Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Heroes on the Water... NCKA Rocks!!!!  (Read 17815 times)

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Wow guys!!! Awsome report and cause. Frank you really hit the nail on the head with your report and perspective. Don I would have loved to been a part of this. I was on duty and we had a big public CPR event at work that called for all hands on deck. No way I was going to be able to get this day off. Keep me in the loop for the next one will ya? My hats' off to all that participated. I'm sure you'll reap the rewards of good will, and just plain feeling good about it for some time to come..... nice work.

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Thanks for the shout Don,
Glad this was a big success as these Gentlemen deserve the best we can give them. I would also like to give a big round of applause for those who were able to give of their time so freely for those who gave so much more for our freedoms.
Thank you,
Eric
Hobie Outback (dune)

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Thanks for the shout Don,
Glad this was a big success as these Gentlemen deserve the best we can give them. I would also like to give a big round of applause for those who were able to give of their time so freely for those who gave so much more for our freedoms.
Thank you,
Eric

you deserve it.... having those poles ready to go and the ease of getting up and going, made a HUGE difference in getting The Vets on their way fast,

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:20:36 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Ill paste mine here and just add... Sonny thats a couple of funny pics of me checking out the 25 hundred rods he had on that boat, that was Charlie's boat, Don old bud who figured out the lake and put guys on fish all day long.
Thanx Don for setting this up, words cant describe the rewards I felt looking around and seeing the beaming smiles appear on these folks from catching fish, watching their comrades catch, and just being there.
Jack went nuts with some gourmet food-fare, everyone was impressed and stuffed.
BassmanBen showed up with 12 brand new rods n reels and a big pile of his own tackle for the Vets, that caught fish, at one point all was being used and no one was left out-perfect- you rock dude.
Me, Don and Frank had this lake to ourselves the afternoon/night before, stars/bullfrogs galore, nice fire right there, we fished the dock for a few fish and even more hits, then we just laid on our backs to get floored by the stars and shot the sh*t... after hearing the frogs the night before, and catching a fatty, I tied on a plastic one in the AM and nailed a TOAD at the dock in the weeds, AWESOME explosive attack, wow, didnt measure but I would say pushing 19 or 20 ", that was cool!
Fished on the yak for an hour or so before the Vets for lots of missed hits on the frog but I still loved the attacks! I found out I kind of suck at the hookset with a topwater (no braid also...)...always thinking....next time Im gonna get 'im.
When the Vets arrived, we had tons of yaks waiting, rigs, and guides. Jack, Frank and I had cook/food prepare while the guides were putting people on fish, Don running around and making it all happen, putting guides with Vets, getting the Vets into the yaks, and repeating this all morning.
I was very proud to be the guide for Sal, former F-4 Phantom Navy AND Marine pilot-Helicopter Pilot, then went into the C.I.A. to become a Spook- the real deal, and a total comedian, had everyone cracking up, loved to show off his missing toe that he cut off in the field. He didnt want to fish so we just paddled around in our Tridents.
Ill do this again anytime. And I dont want to forget the rest of you guys that showed up overloaded with boats, NCKAers and others with the Bass Boats too and the V.A. staff too, these Vets deserve it all and more.
Don and Jack put out at least 500 bucks of their own money for this, if I could help out more I would love to, you guys are Heros too...
The hot stick of the event, hands down BIG JIM! Great to meet you at last! I was so glad you put Paul on fish, he wanted it bad, I was fishing on the dock with him when they arrived, another comedian!
Cant wait for the next time, and a HUGE thanx for all the Veterans-Ben 
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Ha! I set the canoe up for two Vets but the battery was some kind of dead and it's a sail so we packed it up...
some pics..
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

zisco

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
 It was really good  to be part of this even   thank you all for being part of it,  excellent food,   thank you Don for all your hard work  putting this together,   I want to thank Ben for trying to  get me  a Bass,( I will next time)  and  Big Jim thank you for  catching fish all around me, I will post pictures latter,  It was nice to see all Veterans have such a great time.
paintors hate holidays

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Hey Sonny - don't forget Kelsy is private and the fish cought there don't count towards AOTY :smt005
(but there are some monster kitty's in that lake)

I know...but why would I want to "downgrade" my LMB?  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Mini Ducker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Cool, I looked up the Ranch's web site and it seems like a nice setup. It is pricey for a membership, but I think events like this are a very good thing and important to the participants. Kudos' to all who took time out to help out and participated in the event.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Been thinking alot about what a great day it was on Friday...

One thing that stuck in my mind...while I was fishing with Kat, who was pretty boisterous and light hearted, she got serious for awhile and started talking about the Art Therapy that she does with the VA to help with her "issues" and how she really enjoyed it...

Then she said "You know the VA offers a lot of great programs that can really help, as long you don't sit around feeling sorry for yourself...like this kayak fishing, this is AWESOME!!"

