Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: CATCH & COOK COMPETITION - Nov 9  (Read 2281 times)

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018

Introducing a unique Monterey Catch & Cook Competition (C3) that will draw on your talents from freediving, to hunting, to cooking and marine conservation.

The inaugural Monterey Catch & Cook Competition is a family-friendly event organized by ocean lovers to raise funds for ocean conservation while encouraging sustainable fishing practices. One of the most significant benefits of spearfishing is that fishermen are able to control which species they’re catching and the number of fish they intend to harvest. Therefore, there is no risk of unintentionally catching certain species of fish or marine animals. Since this fishing technique doesn’t usually impact the ocean floor, spearfishing doesn’t have the negative impacts on the ocean environment like other fishing techniques do. Join us as we come together to celebrate the ocean and learn about how we can protect this place we love for future generations to enjoy.

RSVP NOW. Ticket sales are now available for $40 at Monterey Bamboo Reef Dive Shop or Monterey Bay Kayaks. All proceeds will go to Save Our Shores (SOS - saveourshores.org) – a Monterey-based nonprofit organization focused on protection and conservation of our local marine environment for the past 40 years. SOS will also be coordinating a beach clean-up (with prizes!) at this family-friendly event so we encourage you to bring your family and friends. Supplies and permit will be provided by SOS. Raffle tickets are available for purchase, and various prizes can be won even if you don't participate in the catch and cook portion of the event.

C3 RULES and INFORMATION (Read Carefully)

The goal is for an individual (no teams) to create a dish that highlights fresh caught fish that will be prepared and cooked at the event. Sides, sauces and other ingredients can be prepared beforehand and transported to event.  However, the ocean harvested proteins must be caught via free-dive spearfishing after check-in on the day of the event, and then cleaned and fully cooked by heat at the event location (no sashimi – but blanching for use in dishes like ceviche is ok). Meal must be cooked in typical catch and cook style (i.e., portable propane, charcoal briquettes and electric portable stoves/grills only). ALL DFW REGULATIONS AND MPA BOUNDARIES MUST BE FOLLOWED – see links below. All State and Local game/fish rules apply. Competitors must possess a valid CA fishing license. All spearguns, including pole spears, must be loaded using muscle power. Spearguns must be loaded and unloaded in the water. Fish may only be taken while freediving. Use of SCUBA or hooka system will not be permitted. Divers must take their own fish with any aid whatsoever upon penalty of disqualification. Fish not allowed: Sharks, Rays, Skates, or any other fish whose take is prohibited by California law.
Failure to comply with Tournament Rules will result in disqualification.

CATCH & COOK PRIZES:
-   The 3 main prizes will go to the competitors that present the 3 highest scored dishes based on the categories listed below (the sum total of all category points). The panel of judges will include professional chefs with various backgrounds and cooking disciplines. Each contestant will need to prepare 3 identical plates; one for each judge. Fish must be the highlight of the dish but use of complementary invertebrates is encouraged. Each dish must include fish (i.e., not a dish with the only protein/meat being an invertebrate).

Points will be awarded for each of the following categories:
-   Fish use. How many different parts of the fish you utilized in your dish (e.g., belly meat, head, collar, roe, fillet, cheeks, stock, etc.) – max of 20 points
-   Overall presentation of dish (contrasting colors and textures attractively or uniquely presented) – max of 30 points
-   Difficulty of techniques used in preparation of your dish. – max of 10 points
-   Taste. Complementary flavors, textures and precision of cooking. – max of 40 points

5 additional points awarded for inclusion of:
-   Vermillion, Triggerfish, Scallop, Mussels, Urchin, Monkeyfaced Eel, Halibut, Striped Bass, Crab or other invertebrate; however, they must be collected on the day of the event and fish must be highlight of the dish.

