Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:06:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:23:23 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 08:10:36 AM]

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Harpoon/flying gaff for Halibut  (Read 4199 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: The Inn Keeper (yakhopper)
Build one !
;0)

This weekend's "Open Shelter" at Shelter Cove may provide a play by play on how to get this done...
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Chumchum

• The Broke But Not Starving Student
  • Salmon
  • Wildernes Systems Ride the old one.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
So my two cents on fishing and landing halibut this season. I used my speargun on one and the fish made a 50 yard run and I no longer have a spear shaft. If you go that rout use a reel on the gun or have a detachable shaft to a 1 atmosphere float. The cheapest and best way is to make your own spear. Buy the Danielson tip and find a SS rod from a welder or scrap metal yard, drill and glue it into a broom handle or somthing similar. Again have the tip attached to a float. These fish can explode with energy when you think they are done so make sure nothing is attached to you or the boat and that what ever you use you are ok losing..... I’ve harpooned a fish and had it take the float under to the other side of the boat. We then had to gaff it and bring it on that side and that was just a 38 in fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I used my speargun on one and the fish made a 50 yard run and I no longer have a spear shaft. If you go that rout use a reel on the gun or have a detachable shaft to a 1 atmosphere float.

The look on your face must have been priceless...at least he didn't get your gun too :smt001

I was thinking more of a detachable shaft to float like in blue water hunting.

Nice fish buddy!
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Chumchum

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hahaha I know I was like oh sh$&! The line was supposed to be tuna cord with a bungee but that wasn’t enough for the sudden burst of energy. Blue water hunting would be the way to go. I’ll have a photo of my simple set up later.

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I didn't get a chance to order the harpoon but was thinking of attaching a heavy duty line to a float and attach it to my gaff? so if it goes apshit it will be in the water vs in the kayak lol

I was going to order the godfather rig but won't come in time so I built my own...the light is bright white and the squid are glow in the dark. Do you tip the squid with salmon belly?

by the way any tip on locating fishy pac hali? how deep? I'm prepare to go deep :)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 03:58:17 PM by crazyfisher »

Chumchum

• Salmon
  • View Profile
For us up here I’ve caught them on straight herring on a Mooching rig with wire leader, salmon belly, tuna belly a or combo off all three. I’ve also seen planter trout work and believe it or not a pepperoni stick.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I don’t think you can fire a speargun from your kayak (bands & pneumatic)...in CA, you have to actually be IN the water to use it.

Jon, I had the same idea and wrapped some paracord around my gaff handle. With the idea being that I could possibly release the gaff and hold onto the paracord (or snap it to the side of my yak or a buoy). Haven’t had a chance to test it yet.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I didn't get a chance to order the harpoon but was thinking of attaching a heavy duty line to a float and attach it to my gaff? so if it goes apshit it will be in the water vs in the kayak lol

I was going to order the godfather rig but won't come in time so I built my own...the light is bright white and the squid are glow in the dark. Do you tip the squid with salmon belly?

by the way any tip on locating fishy pac hali? how deep? I'm prepare to go deep :)

Two hooks only.  Looks like that rig has 3.

When you bring your halibut on deck hogtie it and it won't be able to go apeshit on you.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... I’ve also seen planter trout work and believe it or not a pepperoni stick.

Pepperoni stick? Genius! I wonder if Cali hali would go for that...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

When you bring your halibut on deck hogtie it and it won't be able to go apeshit on you.

ya I'll be removing the 3rd hook off, was just testing something out.

I'll have to youtube how to hogtie a halibut lol

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

ya I'll be removing the 3rd hook off, was just testing something out.

I'll have to youtube how to hogtie a halibut lol

Tie a loop in one end of a 6'+ section of rope.  run the free end through.  put the tail in the bight and cinch it down.  tie another loop a few inches up from the tail.  run the free end through the gills and out the mouth of the fish.  put the free end back through the second loop, tie it off, and viola hogtied hali.  Don't get chomped by mr hali when running the free end through the gills and out the mouth.  pickle calls me the halibut noodler now, might never live that one down.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
All this isn't necessary including the harpoon.  But what do I know.  I have only landed twice as many Pacific halibut by kayak than all NCKA members who have landed one combined.  Not to mention I have caught 3 Pacific halibut in a day more than once.  I find it easy to land them using a wiremans gaff connected to a bouy.  The key is not lifting there heads out of the water.  First, I pull the halibut to the side of the yak then put the gaff hook through the mouth.  Most of the time they just sit there.  Next, I'll pull the hook completely through and tie a knot.  They may begin to move then, but now it wont get off the rope.  Third, I get my knife out and cut the gills and then stab it multiple times between the eyes.  Fourth, I pull the guts out through the gills.  Finally after all that and maybe some wood shampoo too, I put in on the bow with the wiremans gaff still attached and out of the way so that if the halibut moves again, I can get if off the kayak quickly until its calm again.  I have only had one maybe 2 halibut that have thrashed any after doing all this.  I have also heard that if you stab them at the curved spot on the lateral line that it will paralyze it.  Again, harpoons are overkill unless its maybe 70lbs +. Also it's not necessary to hog tie it.  I pull the guts to not only help in dispatching it, but also to eliminate the worms that live in the gut and will travel to the meat over time if not removed promptly.  Take it or leave it, but I have been catching Pacific halibut for over 6 years now.
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
A wiremans gaff attached to a buoy fits the strict definition of mousetrap gear. I stopped using it until I get clarification. I will use a kage on lingcod but I won’t carry a buoy with a wiremans gaff attached anymore.

