Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:42:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Turbo Fins?  (Read 5083 times)

Travis

My friend is selling some scuba gear.  He is selling a pair of fins he said they are called Turbo Fins.  I think he said they have a split blade. He said he would sell them to me really cheap and they have only been used once.  Would these fins be okay for freediving? 

miyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
You need the power now spilt fins ane made for scuba divers.

This should help you.

Mike
Most important is your choice of fins.
You do NOT want traditional short and stiff scuba fins.
You want what are known as freediving fins, and brand names associated with this are A.B. Biller; Cressi Rondine Garas; and Esclapez. Of this group, all are very good, but we favor the Esclapez because of their unique feature of having several different stiffnesses to satisfy divers of different strengths and with different uses. If you plan on being in the water all day--7 hours or so, you will want very flexible. If you want to go very fast for a much shorter time, you may want the "very rigid", black colored ones...but you had better be a "Seriously fit diver to go for the black fins...Most divers should go with either the softest or the standard rigidity fins. While the stiffest Esclapez fin is far more flexible than a traditional scuba fin, and able to deliver far more thrust with far greater efficiency, the power and technique required for it is well beyond all but the best competition freedivers.

http://www.sfdj.com/sand/freedive.html
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 11:40:41 AM by Bill »

Travis

I might be able to get these fins dirt cheap so I am wandering if they will work for me for a while or if I should just pass and wait to  buy freediving fins.

miyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Anything is better than nothing.  And if you scuba dive you will probably like them.  For the depth your diving (I'M GUESSING 10 to 30 ft) they will be fine.

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I was just at the dive shop today asking about them.  The guy (whom I know and trust) said that the stiffest version of the turbo fins would be good for ab diving... the others might be a bit too soft.  The key is using short strokes rather than long sweeping strokes.  I was told that if you stroke them right, they are very efficient.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Travis

So if I get the turbo fins I should go stiff and if I get other fins I should go soft?  Most of what I was reading was saying that softer fins are generally better for freediving.  Thanks for the feedback guys.  I want to make a good choice when I buy.

miyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I think Erik has the right idea, talk to the local dive shop/shops and you'll have a better idea of what you need.

Mike

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
See what the brand name is first. There are several different split fins out there and some are just plain crap.
If you plan on doing mostly freediving, I would get freediving fins. Do a lot of research. Check Rodales for comparisons on the different brands of fins. From everything I have researched, split fins are for SCUBA. I have dived several spearfishing/abalone diving tournaments and not a single diver has ever worn split fins; if that tells you anything. And trust me, these guys and girls are the cream of the crop. If they thought split fins would help them even a tiny tiny bit, they would have them.
<=>

Travis

I went and looked at these fins today and they were not very good.  I ended up at Dolphin in Sacramento looking at the sporasub freediving fins.  The people there are very helpfull and I got a lot of good information.  I was looking at the sporasub freediving wetsuits they can order and I am now thinking about getting one of those.

miyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
good I'm glad you went to a dive shop. The only other thing I can say is go to other dive shops and compair notes. unless you are going to be a dedicated freediver see what the dfferance is between a reg. wetsuit and one of the freedive suits.

Mike

srm

good I'm glad you went to a dive shop. The only other thing I can say is go to other dive shops and compair notes. unless you are going to be a dedicated freediver see what the dfferance is between a reg. wetsuit and one of the freedive suits.

Mike

Check out Andy's scuba world on madison ave...near auburn blvd.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I was snorkeling and diving with a buddy in hawaii, I using sorta long blades and he had split fins.  The difference in top speed underwater is dramatic.  Especially scuba diving I was swimming circles around everyone else.  On the surface the difference isn't so dramatic though.  The only drawback to them is that your calves will be more sore from using them for long periods.  I'd suggest getting flexible freediving fins and using them for both scuba and freediving.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Since I bought my longblade Omers (with Riffe's name on them), I have used them exclusively for free and tanking. Scuba fins can be good for abs way under rocks, etc. 'cause they're more manueverable, but the long blades are the best I think. I freedove for years with scuba fins, but I wouldn't go back. Make sure you get closed foot pocket fins for freediving, which only work with dive socks (no booties with soles). More money!
The Omers are a good buy I think.
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

fish'n'dive

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
I have the long blades Sporasub, I swear by them, I have used Sporasub long blades in freediving for more than 20 years. As said before, get the foot pocket version of these blades, avoid the strap version as they can be very dangerous when the straps and buckles get tangled in kelp as you go back up to the surface.
My 2 cents :smt001
Fish'n'dive

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I have Cressi long blade fins with the straps. I thought about going with the foot pockets, but it was more practical and convenient for me to wear shoes, not socks. I don't want to have to walk on rocks near the surf with socks and I don't want to change footwear every time I enter and exit the beach.
As for the kelp entanglement worries; just use electrical tape and secure the loose ends of the straps or reroute the loose ends so they are on the inside, not the outside. Straps are a lot easier to put on and take off too.
Don't let kelp worries make your decision. Go for what works best for you and is the most comfortable.
<=>

anything