Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:54:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:17:52 PM]

[Today at 12:54:54 PM]

[Today at 10:51:53 AM]

[Today at 07:23:39 AM]

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Recommendations on downrigger  (Read 1849 times)

solsrf1

• Industry Affiliate
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I've never used a downrigger on a kayak. Looking for recommendations and feedback on the best set-up for a Hobie Revo or Outback. Thanks

Big Hammer Pro Staff
Kayak Connection Fishing Team

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I went from a scotty lake troll to a 1050/1060. When I need something light, I would use the lake troll and it has treated me very well. I replaced the steel line with 150 lbs braid and use a 4lb-6lb downrigger weight. It goes into the flush mount so no need to install a bracket.

I just recently got the 1050/1060 so I can use heavier weight and bringing it up is a breeze with the 1050/1060.

If you can, go with the 1050/1060 and shorten the handle to make it fit in the cup holder. But if not then the lake troll is good, just takes more effort to reel up the dr weight.

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
     I started off with a scotty laketroll because I thought smaller would be better. My advice is, don't waste your time with it. It does not take a lot of effort to modify a scotty 1050 depthmaster to work for a kayaker and it is a FAR superior downrigger.  The problems with the laketroll mostly have to do with the fact that it takes two hands to manipulate (Or a hand and a knee).  I also found that the brake nut would loosen on the descent almost to the point that it would fall off. With the depthmaster, it is completely one handed operation.  Pull the brake handle to let it descend and when you get to the correct depth, you just let it go and the brake engages with no input from you.   when you are ready to retrieve the downrigger, you just start reeling it in. You do not have to release the brake first. It does it on its own.  Then when you have it up, you just let the handle go and the brake engages at the top.  with the laketroll, You have to physically engage the brake at each stop and depending how far the brake nut has backed out, it can take quite a bit of effort.  Bottom line, the laketroll is too much work to be worth it.

Now for the mods to the depthmaster to make it work. 
1. shortening the boom.  Very easy. disassemble the DR (very simple). remove the boom and insert a rod into the boom and tap out the end cap.  (This way you avoid having to redrill the mounting hole at the base) I took 10 1/2" off the end) There is no room for the boom mounted rod holder after shortening the boom. 
2. Alexb has a great video on here somewhere on his mount.  I used a scotty 1015 mount that I modified (Again, a VERY simple mod.). It is for a 90 degree mount and the gunnel wall of my outback is a little more than 90. All I did was place it on my garage floor and tap the 90 angle with a small sledge hammer until it reached the angle to where it laid flat on the gunnel.  With it laying flat, It has plenty of support so there is no flex in the inner wall of the kayak at all.  It works perfectly. 

This worked for my older model outback. It looks like it would work on the newer model as well with the mount being placed inside the mesh pocket area.  l will attach some pics if I can figure out how.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  You also mentioned a Revo, those have narrow gunnels, this probably would not work for that particular kayak.   

This downrigger does not interfere with the pedal motion in anyway.  AlexB did modify the downrigger so that the brake handle was on the other side. I didn't find this to be necessary.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:43:57 PM by Grim Reefer »

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
What is worth it to one might not be to another. Sometimes I bump the lock nut as I lower the weight and it gets a little over loose. I just make an effort to avoid doing that. Sometime it binds a little and I have to straighten it out so it turns smoothly. I have no problem using it with one hand, no knee required. I stop with my palm on the handle and spin the lock nut with my fingers. I do it with my left hand and I am right handed so it can’t be that hard. I’ve never used a depthmaster so I can’t compare the two. If you want a less expensive model or if you want to avoid modifying a depth master, the Lake Troller does the job. If you can do the mods and want a higher end model it sounds like the Depth Master has some nice features.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

solsrf1

• Industry Affiliate
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Thanks for all of the helpful information and great pics! Mike

Big Hammer Pro Staff
Kayak Connection Fishing Team

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
When I get all settled in I might be selling mine.
Electric remote control.
<=>

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I have mounted a Scotty Laketroller downrigger on my 13' Ocean Kayak Trident, and a Scotty Depthmaster and a Cannon Lake-Troll on my 13' Revolution.  By far my favorite downrigger setup is the Cannon Lake-Troll, which I have been using since the winter of 2014.  I posted a description of how I mounted it on my Revolution, why I mounted it that way, and how I use it at http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=12575.msg138905#msg138905 .
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:49:18 PM by pmmpete »

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I have mounted a Scotty Laketroller downrigger on my 13' Ocean Kayak Trident, and a Scotty Depthmaster and a Cannon Lake-Troll on my 13' Revolution.  By far my favorite downrigger setup is the Cannon Lake-Troll, which I have been using since the winter of 2014.  I posted a description of how I mounted it on my Revolution, why I mounted it that way, and how I use it at http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=12575.msg138905#msg138905 .

I actually looked at the Cannon and was going to go that route buuuut, I fish lefty and the handle would be on the wrong side for me.  Great set up tho.

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I actually looked at the Cannon and was going to go that route buuuut, I fish lefty and the handle would be on the wrong side for me.  Great set up tho.
What do you mean when you say that you "fish lefty?"  I'm left handed, and I prefer to hold my rod in my left hand and crank my reel with my right hand.  I can play in fish equally well whether my rod is pointing to the right or to the left in its rod holder.  However, if you want to be able to reel in fishing line when the reel is in its rod holder, the handle of the reel needs to be facing you when the rod is in its rod holder.  When using a level wind trolling reel which I crank with my right hand, that means that the rod needs to be pointing towards the right in its rod holder, which is what you want when your downrigger is mounted on the right gunwale. 

yatzmail@yahoo.com

What do you mean when you say that you "fish lefty?"  I'm left handed, and I prefer to hold my rod in my left hand and crank my reel with my right hand.
Sounds like he's holding his rod in his right instead of your left :)

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I used both a Cannon and Scotty, small lake versions of both, and they worked good. If you are ocean trolling a lot, then I would definitely go with the full size downrigger. I prefer Cannon on a yak, their spool is vertical and takes up less room
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

anything