Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:49:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:46:36 AM]

[Today at 08:45:08 AM]

[Today at 08:01:43 AM]

[Today at 07:37:53 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: best iphone case for kayak? [update]  (Read 4168 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I use Optrix and Hitcase for my old iPhone 5s. I haven't had any issues with either and frequently use them for footage.

Those both look to be nearly indestructible. Any preference as to ease of use or other factors?
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

lorikay2

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
My girlfriend dropped her iPhone 6 off the back of the boat while docking. She had it in a life proof case but I figured it wouldn't matter since she dropped it an hour after she told me about it. I was curious how it would hold up, so I dove ~12' behind the boat and found it 1.5 hours after being submerged. Still worked with a little moisture around the charge port.
team red triangle member
2015 5th place DOTY
2016 3rd place DOTY

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
http://www.amazon.com/Bar-Fly-Mount-Waterproof-Rugged/dp/B00RW57QWQ/ref=pd_cp_147_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TY9DKT054A9SYJJJRSA

found it even cheaper.  you can probably use the handelbar mount to attach the phone to your paddle!  quick access for when GWS comes calling . . .

and yes, optrix is trigging tough.  check out some of the vids where they stupidly throw a cased phone against a barn door, and other dramatic ish.

They is bulk tho

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Lifeproof seems like the necessary evil here. My Lifeproof has lasted (nearly) the two years it needed to before the next phone upgrade. Like someone else mentioned, the rubber peeled up a little in one corner, so it isn't 100% waterproof anymore. Still seems to be doing fine in my PFD pocket despite some splashing.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Lifeproof seems like the necessary evil here. My Lifeproof has lasted (nearly) the two years it needed to before the next phone upgrade. Like someone else mentioned, the rubber peeled up a little in one corner, so it isn't 100% waterproof anymore. Still seems to be doing fine in my PFD pocket despite some splashing.
I found that mine came apart in the same spots as an effect of taking it in/out of pant pockets often. 

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Yup. At least the rubber isn't as sticky as the Otterbox stuff. My old Otter was a pain. Kept sticking to my pockets and turning them inside out when I pulled out my phone.

charlesthe2nd

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Can confirm the usefulness of the Lifeproof case.  Both my GF and I have LP cases on our iPhone 6.  After plenty of drops, a submersion or two, and a lot of rough use, it has kept my phone dry and undamaged.  Only real gripe about the thing is that the 3mm jack connection is a real PITA.  However, I recently noticed when I was out in Monterey bay that a bit of moisture got into the thin plastic that covers the home button.  It was very minimal but I'm going to call Lifeproof and see if they'll replace it.  They have good customer service and replaced the audio jack attachment when it began to crap out. 
"No man steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."  -Heraclitus

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
When I got a new iPhone 6 I wanted to start bringing it along with me in the kayak. I did a lot of cyber research and reading reviews before I settled on a Catalyst brand case. My son had one of the Lifeproof cases on his and I can hardly understand him when he's talking on it. Sounds like he's talking with a mouth full of marbles. After reading review after review stating the same problem with life proof especially the new ones, I went on the search for an alternative. What goods a phone that you can't understand what's being said? I finally settled on the Catalyst. It's rated for twice as deep submersion. Fits most chargers (problem I read with the lifeproof original or nada) It sounds GREAT, and has a place to tether it from a corner. All good things. The one thing I don't like as much is it's harder to see in bright sunlight. Unlike the nude, it's a completely encapsulated case. The size is manageable, and the photos are good. Everything on the phone can be operated well including the ringer switch, and fingerprint ID. I'm very pleased with the case and never have a need to remove it. The biggest problem was getting one. I had to order it online and it took for ever to come, but it was well worth the wait. I give it ***** Seriously, take a look at one before you buy. I also bought a retractable tether that is attached to my vest. It has a small plastic buckle clip that has a loop of 100b test spectra on it. When I use the phone on my yak, I just remove the clip, loop the braid through the built in loop deal on the case and clip it back onto the retractable tether. Now I'm not going to drop it in the drink either.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
When I got a new iPhone 6 I wanted to start bringing it along with me in the kayak. I did a lot of cyber research and reading reviews before I settled on a Catalyst brand case. My son had one of the Lifeproof cases on his and I can hardly understand him when he's talking on it. Sounds like he's talking with a mouth full of marbles. After reading review after review stating the same problem with life proof especially the new ones, I went on the search for an alternative. What goods a phone that you can't understand what's being said? I finally settled on the Catalyst. It's rated for twice as deep submersion. Fits most chargers (problem I read with the lifeproof original or nada) It sounds GREAT, and has a place to tether it from a corner. All good things. The one thing I don't like as much is it's harder to see in bright sunlight. Unlike the nude, it's a completely encapsulated case. The size is manageable, and the photos are good. Everything on the phone can be operated well including the ringer switch, and fingerprint ID. I'm very pleased with the case and never have a need to remove it. The biggest problem was getting one. I had to order it online and it took for ever to come, but it was well worth the wait. I give it ***** Seriously, take a look at one before you buy. I also bought a retractable tether that is attached to my vest. It has a small plastic buckle clip that has a loop of 100b test spectra on it. When I use the phone on my yak, I just remove the clip, loop the braid through the built in loop deal on the case and clip it back onto the retractable tether. Now I'm not going to drop it in the drink either.

Thanks for the info. That looks like a good one.

I still haven't taken the plunge on a plunge-proof case, but at the moment I'm leaning towards Optrix, mostly because it has a gopro-like mounting system. And I'm concerned that if I hang one more thing off of my PFD, I might be mistaken for a submersible Christmas tree...

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Life proof and a life proof life jacket. It's an awesome combo.

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Hmmm. PFD gear. I've got a radio, signal mirror, signal whistle, dive knife, waterproof camera, cell phone, signal flasher, line clippers. Oh and built in floatation.... :smt003

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
I was given a lifeproof case a little over a year ago. It has now completely become worthless. The case started falling apart around the edges. Then the window for the camera lens fell out. I was hesitant about purposefully dunking it with my phone in it but I thought that the dusty environment where I work would be a good test as to its seal. It sucked. Fine dust particulate gets into the housing so I could imagine what liquid would do. Thanks Jonesz. I'm getting a new phone and definitely the case is not going to be a lifeproof.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Hmmm. PFD gear. I've got a radio, signal mirror, signal whistle, dive knife, waterproof camera, cell phone, signal flasher, line clippers. Oh and built in floatation.... :smt003

OK, you win...

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Craig I had one fall apart too and they replaced it no questions

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I've been using the Optrix iPhone case for a couple of seasons now. I have the case mounted on my kayak, kinda like a FF, and when OTW, mostly use my phone for GPS. Unfortunately, I lost the rubber seal that makes it waterproof, so ended up ordering a new case, and for $20, it seems like a good deal:

https://www.amazon.com/Optrix-Body-Glove-Kit-iPhone/dp/B00W7S34XS

The case is waterproof, but not so useful for making calls as the sound is muffled. And with wet fingers it is difficult to use the touch screen when the phone is inside the case. If I have to make a call when on the water, I'll pop the phone out of the case. Taking pictures with the case on is OK, but to be honest, I usually take the phone out the case for that too (or to post a live report), as wet fingers plus the case makes everything more difficult.

Anyways, it works great for my intended purpose, which is to use my iPhone for GPS. The phone is well protected from water and it's easily accessible if I need it for anything else.