Your mileage may vary.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

matanaska

• Sea Lion
So my two cents on fishing and landing halibut this season. I used my speargun on one and the fish made a 50 yard run and I no longer have a spear shaft. If you go that rout use a reel on the gun or have a detachable shaft to a 1 atmosphere float. The cheapest and best way is to make your own spear. Buy the Danielson tip and find a SS rod from a welder or scrap metal yard, drill and glue it into a broom handle or somthing similar. Again have the tip attached to a float. These fish can explode with energy when you think they are done so make sure nothing is attached to you or the boat and that what ever you use you are ok losing..... I’ve harpooned a fish and had it take the float under to the other side of the boat. We then had to gaff it and bring it on that side and that was just a 38 in fish.

Speargun definitely isnt legal in CA unless your in the water.  A 38" halibut can be easily netted too if needed.  Ofcourse a halibut will explode if you stab it with a spear.  I would too.  I have pulled halibut up to 34" in my lap just to get a pic and release it.  I have lost 0 pacbuts once I get my wiremans gaff on them.
A wiremans gaff attached to a buoy fits the strict definition of mousetrap gear. I stopped using it until I get clarification. I will use a kage on lingcod but I won’t carry a buoy with a wiremans gaff attached anymore.

Your mileage may vary.
I'll take my chances as the game warden has seen it multiple times as well as I am confident that my explanation of its use would  sound better than stabbing a fish with a harpoon that could injure and kill the fish without even landing it like what happened to me when I used Matt's harpoon last year chase I didn't bring my wiremans gaff.  I put a hole in the fish's stomach, but the tip didn't stick, the halibut exploded, broke the line (my fault for not having the drag loose) and get away. 

1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6

2015 Hobie Outback

matanaska

• Sea Lion

Your mileage may vary.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/californiaoutdoorsqas.com/2017/06/22/fishing-pacific-halibut-with-a-buoy-from-a-kayak/amp/

Question: I wish to target large Pacific halibut from my kayak. I’ve researched several different methods for safely landing a large Pacific halibut from a kayak and have settled on a wireman’s gaff. A wireman’s gaff is a large 18/0 shark hook at the end of a 15-20 foot section of rope. The fish is gaffed with the shark hook and the other end of the rope is normally tied to a cleat – much like a flying gaff. From a kayak, this would be dangerous. Instead, I would tie the other end of the rope to an A1 buoy and throw the buoy overboard. The fish then fights the buoy, tires itself out, and then once tired it can be hauled in and dispatched safely.

My concern is that a hook on a rope attached to a buoy fits the description of “mousetrap gear” in the California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 28.65(f).

“Mousetrap gear prohibited: It is unlawful to use, assist in using, or to possess aboard any vessel, hook-and-line gear commonly termed ‘mouse traps’ constructed of a hook(s) or lure(s), attached to one end of a line that is attached to a float, or floats at the other end, and that when fished, is not attached directly to a person or vessel. Possession of such gear aboard a vessel shall be prima facie evidence that the gear is being used in violation of this regulation.”

Clearly, my intended use is not to fish with the wireman’s gaff as the line is too short to catch anything. The hook is never baited and it is never deployed without first being used to gaff a legally hook-and-line caught fish. Is the use of a wireman’s gaff in this way legal under the regulations? Do you think I would get a ticket if a wireman’s gaff attached to a buoy were in my possession? If it is not legal, is there a way to rig it to make it legal without tying a large agitated fish off to my kayak? (Doug K., Eureka)

Answer: Good question! I think the easiest way for you to make it clear that your device is a gaff and not mousetrap gear would be to rig it so that it couldn’t be used as mousetrap gear. For example, if the hook is tied to a floating rope (e.g. polypropylene) with no weights, it would look like a gaff, whereas if it were tied with clear fishing line it would look like mousetrap gear. If you do this, game wardens will know that your device is a gaff.

“‘Snag’ or ‘gaff’ hooks are hooks with or without handles used to take fish in such manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth” (Fish and Game Code, section 48).

There is no law that would prohibit your described method of gaffing a Pacific halibut. Many divers use similar devices with floats that detach from their spear guns while spearing large game fish

1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6

2015 Hobie Outback

anything