Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:06:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: best iphone case for kayak? [update]  (Read 4134 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Lifeproof case worked great for mine when I WAS a fan of Apple.  After 2 years, the phone looked like it came out of the showroom case despite having been dropped in water, dust, dirt & thrown across a room into a rock wall.  Little $$ but worth it IMHO.  Would have bought one for my current phone but they are somewhat selective of the models they make them for.

Based on the reviews on Amazon, Lifeproof looks like it's hit or miss, without much in between. For the iPhone 6 model, 42% give 5 stars and 23% with 1 star...

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I have a gps, though the screen is pretty small compared to my I Phone's, and my luck with electronics on the water is terrible, so I just got a throw away phone that doesn't need to be flipped open, that I keep inside a snack bag inside a small zip-lock (but much thicker material) style pouch tethered to my life jacket.
    For dry land use, I like the Otterbox. My new one is much better-constructed than the one I bought about 5 years ago.  I added a tether with a clip to it ( attached to a piece of credit card behind the hole in the back) so I don't lose it - the tether is short enough so the won't hit the ground if I drop it.  But I'll still find some way to ruin it.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I have a gps, though the screen is pretty small compared to my I Phone's, and my luck with electronics on the water is terrible, so I just got a throw away phone that doesn't need to be flipped open, that I keep inside a snack bag inside a small zip-lock (but much thicker material) style pouch tethered to my life jacket.
    For dry land use, I like the Otterbox. My new one is much better-constructed than the one I bought about 5 years ago.  I added a tether with a clip to it ( attached to a piece of credit card behind the hole in the back) so I don't lose it - the tether is short enough so the won't hit the ground if I drop it.  But I'll still find some way to ruin it.

I've got a super-cheapo-old-beat-up-piece-of-crap flip phone now, and I take that kayaking. That's more than sufficient for actual phone use.

Btw, I've also had some bad luck with electronics OTW. I had an awesome handheld GPS that now resides at the bottom of Lake Oroville. I'm hoping that the drought continues for a few more years so I can recover it. In any case (bad pun intended...), I really want to make sure that my iPhone doesn't meet a similar fate.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I use a Lifeproof and I will say it works well, when it works. By that I mean that I have two of them break the rubber edge and lose the seal. I will give them credit though for this. My first one went bad within a year. it was from using their waterproof float for it. I got in touch for warranty since it was less than a year old. They replaced it no questions asked. I now only put the phone in the float enough to have a tight fit, but not to the point where it will cause stress on the case. Still floats and is secure, but you can't take pics that way. Fast forward another year to about 3 weeks ago. I f'd it up, my fault. Jammed it in the rear door of my buddy's car door. OOPS!. Figured I would try the warranty route, even though it was now two years plus since I bough the first one. On the website all it asked for was the serial number and a picture of what it looked like. Also wanted when purchased. I just said a year ago since it was just year ago when I got that one. To their credit just as soon as I submitted the warranty info I got an email saying one would be shipped the next day. It arrived at my door 4 days later. So, product is ok and if taken care of will last a year or two. Service/warranty- excellent.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I have a lifeproof for my Galaxy S5 and the 1st one I had for a year or so had issues with my voice not coming through clear on calls.  I lost my phone at the Cape a couple months back and got it all replaced and the voice issue was fixed, but the bottom cover that you open to get to the charging point broke and then it fell in the ocean, but I have a leash on my phone.  Now I cant use it until I get the case replaced.  The case has worked great otherwise as long as you can get your hands semi dry.  Mine has been on all my salt trips the last 2 years now.  It holds up to my abuse and it definitely gets abused.  I post live reports from the Shelter Cove and Trinidad otw with my phone in the Lifeproof case.
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
I think its hit or miss with these waterproof cases. I originally had Lifeproof that lasted just a little under a year until it started to fall apart. I then purchased some Lifeproof knockoff for $3 each from Amazon. It was so cheap, I purchased 2. The first one lasted a year until it fell apart. I then used the spare case and after a week both volume buttons came off 3 days apart. Cant win.

