Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:33:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: To all you spearos.....  (Read 4455 times)

Sail Fisk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Should I take a class on the basics of freed diving or should I just learn as I go  :smt017 I figured I can "gift" some  :spam1: to Fuzz for some guided trips  :smt002....and maybe a case of San Miguel beer  :party  to Ron / Sail Fisk for more lessons  :smt003

As far as experience: I used to skin dive during the summers when I was growing up in the Philippine Islands....other than that....I'm a total newbie ready and eager to learn from a wise Yoda  :bigsmurf:

Hey Mooch,

I freedive with John Chen and Alain Geoffrey on regular basis.  We are just waiting for the right swell to die down a bit on weekend.  I know a shallow reef at Otter Cove with plenty of opaleye (not a good eating fish) and perchs for practice shooting that I can show you.  The depth of the spot is 8-15 feet.  I learned to freedive in Lovers Cove/Otter Cove with John Chen and took freediving lesson at Wallins when John was still working there. If you need freediving wetsuits, Bodega Bay Dive Shop has some nice selections of freediving suits.

John & I will let you know when we go.

Regards,
-Ron
Ron del Mundo
So. San Francisco
"If you never get wet, cold, exhausted, or scared, you never appreciate being dry, warm, well rested, or safe."  (M. McCrea, Canoe & Kayak magazine)

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
We need to take some more fish out of the impending MLPA closure areas!!

When do the closures take effect? I thought it was January 1st?
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
John & I will let you know when we go.

Thanks Ron - appreciate the offer :smt002 Can't wait to enter the Big blue  :snorkel

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
We need to take some more fish out of the impending MLPA closure areas!!

When do the closures take effect? I thought it was January 1st?

hey granite, i think the closures are not in effect just yet but may be later in 2007. i am not positive though.

if this is the case we may have to go to soberanes south down the goat trail. its a walk but there is fish there. no kayaks for that option though.

otherwise its north we go: )

i love linda mar and want to dive there sometime. i had a frined get some lobster there a few years ago.

john

leony

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
The date of start of closure hasn't been decided yet, but expect it to happen real soon... in a few months.
Soberanes point area is not in the closure. If I go out there, I will have to hide in the thick kelp beds all the time, the sealion barks are too scary. There must be landlords patrolling this area constantly...

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
i love linda mar and want to dive there sometime. i had a frined get some lobster there a few years ago.
That's what happened to those bugs!  :smt002

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That's what happened to those bugs!  :smt002

no kidding, it seems more and more people are seeing spiny lobsters around monterey and north but there isnt a ton of them. sure would be nice to see one in person up here. i know people see pretty large ones in monterey along the breakwater relatively often. the classes from wallins dive center were seeing which were originally found by the instructors.

i think with el nino the warm water fish may be headed this way and maybe our season for different fish will be a good one. i know the tail end of last year guys on the ncka board were catching whitefish which generally are not caught up here. i wonder if wsb and yellowtail will come in large numbers; )

john

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
One can always save perch and opaleye for crab bait or figure out ways to make them edible, such as smoking.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
One can always save perch and opaleye for crab bait or figure out ways to make them edible, such as smoking.

i personally love to filet and fry up perch in batter and eat with cocktail sauce!!

: )

YUMMMM

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
... I'm sure I can convince Fuzz to babysit me for a few hours.....his weakness is spam musubi  :smt002

If the spam musubi doesn't work, try ladies under garments.  He has a thing for the really frilly ones.  :smt003

I think it'd be a good idea to have Harold or someone with more experience (than you) go out with you the first few times.  There's nothing wrong with going out with someone who has the same amount of experience as you, but you won't learn nearly as much or as fast.   It'd probably be safer having Fuzz spot you as well.  AND at the end of the day if the hunting's been bad, you know you can count on Fuzz to kill something. 

I would advise against taking a freedive class for now.  You'll want to get in the water for a season to get comfortable and have some experience under your (weight) belt.  If you decide to take a class then the topics discussed in the class will be familiar and relevant.  For recreational freediving/spearing, I'd say classes aren't necessary.  Just get Fuzz a few more spammiches or undies and ask him. 

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:25:07 PM by spinal tap »

fuzz

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
... I'm sure I can convince Fuzz to babysit me for a few hours.....his weakness is spam musubi  :smt002

If the spam musubi doesn't work, try ladies under garments.  He has a thing for the really frilly ones.  :smt003

Hey!  That was supposed to be a secret! :smt005 

Sorry, haven't been keeping up - been in Hawaii for a couple weeks trying to get as much warm weather, diving, & food in as possible.  Joel, I'll talk with you more when I get back  :smt002

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile

I tried that but I got distracted by a large chocolate cake... :smoke

jselli

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
It is a shame CA dive shop is closing. There were the nicest people I dealt with for some of my kayak stuff, including my Kayak.  They were great.

jason
...The sea, once it casts its spell
holds one in its net of wonders forever.
                          Jacques Cousteau

anything