Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bendo @ Mendo!  (Read 8687 times)

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone that helped make the event such a success. Especially those of you who helped us try and get Bob's truck unstuck!!

I'm dead tired, but since the grand prize for the tournie this time was bragging rights, I'm doing my bragging now.

Pictured is my winning fish - 11.57lbs bled. Taken on a (very) slow trolled live minnow. I can post a better report tomorrow, right now a soft bed sounds like ecstasy after that hard ass lumpy ground.

I'll definitely be back to defend my title next year.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Great Job ! I know you worked hard the fishing was extremely tough.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
nice fish, but I would bet that is just the icing on the cake. I wish I could be there........
Joe

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I am beat after 3 days in the hot Ukiah sun so I will post a more detailed report later. Rock Hopper rocked the house with a nice fish, Mike came in second and Allen got a kayak dropped, shore hooked kayak landed striper.

I caught a couple of small large mouth, a small mouth and 2 catfish, this one went 20!

Amazing food, great company, and a great weekend.

Rikshaw

Rockhopper,

Congrats again on the nice striper. At least the winner was a lunker.

Hey guys, 12.5 hours of driving, and well over 650 miles, with a half hour stop in Morro Bay to drop off some yaks to a local dealer, and another half hour lost to needing to fuel both jack and myself and that gas guzzling truck I was driving... and I am now home safe and sound.

Thanks so much, to everyone, for what truly was a great weekend. The fishing was slow... let's be honest, it sucked big time, but the company and the local were terrific.

Count me in for next year.

Ric

Oh, and As Jack and I drove down the 101 through San Fran, I could have sworn I saw Mooch, then I realized it was simply another guy that likes wandering around in public wearing nothing but a pair of flip flops and some ass-less chaps, complimented by a stunning glitter covered leather cod piece.

I thought Jack was going to choke he was laughing so hard.

The cop directing traffic didn't even give the guy a second look. WOW, to be so jaded. LMAO!

Ric

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Congrats to you Rockhopper, catching such a nice striper in such tough conditions, the striper bite this weekend was brutal!  The actual prize is knowing we all helped raise over a $1000 bucks for the Red Cross.  After coming home and seeing what happened while we were gone, I couldn't feel better about our decision to make it a hurricane relief fund raiser.  

The turnout was again amazing.  We had around 35 boats on the water.  

While the striper bite sucked, the big catfish came in all weekend.  I saw JD land some, Bill was on F fire, Stu and others caught some big kitties.  Even weirder, was the bite seemed to be best in the middle of the day! :smt017

Heres JD on a cat...

Stu in with the scoop...

The real star of the weekend was the potluck.  This place is really norcalkayakchefs.com.  There was soooo much killer food it was unbelievable.  Some of the many things I remember were:

Bobs homemade chili
Troys Jambalaya and hush puppies
Mooch and Kaluha Pig
Mollbasser and the smoked piggie
Stu's Korean Beef
Mikes mega-prawns
Chuck E with fried stiper and cat
Mike N. mixed greens
Smoked yellowtail dip form me and Jelly
Elrics bacon wrapped asparagus
lots of cookies, brownies, cake, on and on...

I can't come close to remembering it all.  The keg was emptied, and there were lots of bottles shared.  I was so glad I made the party this time.  The raffle was also a big success, lot af generous donations all around.  We raised over $200 for the Striped Bass Association of Mendocino.  I delivered the cash to the Prez yesterday and they were thrilled.

I really appreciate the support of this BBS, Cobra for making the trip and bringing the Mariners, and thanks again to everyone that showed, we had a great time, hopefully next year the fish will co-operate!!!

*<><Aliens

Congratulation to the big stripper winner

Nice cat Bill

Looks like every one had a great time, like always...

Hope to be able to join the group in the next event

Take care all.. and good fishing

miyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Rock Hopper you definitely have the bragging rights. With a very nice fish. thanks for sharing it with us Sat. night.  High five!!

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
After a long drive the slow fishing was a bit disapointing, but the company really made up for it.

Thanks to all for such a good time.

The beer was excellent and the pot luck was spectacular.  Speaking of spectacular pot luck I would like to request the recipes for the fried fish batter and the hush puppies.

I have not eaten so much food in years.  Loved hanging around the fryer chanting "Fry it, Fry it!!"

Thanks to Troy for his excellent solar power set up that let me fill up my aerobed, certainly made sleeping much more comfortable.

The tackle assortment that I won in the raffle was EXCELLENT.  

Big time thanks to Sean for organizing such an excellent event, and its great that we could pony up a grand for charity, and a couple of bills for the striper association.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: Bill
Allen got a kayak dropped, shore hooked kayak landed striper.

Aw man, I've been officially designated an "also ran" now.  All judges decisions are final ...  :smt009

Congrats Rock and Mike for "real" kayak catches.

Good times, good friends, and Great White Beer!  Thanks Sean and Bill for arranging this amazing get together.

-Allen

miyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Just want to say how nice it was, the camp site was fantastic. far enough away so no one came wandering in and out of camp. Now the people on this site that were there have faces.  The fishing? what can I say it happens. but I learned a few things which is always good. And last but not least the food, yummm!! We need to get more recipes posted so I can copy them.
Mike

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
Thanks, all!

The food was absolutely terrific. If I win the next tourny I'll be happy with about a gallon of that Thai basil/sundried tomato cream cheese dip! The two porks were awesome, the shrimp!, fried fish, chili, Bob's sausage dish, the desserts......

Ah man did I eat good! Not to mention I caught my best freshwater fish ever, my first smallmouth, I won an NCKA sweatshirt, and like $50 bucks worth of swimbaits in the raffle. Plus I got to meet a great bunch of guys and gals and learned how to fish Lake Mendo. I'll definitely be back in the next month or so when Sean promised that the bite would be better.  :smt002

Here's a few more pics:

The Battle

The Victory

Bob's Smallmouth

Bob's new truck. (BTW - those are 35" wheels!)

Diggin' In

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
Whoa!  That sort of sucks!  How did the truck get out?

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
A tow truck came, got stuck, got itself unstuck with some help from board members, then pulled Bob's truck out.

I want to thank those of you that stuck around to help us out again. That was way cool. Especially Travis and Sharkbait(?) who tried pulling it out with their rigs, and Mr. Matt and crew who helped with the digging.

Also,
Mooch and Elric - If you guys don't mind can you e-mail me the full size pics that you guys got of my fish?

ghostsquad1@hotmail.com

Much appreciated!

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
yes, how did you get that out without the help of my scout and winch...............shoulda been there....
Joe