ALTERNATE PRIZES:
Note: Participating in the cooking portion of this event is not necessary to win the below prizes.
1) Heaviest fish gets a great prize, honorable mention and bragging rights. If an exact tie, length will determine winner.
2) Most urchins removed – If more than 1 person submits a limit of urchin, total weight will determine winner.
3) Beach Clean Up: No entry fee required if only participating in the beach clean-up. Top 3 participants with the most bags (by volume) of trash and garbage picked up on day of event at the beach. More information below.

RAFFLE:
-   Event participants will get 5 raffle tickets with their entry fee and an additional 10 raffle tickets for participating in the cooking portion of the competition.
-   Additional raffle tickets will be available for cash purchase by any friends/family of the paid participants.
-   Must be present to win prizes.

COMPETITION SCHEDULE:
Note: These timelines will be strictly held and any tardiness will result in disqualification.
Check-in at Monterey Bay Kayaks
-   6:00 AM Sharp: Check-In and waiver signing.
-   6:20 AM: PFI freediving instructor's safety briefing.
-   6:30 AM: Divers released to travel to a dive destination of their choosing.
Weigh In / Return Deadline
-   12:00 PM or earlier (No fish after 12:00 PM will be eligible for weighing or cooking.)
Judging of Food Deadline
-   1:00 PM or earlier (Your dish must be ready to be judged or you will be disqualified.)
The order of judging will be "first finished, first judged" so dishes don't get cold.
Raffle
-   1:15 PM
Awards and Prizes to Participants
-   1:45 PM

BEACH CLEAN UP INFORMATION
S.O.S. will be hosting an open-to-public beach cleanup meeting at Monterey Bay Kayaks at 10:00 AM should family and friends of participants want to take interest for the wellbeing of our marine environment. There will be 3 great prizes for those with the largest volume of trash picked up.

Beach clean-up event and supplies coordinated by SOS volunteer, Nia Carrico-Diener. We recommend that all volunteers dress in layers, wear sun protection, and bring a filled reusable water bottle. Volunteers under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by an adult. Closed-toed shoes are highly recommended. Restrooms and drinking fountains are available onsite. No RSVPs are necessary, but you can print and complete their waiver beforehand to save time. Be sure to bring your signed copy (1 per volunteer) to the event. If you have additional questions, please contact  nia@saveourshores.org.

GYOTAKU PRESENTATION – specific details to come.

Link to event page on FB  https://www.facebook.com/events/1266174056894766/

8.5x11 Flyer is also attached.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Darn. I was really interested in this but only for divers. I guess Big jim will need to represent us.  :smt006
hahah
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Darn. I was really interested in this but only for divers. I guess Big jim will need to represent us.  :smt006
hahah

If he does,  how will his family eat that night!!  :smt005
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

mtitch12

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Very cool idea for a comp. Great job for getting it organized!
"Only need three more years before I can think like a fish."

Matt Titchenal
Hometown: Sonoma, CA
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/MattTitchenal
Instagram: @MattTitch

NCKA DOTY 2018 - 1st Place
NCKA DOTY 2017 - 3rd Place

Member of NCKA DOTY Committee 2019

Gannet Dive Team
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Very cool idea for a comp. Great job for getting it organized!

Thanks man! I really hope it does well!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Darn. I was really interested in this but only for divers.

We really thought about opening it up to hook and line as well but the original idea was brainstormed when Adam Helm (at the time of him planning his MBK HnL Competition this year) asked me to throw a comp for spearos. Around that same time there was a in depth convo between some influential spearos about how we can use our platforms to promote sustainable spearfishing and use of more from the fish than just the fillets. I thought I could kill to birds with one stone... err 2 fish with spear?  by throwing a comp that promotes sustainability, doesn't promote the top winners taking the biggest or most fish (all though someone did talk me into adding a prize for biggest fish simply so someone had bragging rights - but the most desirable prizes will go to the cooks and not biggest fish),and we can partner with a non profit that does rad stuff in our area. They are throwing a beach clean up for us as well so the friends/family of the competitors can participate too. We also plan to have a gyotaku presentation/how to for additional education/entertainment.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008