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
The older model Samsung Galaxy 5 is already water resistant with no external case. I plan on upgrading to this phone within the next month & purchasing another Lifeproof case to house it. My old Lifeproof case has a crack in the frame where I dropped it onto a cement sidewalk but it was fine before that. Not sure but I don't think Iphone's are water resistant so it's nice to know that even if my Lifeproof case is damaged & water gets inside the S5 can handle some moisture. That being said I wouldn't deliberately submerge any phone in any case.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I use a lifeproof case because it isn't too bulky. When I kayak I put it into a ziplock Baggie also. That way it isn't likely to be flooded with water even if I go overboard. I can still use the phone in the Baggie, except for taking pictures.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Lifeproof case worked great for mine when I WAS a fan of Apple.  After 2 years, the phone looked like it came out of the showroom case despite having been dropped in water, dust, dirt & thrown across a room into a rock wall.  Little $$ but worth it IMHO.  Would have bought one for my current phone but they are somewhat selective of the models they make them for.

Based on the reviews on Amazon, Lifeproof looks like it's hit or miss, without much in between. For the iPhone 6 model, 42% give 5 stars and 23% with 1 star...
The issue iv'e "heard" with Amazon being hit & miss for this case has to due with knock off cases.  I read an article somewhere that talked about Amazons lack of control over what is being supplied to them to be re-sold.  For some items, I'm willing to pay a little more to purchase from a brick & mortar store that is purchasing direct, not acting as a distribution middleman in an effort to purchase the real-deal item.  I have a strong feeling this is what happened with Amazon & a large number of items.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I have an Otterbox Armor:

http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Armor-Series-Waterproof-iPhone/dp/B00B59NKUM

Thing is bomb proof...bulky as heck, but I take it out on yak with me all the time and no worries about water or salt or sand or shock.

I bring it in a Ziploc bag with a little towel to dry my hands...I find once my fingers are wet and cold from diving that sometimes the screen won't read them.

I use the Navionics Boating app to mark spots and navigate back to them.

Love it.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Otterbox Armor!!!

I dove into pools with it, video taped my gBabies under water and haven't had any problems of moisture in the case at all.....
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I got an Otterbox Defender series 3 case for my iphone 4s because it came in camo, about 2yrs ago (from Cabelas). It fell off my dresser onto hardwood floor and completely shattered the glass iphone screen (from a height of approx 4ft). Disappointed, I called customer service because it was practically brand new; I only had it for about a month. No dice...Otterbox refused to provide any form of compensation/apology for my broken phone. So, screw Otterbox! They can go eat a bag of dicks.   
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I got an Otterbox Defender series 3 case for my iphone 4s because it came in camo, about 2yrs ago (from Cabelas). It fell off my dresser onto hardwood floor and completely shattered the glass iphone screen (from a height of approx 4ft). Disappointed, I called customer service because it was practically brand new; I only had it for about a month. No dice...Otterbox refused to provide any form of compensation/apology for my broken phone. So, screw Otterbox! They can go eat a bag of dicks.

C'mon, tell us what you really think...

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
i use both lifeproof and optrix cases for my IP5 (and LP for my ipad). 

Got LP from a three years back when my friend worked there, preacquisition by otter.
The optrix i bot on amazon along with the handlebar mount for my bike.

have found both to be durable enough for my needs.

For ease of use, optrix >> LP.  no having to peel apart and reseal a klugey ass gasket.  Just place into sled and pop into case.  It is a little buklier tho.

Whatever you do, make sure you buy a float.  Both LP and Optrix have good float options.

http://www.amazon.com/Optrix-CycleX-handlebar-Waterproof-iPhone/dp/B00Q75EUFS

TFM

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I use Optrix and Hitcase for my old iPhone 5s. I haven't had any issues with either and frequently use them for footage.