Kat served our country (she was Army was all she said, and I didn't ask for more details), and she has a tough road ahead of her...but she is trying, and getting out of bed every day and making the most of what life has to offer, and I am proud and honored that I was able to spend time on the water with her and bring her some smiles, laughter and joy.

Thanks again Don and all of NCKA for making this day a reality.

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks so much again to all who Helped with is event...
we were working at Max capacity and we " Got er Done!!! "

Twice while working the event, we ran out of of Gear and Vets....  :smt003

Those were the " AHhhhhhh.... " Moments....

This event has generated a ton of stuff,  even though I have been at work, I have been also on the computer non-stop responding and following up and I am no-where near caught up...

I really don't know what is next, but we are moving forward, that's for sure...

Thanks Again for Everyone's Help and Support and another Special Thanks to those who have donated to Heroes on the Water...

Every little bit helps and Thank You.....  :smt006  

Looks like we are asking much of our members these days and it is my Hope that I will secure funding for this program in the future.

Lets also remember our Brother Mooch who needs us Now...

So.....

Another Special Shout Out to Mooch!!!!!

We were thinking of you Brother, and still Are....

Get Well Soon!!!!

We Need Your Brave Wit & Humor out there with these other Brave Men and Women!!!!

See ya soon My Friend.....  :smt004
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:30:15 AM by Danglin »

Which are You ,,,

ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Another small perk just came in for anyone working the event...

10% off at West Marine stores on Kayak gear or assessories..

Thanks Donny and remind all that attended that if they mention they were at the KBR event while shopping our Stockton, Sacramento, Rocklin or Fresno stores they will get 10% off of any Kayak or accessories.

Charley Almassey

West Coast Inland District Manager

West Marine Pro Angler

Also Kayakjack is missing a Paddle.....  Anyone?

I also have a Hobie seat from GS4 from someone who was staying at the Hotel

Which are You ,,,

ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
thanks for picking up my slack fellas.....i never flake, but had to on this one AND I REGRET IT HARD!!!

Good job Don!, getting it all together and keeping it together must have been stressful. Seeing the second hand smiles in the pics myself, being there seeing them first hand must have made ALL OF YOU VERY HAPPY.

I SALUTE YOU ALL for ALL THAT WAS DONE for THOSE WHO NEEDED IT THE MOST!!   
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Big Thanks to Danglin and Congrats on a highly successful HOW event.

It was a long, hot, windy day and worth every minute of it.

Here are some pics of Paul F. The smiles tell it all; the guy worked hard through the wind but was determined to catch a fish and his tenacity paid off. He was completely stoked when he boated this 18 incher and left the event looking forward to getting out fishing again.

I managed to boat one decent fish in the afternoon on the red plastic craw:

Later in the evening I became obsessed with trying to hook a fish on a frog - lots of blow-ups but couldn't get one to stick. Finally, BMB somehow forced me back to my senses and I landed one on a creature bait sometime after 8pm.

Thanks again to Danglin for putting this together and everyone who participated. It was great to see Frank...fishing, and grilling, and selflessly helping out as usual. Jack, great work with the food. Special thanks to Eric yakhopper; as Don mentioned, yakhopper lent his kayak fleet for the event and donated 12 spinning outfits, which turned out to be essential to getting the vets rigged up smoothly - WTG.  :smt001  Also, thanks to BMB (bassmanben) for arranging the kayaks & gear with yakhopper - even though Ben tricked me into driving to Fresno to pick up the yaks, it was well worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat for this event.  :smt003  Props to everyone else who donated their time, energy & resources. Good work, folks.  :thumleft:  And, of course, thanks to the vets themselves.
Catch & Repeat

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Sorry for taking a while to post here, After getting back with Bertha and the Doc I had t boot scoot home for another 4 day drill weekend.  I write this from the the Base that time forgot,good ole (scratch that, just ole, there isn't much here that is good) Camp Roberts. 

I can't say enough how great it was to see you guys working with the Vets when we got there.  I feel I owe an apology for getting there so late.  Bertha did not like that 20 mile stretch of "road" coming in to KBL.  I was down to 10-15 miles an hour to get her through the rough patches.  We went a differnt way going back added a little time but we all still have kidneys.

Don you worked your tail off for this.  Glad I wa able to be a catlyst to get you moving forward.  BMB thanks for letting me paddle around in your hobbie for a few minutes, I am green with envy.  Big Jim I am not sure enjoyed their time out there more, you or her.  You also came in with big grin.  Frank & Kayak Jack awesome food!  I need to get the corn recipie from you. 

A special big thanks to All the NCKER's,  who lend a hand wether from  donation or actual participation.  I saw some real happy vets out there when it was all said and done!

Thanks to my boss Dr. Tong for letting Bertha out, Dr. Lighthall to agree to come out and support it.  A big thanks to KLB folks for loaning us the place, and to everyone else .  Everyone went above and beyond!

Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hey All the guys who Volunteered ...

could you PM me your REAL Name....

Kayak Jack,

did you find your paddle?

Which are You ,,,

ELK 07  1st Place Loser