We really thought about opening it up to hook and line as well but the original idea was brainstormed when Adam Helm (at the time of him planning his MBK HnL Competition this year) asked me to throw a comp for spearos. Around that same time there was a in depth convo between some influential spearos about how we can use our platforms to promote sustainable spearfishing and use of more from the fish than just the fillets. I thought I could kill to birds with one stone... err 2 fish with spear?  by throwing a comp that promotes sustainability, doesn't promote the top winners taking the biggest or most fish (all though someone did talk me into adding a prize for biggest fish simply so someone had bragging rights - but the most desirable prizes will go to the cooks and not biggest fish),and we can partner with a non profit that does rad stuff in our area. They are throwing a beach clean up for us as well so the friends/family of the competitors can participate too. We also plan to have a gyotaku presentation/how to for additional education/entertainment.

Good deal. Excellent idea of merging the two together. I love it. Can the public go and get free samples?? LOL. or only for the judges??
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric

Good deal. Excellent idea of merging the two together. I love it. Can the public go and get free samples?? LOL. or only for the judges??

The public can join in the beach clean up (for free) which wins prize for most trash picked up, and they can join in the raffle, but for liability reasons, only the judges can eat =P

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
I'M BLOWN AWAY :smt068 that after putting this Catch and Cook event out publicly last week, we already have insane sponsors like Omer with huge buy in from Bamboo Reef and Monterey Bay Kayaks, and ridiculous prizes like a sick fishing kayak, roller guns, custom freedive suits, and have been featured on multiple forums/blogs like Noob Spearo Podcast, DeeperBlue, and Adreno (article coming out soon). For a simple idea at first, this thing sure blew up fast. I'll start personally thanking sponsors on this page and various other platforms next week. Stay tuned for all the rad gear and prizes we're getting!

Make sure you sign up if you haven't already! Facebook Event Link   Event Bright Event Link

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I'M BLOWN AWAY :smt068 that after putting this Catch and Cook event out publicly last week, we already have insane sponsors like Omer with huge buy in from Bamboo Reef and Monterey Bay Kayaks, and ridiculous prizes like a sick fishing kayak, roller guns, custom freedive suits, and have been featured on multiple forums/blogs like Noob Spearo Podcast, DeeperBlue, and Adreno (article coming out soon). For a simple idea at first, this thing sure blew up fast. I'll start personally thanking sponsors on this page and various other platforms next week. Stay tuned for all the rad gear and prizes we're getting!

Make sure you sign up if you haven't already! Facebook Event Link   Event Bright Event Link
Strong work Eric.
Looking like a great event brewing.
Thanks to the sponsors for always stepping up.
Hope to  be there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 06:56:53 PM by TW »
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric

Strong work Eric.
Hope to  be there.

Thanks Tim! We wanted to keep it to spearos for the inaugural so it's more manageable, but we're already talking about doing one for hook and line next year! How cool will it be to see all kinds of fishermen (and women!) throwing down on insane meals?! Can't wait.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Its pretty L8 in yr howza diving at dat thyme?

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Its pretty L8 in yr howza diving at dat thyme?

We find it a bit more predictable than our "summer" months. For example, Saturday called for 6-8'@10sec NW with 15kt of wind. Not sure what ocean they were referring to because it was flatter than a lake on Sat. However the warmer waters (up to 63 on surface) have caused an epic bloom which decreased vis to less than 10' where I was at. Still got some quality fish though!

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

Strong work Eric.
Hope to  be there.

Thanks Tim! We wanted to keep it to spearos for the inaugural so it's more manageable, but we're already talking about doing one for hook and line next year! How cool will it be to see all kinds of fishermen (and women!) throwing down on insane meals?! Can't wait.
Eric,
I was just going to show up with the family, chill, help if needed . Really want to see how this  inaugural event goes.
Might even bring my inflatable boat just to cruise around.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:18:28 PM by TW »
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
More help will definitely be welcomed!!

Thank you for that, Tim! Bring the family. Do the Beach Clean up day of. We have legit prizes for the top 3 people who pick up the most trash.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

anything