Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:30:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Other flatfish  (Read 1813 times)

SanddabMan

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
The new regs on petrale sole have opened up an entirely new fishery. Not only did we tie into them on the first trip out, but it's opened up a discussion on how we might catch a bag of other less-sought flatties like diamond turbot or starry flounder. I've been fishing all my life and have never caught a flounder and have only seen two caught in Humboldt County. I'll add some sanddab photos when I get a chance. I love sanddabs, hence my login name. The petrales we caught a couple weeks ago ran up to 2.5 pounds and provided some exceptional table fare. Butter sole and CA halibut make fun fish to add to your list, but sanddabs and petrale are up there with Pacific halibut in quality. Anyone out there with other flattie experience?

seabird

• Salmon
  • Oh my GAHWD Jay, It's a baby fahkin WHEEL jay
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
The new regs on petrale sole have opened up an entirely new fishery. Not only did we tie into them on the first trip out, but it's opened up a discussion on how we might catch a bag of other less-sought flatties like diamond turbot or starry flounder. I've been fishing all my life and have never caught a flounder and have only seen two caught in Humboldt County. I'll add some sanddab photos when I get a chance. I love sanddabs, hence my login name. The petrales we caught a couple weeks ago ran up to 2.5 pounds and provided some exceptional table fare. Butter sole and CA halibut make fun fish to add to your list, but sanddabs and petrale are up there with Pacific halibut in quality. Anyone out there with other flattie experience?

I've been wanting to Target sand dabs for a while. All I've heard it's they like it deep and sandy. Any other tips? I was considering trying the Monterey area because it gets fairly deep close to shore but if there are any good spots closer to the bay is appreciate the tip

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Yes, lots of flatter experience .  Today I caught 7 petrales and kept 5.  I have caught both kinds of sand dabs, sand soles, petrales sole, rock sole, rex sole, ca halibut, and Pacific halibut.

Did you catch those on a yak or boat?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:21:23 PM by matanaska »
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Nice score of flatties man!
Petrales were only lumped into the Fed Groundfish list (and bound to the RCG depth limit & seasons) for the past few years. Other flatfish were still fair game during that time.
Petrales are better eating that rock, sand, and english soles IMO...and easier to clean! I really like eating starry flounder though, especially when they're over 20" and you can fillet them like halibut!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Nice haul, sanddabman. I don't know if we have many petrale sole down in the HMB area, but I have been meaning to head out after dabs.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

SanddabMan

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Yes Matanaska, I pretty much fish exclusively in a kayak. We finally got a flat day so we paddled four miles out. We couldn't find them at 170 or 210, but around 190' it was pretty consistent. It feels really good to paddle off the deep water with a kayak full of fish. KPD, I actually caught my first sanddabs off of the HMB area years ago. One meal of those and I was hooked on flatfish. Seabird, we started out back then with small sabikis and then worked our way up to a size 4 or 2 hook and typically get sanddabs 10-11.5 inches on the bigger sabikis. One major trick I seem to catch more fish on than my neighboring boats is using Smelly Jelly's Crawfish or Procure's Flounder Pounder. In our area, sanddabs pick up at 150' and seem to be really good at around 180'. Cooked whole the sanddabs make a killer meal, pretty similar to the petrale. Any advice on finding rock or rex sole, matanaska? None of my buddies have landed them in a kayak (or even on a boat). Cen Coast, you have any advice on catching flounder?

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Sweet lineup!  I also love targeting the "other flatfish".  Only got into it a couple years ago so I'm still learning the intricacies, but the table fare quality of the "other flatfish" is amazing and eclipses rockfish by a long shot.  I was very excited to see the "de-regulation" of petrales, but then I moved to Oregon before I could partake in it.  I'm excited to give them a shot up here though.  So far I've caught sand sole and butter sole up here in OR.  Now that Pac halibut season is open, I'm itching to give the deeper waters a shot for a halibut/petrale combo trip.

I've had success on rock sole, sand sole, and starry flounder by fishing sandy troughs in between rock pinnacles.  Anywhere there is some current to wash food off the rocks and onto the sand.  40-60 FOW.  Finding productive areas can be challenging, as it's not as easy as looking for structure on a depthfinder when targeting rockfish.  But when you find a hot spot, it tends to be a reliable producer trip after trip.

About 10 years ago, I caught a 20.5 inch starry inside Humboldt Bay in about 10 feet of water.  I was still-fishing a chunk of clam neck off the bank near King Salmon.  So they're around...
aMayesing Bros.

MattSwayze

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
From yesterday with Matanska, flatfish stack very well inside the ice chest.
aMayesing Bros.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I've shot a few Starry Flounder over the years, and last year my buddy Andrew blasted a big 25 inch 7 pound Starry and the same day I got a little 15 inch Sand Sole...

They weren't the target species but they were nice bycatch.

:smt001

Can see the sand soles "free rays" well in this little vid...could see them before I shot it so I knew it wasn't a short butt.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
nice pic's guys. Love them flat fish :smt007

SanddabMan

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Sweet photos guys. Thanks for adding your insights. We're always out on the open flat bottomed ocean for flatties or in dense rocks for rockfish. Guess we'll have to try for some sand between the rocks. Thanks for sharing. That'll definitely give us a new challenge.

oysterer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
This, to me is very, very interesting. Do the other flatfish bite seasonally?