not fun, especially when you hear them coming up behind you!

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Another thing to consider on a Hobie is the effect current/swell can have on your mirage drive fins. When the fins are pointed straight down, they can catch the swell--especially if you're perpendicular to the waves. This can cause you to flip. And it makes a top-heavy kayak even more prone.
So, unless I'm moving forward, I have gotten into the habit of pressing one pedal forward to collapse the fins flush against the underside of my yak.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Great thoughts on the use of both a paddle and the mirage drive.  I would add that a paddle offers more than just the ability to brace.  It allows you more controlled turning and more forward power while doing so.  The physics behind steering control using a paddle are different than using a rudder.  A forward paddle stroke turns the front of a boat.  A rudder turns the back.  In following seas, you may not want to brace or drag the paddle as it just slows you down.  In situations where your ass is coming around, a big sweep stroke may be all you need to correct things.

-Allen

Murfman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
As a newbie kayaker with a new Pro Angler, I think I really do need to become proficient with a paddle. Currently I'm only using the Hobie paddle in 'half paddle' mode to launch with (no rudder and mirage drive out during launch) and to come back in with. So this mirage drive is really keeping me from learning some important paddle/yak skills that can save my ass. I love the drive, but need to learn how to paddle too. My experience with paddles is in big canoes which aren't fast in tacking either....a least not like a yak...and I've always kept my bow or stern into the swell in my canoes...even small lake swells will flip a canoe easily...

Also saw that this guy really wanted out of the water fast. I think he should have pointed the yak back into the swell first thing and then assessed his situation. The Pro Angler has lots of space to reenter at the stern (its like a freaking aircraft carrier) along with a very nice handle bar. The boat sits low in the water too so sliding up on your belly is your best bet (at least it seems like it would...I'm speaking from total ignorance here)

Of course its easy to make judgments sitting at my computer watching this...I think all in all he did well. This guys physical condition was top notch and he could have made attempt after attempt to reenter without losing much steam. Its good to think about this stuff before hand and work out a plan in your head. I think I would have first put the yak's bow back into the swells and then reentered from the stern.

I'm thinking about putting my paddle back together in full length and keeping it that way. When it gets rough I'll stow all the rods, clear the clutter, grab my paddle and get the hell back home ASAP.

Definitely will practice self rescue when the water temps come up a bit too. I went the dry pants and dry jacket route (not the wet suit route) and want to keep it that way I really dont think I'll loose much mobility with the dry suit route trying to self rescue, but we'll see when I flip my boat in practice a few times.

I have two Scotty power locks on the yak so I wont use leashes for my rods. I do have a leash/tether for the mirage drive when its out (only when launching and returning)...and like the idea of filling the tube of my net with expanding foam...great idea...so I wont have but one leash keeping it clean and clear.

Great video-
-Murf

scubaluis

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010

Definitely will practice self rescue when the water temps come up a bit too. I went the dry pants and dry jacket route (not the wet suit route) and want to keep it that way I really dont think I'll loose much mobility with the dry suit route trying to self rescue, but we'll see when I flip my boat in practice a few times.

Great video-
-Murf
[/quote]

Murf, The water in the Pacific Ocean does not come up that much unless you get closer to Central America unless you are talking just about fishing in lakes and rivers only. I highly recommend wearing a 3mm farmer john wetsuit under the pants and jacket any time you go on the ocean waters and early season on lakes and rivers, I am guessing you got that kayak to fish all year long not only in summer time.
I went in the drink at Albion last year and if it wasn't for all the NCKA brothers that helped me back on top I would have been in bad shape. ( i was wearing  dry pants and jacket with a 3mm fj wetsuit under "and a fleece" big mistake), I am just trying to help.
"If you can not laugh at yourself, make fun of other people"

Stealth Fisha 500
Jackson Kraken
Ocean Kayak
Hobie Adventure
Wilderness System Tandem

Murfman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
ftp://

Good advice! How hard is it to move around with all the gear on? Does it make harder to get back up on the yak? Thats what worries me...of course I have no experience with this.

-Murf

scubaluis

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
the problem is that when you go in the cold water if you are not wearing the proper gear, your body goes into shock and does not want to cooperate with you, you will have a lot better chance for survival if you have a proper PFD and a f j wetsuit under the pants. NRS makes a good wetsuit with plenty of room around your arms to be comfortable the whole day and make sure to wear a good fitting PFD, if you see this video you will see me sinking cause I was wearing a fleece under my jacket a an improper PFD, the fleece felt like 30lbs over my shoulders and the pfd keep on corking on me.
I went to Headwaters and they fitted me with a good PFD, there is plenty of great kayak shops that support NCKA that sell good stuff, support any of them too.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=38111.0
"If you can not laugh at yourself, make fun of other people"

Stealth Fisha 500
Jackson Kraken
Ocean Kayak
Hobie Adventure
Wilderness System Tandem

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Why in such shallow water where the swell picks up and makes it more dangerous when you flip? 

This was the first thing I thought of. Probably wouldn't have flipped in the first place had been paying attention to conditions/surroundings & stayed away from the high spots where the swell was picking up.
Made for cool underwater video, though. Glad he's safe & it turned out to be a good educational vid.
Catch & Repeat

anything