Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:39:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: What to wear?  (Read 1993 times)

turb0_tac0s

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
This might have been covered before, but are you guys all running wet suits when out on open coast?  Is a 5mm suit too much I just feel like it would be really hot after pedaling all day.  Are there any alternatives?  I've been looking at the NRS free fall dry pants, but for the price i can basically get a wet suit.  What are  your thoughts?

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
https://www.nrs.com/product/17266.03/nrs-mens-30-farmer-john-wetsuit

Wetsuit Booties, paddle jacket.

Athletic underwear or commando up to u.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Kayakfish7

• Salmon
  • Rain or shine fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
Anyone know a affordable dry suit?
Ocean Kayak Trident 13 follow me @kayakfish7

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Remember, you’re dressing for immersion. In order to be protected from the 50 degree water, you might not be perfectly comfortable while paddling. I wear a long sleeve silk shirt to protect from the wetsuit chaffing my armpits. On top of that is a 7mm Farmer John. Then I wear hiking pants and a long sleeve hiking shirt. I wear the hiking clothes so I have pockets and because they are made of quick dry material. Then I wear two pair of heavy wool socks, rubber muck luck boots, a hat with a drape over my neck and ears and half finger gloves. Oh, I forgot, I also wear a rain coat and vinyl rain pants. They help if it’s rainy or windy. The rain pants keep me dry if I’m pulling my anchor rope. They also keep the blood off my clothes. After a long day on the water that silk undershirt is soaked, but I’ve never been cold on the water. Except maybe my fingers and toes while fishing Lake Tahoe in January. Luckily it usually isn’t hot on the coast. One thing I don’t wear is sunscreen. Mostly because nothing is exposed, which is good. I’m sure many people wear less. I don’t think it’s possible to wear more. Remember, being too hot is uncomfortable, being too cold can be deadly. Put you’re gear on and practice self rescue and you’ll have an idea how the cold affects you.

I should clarify that I don’t use an anchor in the ocean, that’s for Sturgeon fishing. I don’t wear the wet suit in freshwater except places like Tahoe or where I can’t easily swim to shore and get out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:49:24 AM by traildad »
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Sounds like a good subject for a new topic. People with a good answer might miss the question because it’s buried in a topic with a different subject. Plus you don’t end up threadjacking. It’s a win win! :smt006

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
3/2 Farmer John wetsuit

t shirt + paddle jacket

Booties

I like to dress in layers so I can cool off or warm up depending on conditions.

Anything more than this and I get too hot. 

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Traildad's advice is excellent here.  Dress for immersion is the rule.

There are plenty of people in this sport and even in this club who don't dress in a way that will protect them if they go in the ocean for more than a few minutes.  It's like riding a motorcycle - people don't want to go down and contact the road surface, but they dress for it if they're smart.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007

For the ocean, I only use my Kokatat Angler Drysuit. I own the goretex model. Its spendy at first but the most comfortable.  It keeps your whole body dry and very breathable.  I own a FJ, Level Six Bib, Kokatat paddling pants and several jackets.  But for the ocean I only wear my Kokatat Drysuit. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:43:09 AM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Snipeworm

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
I haven't gone in yet but I wear a 3mm farmer John with a 3mm jacket over it.  I figure it gives me 6mm at the core and 3 on the extremities but I can peel the jacket off if it's too warm.  And the under shirt is mandatory if your paddling.  Maybe not if you are in a peddle yak but I think it's easier to get in and out of the wet suit with it.

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I haven't gone in yet but I wear a 3mm farmer John with a 3mm jacket over it.  I figure it gives me 6mm at the core and 3 on the extremities but I can peel the jacket off if it's too warm.  And the under shirt is mandatory if your paddling.  Maybe not if you are in a peddle yak but I think it's easier to get in and out of the wet suit with it.

You have to actually go out on your kayak to have a chance of going in!  :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

Snipeworm

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017

You have to actually go out on your kayak to have a chance of going in!  :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
hahaha, thanks Dick!  Haha.  Work has me tied up until it rains, not my fault!

turb0_tac0s

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
Looks like the answers are pretty split between wearing a 3mm wetsuit and a t-shirt vs dressing like a mountaineering guide, for those who run the 3mm wetsuits how comfortable is it when you're in the water? Alot my surfer friends run 5mm and they are full immersion all day with no issues but they're also moving all day..  @traildad is it normal to get both a winter set and a summer set?

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Tinker

Go in a different direction and get a surfing wetsuit.  Lots more comfortable and lots more practical.  Check your local surf shops to see what thickness they recommend for the water nearest where you'll fish.  Bear in mind that surfers are IN the water all day, need a lot of freedom of movement, and few of them would be caught wearing 7mm of neoprene.  Or a farmer john anything.

I started with a 4/3 front-zip wetsuit and picked-up a Kokatat Angler's drysuit later - but I would never abandon my wetsuit.  It's ever so much nicer than wearing a sauna when I'll be close to shore for the day.

You should be able to find surf shops or chain stores where you can pick out a gently pre-owned wetsuit at a bargain.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Looks like the answers are pretty split between wearing a 3mm wetsuit and a t-shirt vs dressing like a mountaineering guide, for those who run the 3mm wetsuits how comfortable is it when you're in the water? Alot my surfer friends run 5mm and they are full immersion all day with no issues but they're also moving all day..  @traildad is it normal to get both a winter set and a summer set?

Keep in mind that someone with their own fat layer might last longer than a skinny person. Since the idea is to dress for surviving while in the water, will you be in different water in summer than winter? I might leave the rain coat and rain pants off if the air temp is high. I don’t wear the wetsuit in Lake Berryessa. On Hell Hole Reservoir the shoreline is a vertical wall. If I was able to get to shore I’d still be stuck in the water. At Lake Tahoe I might be 3 miles off shore. I doubt I could swim to shore before the water affected my ability to swim. Check out the link above. How long might you be in the water if your kayak leaked and you had to wait for rescue? 

I should say that if you melt any time the temp gets above 80 you might need to wear less. It’s personal preference and risk tolerance. Nothing you wear will protect you from all circumstances. We take a chance every time we go on the water in a little plastic boat. Manage the risks as best as you can. If you can’t stand to wear a heavy layer you might offset it a little by always having a partner right next to you. Maybe two radios just in case and not waiting to call for help if you end up stuck in the water. Don’t do stupid things, protect yourself as best as you can and have fun.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:06:17 AM by traildad »