Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:17:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 06.12.2011 ARW Live Report  (Read 6399 times)

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
the winners:
1= Paul La = 32 7/8" Halibut
2= Francisco Guerrero = 32 1.4" Halibut
3= Tony Guerrero = 31 1/4" Halibut

Hobie Outback (dune)

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I would like take a moment to thank all those who have participated in the 2011 series,
I have been blessed to have the oppertunity to bring members both new and old together to partake in one of the greatest social activaties I know. To date this series has encouraged over 100 new anglers to try Kayak Fishing, Introduced numerous kayakers to one another and has promoted the comrodery that I have learned from this community. None of these things could have occured without the generous support of the sponsors or the continued support of YOU the kayaking community.
 With that said, I must also appologise,
In my efforts to promote the comrodery, fun and good sportsmanship of the event I have had to make some in the moment changes. It appears that in doing so I have forgotten that some anglers are more competitive than others and they have felt these changes have left them at a disadvantage. To these anglers that I may have left at a disadvantage I do appolagise. My main concern on these decisions was to insure the fun of the group and to satisfy the goal of the series (to create a fun, inviting atmosphere also create comrodery and brotherhood). After reviewing my decisions I realize that I made two main errors. The first error was to allow optional species to be allowed should there be a lack of the targeted species. My goal in this decision was to keep the group excited with the lack of targeted species. My second error was in allowing a 5 min grace period. My goal was to be fair to all anglers as the check in had been moved to the opposite end of the parking area and it would take a few min. to secure your gear and get to the check in. 
 I am writing this appologie to let the anglers that might have felt at a disadvantage know that I value their concerns and hope you understand why the decisions were made.
If there are ever any concerns reguarding the series please feel free to contact me directly - I want to know.

Eric / Yakhopper
(559) 284-4299 cell
yakhopper@att.net
Hobie Outback (dune)

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I didn't catch anything, but I think you did and done great things with all "Yakhopper Series" You can't make everybody happy all the time.
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Eric,

I do not believe there is a need to apologize, I see no harm in modifying the rules to accommodate unforseen circumstances; plus this event is merely for fun.

You did a great job trying to accommodate the vast majority of the participants; and I look forward to the next event!

Glen
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

chaeki

• Sea Lion
  • Archer, Fisher, Diver, Shooter, Babysitter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Eric,

I do not believe there is a need to apologize, I see no harm in modifying the rules to accommodate unforseen circumstances; plus this event is merely for fun.

You did a great job trying to accommodate the vast majority of the participants; and I look forward to the next event!

Glen

+1 amen to that

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Eric,

Glen

+1 amen to that

+2
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

On The Hunt

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
yakhopper,

Thanks for a fun event.  If next time you could arrange for some fish that would be great. (KIDDING)  Lots of good people, being new at this and the first time at this type of event, folks where helpful.  Giving tricks of the trade (halibut Fishing) to tide information and help launching. Oh and winning one of the hourly drawings wasn't bad either. Thanks to the sponsors for the nice prizes.  Hope to make it to the next event, work may get in the way.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Eric,

Glen

Well said Glen! Some people seem to forget why they fish. If your after fame, glory and a $1000.00 pay check at the end of a kayak fishing tourney, there's a lot of those in So. Cal. (go there) If you're content with just fishing for fun, eating good food and enjoying the camaraderie then welcome to NCKA  :smt002  Remember that it's really not always about the fish....it's the fishing. (the "fish" is just the bonus)

Eric, you've done so much for the community. No need for an apology. If there's something to be said at the end of the day, it would be THANK YOU!

Congrats to all the winners!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:42:59 PM by Mooch »

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Eric,

Glen

+1 amen to that

+2
+3

Eric.... THANK YOU SO MUCH for putting on another great derby.  I know what it's a lot of hard work.

All of us local guys just couldn't believe how nice and calm it was for most of the derby.  The wind was howling up to a few hours before the derby and kicked up again near weigh-in time.  Eric's timing couldn't have been any better.

Fishing sucked for most of us, but the company and fun ALWAYS makes up for it!
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
+4  You did everything right in my book
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Nothing more to say after reading Mooch's comment.  Mooch; you said it all!!!

Thank You Eric and Fisherman's Warehouse

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
+1 to all that has already been said. One thing that I have learned in life is "If you try to make everyone happy all the time, you will make no one happy every time." I was a great event, with great weather and even better company. Looking forward to next year...hopefully the fish will cooperate this time!  :smt005 
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Okay... enough already! Eric knows he is greatly appreciated, loved, respected, worshiped by 98.5714285714% of the participants that were there (69 of the 70) and a greater percentage throughout the entire NCKA; so let's get back to what this thread was supposed to be intended for, how much fun we all had at this event.

I'm still waiting for more pics to be posted (especially since I stuck out again on taking pictures because I did not properly charge the 2 batteries), stories to be told, the new friends that we met, etc.....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:28:34 PM by G-Whiz »
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Okay... enough already! Eric knows he is greatly appreciated, loved, respected, worshiped by 98.5714285714% of the participants that were there (69 of the 70) and a greater percentage throughout the entire NCKA; so let's get back to what this thread was supposed to be intended for, how much fun we all had at this event.

I'm still waiting for more pics to be posted (especially since I stuck out again on taking pictures because I did not properly charge the 2 batteries), stories to be told, the new friends that we met, etc.....

You may have checked it out already, but there are more pics on the other ARW thread.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Eric,

Glen
+5 +6
Well said, Glen, all I'm saying is Eric put enough effort period....on the GS5 if I tried to catch a perch (which was easy that day) I would have been for sure in top 10, but I am attending NCKA not for the Fame (I am already famous)  :smt005 but the camaraderie it offers, LOVE NCKA BABY.....Eric you are a good man and definitely doing a good things, keep your head high for you did not do anything wrong...
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

anything