Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:03:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Carmel 7-14  (Read 886 times)

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I got to sneak out and fish for the first time in about a month. This was my first fishing trip as a DAD...but there were a lot more firsts today too!

Caught my first keeper ling in a while. Caught my first sanddab from a kayak (I don't know why they've eluded me for so long), and I caught my first shark!

Me and Jeff launched from the south end of Monastery beach around noon (lil Joe Duke was up all morning being fussy so I got a late start). It was the first time I've paddled Jeff's tandem with him. Another first...it was also the first time he's had two people on that thing in the ocean. Its an OK Aegean that he got used for cheap. It seems like it could be fast but we couldn't keep the thing straight for longer than 50 feet at a time. 

We paddled out to find our honey hole from earlier this summer. It was difficult to find without a fishfinder. I don't think we ever did find the big pinnacle. But we were "in the ballpark."

We had a short window of time to fish so I brought minimal tackle: just a few scampis, shrimp flies, and leadheads. Had one rod rigged with a rootbeer scampi on 3oz head and the other rod rigged with a white scampi on a 4oz head. Both rods had a three-way swivel and a shrimpfly above the scampi.

We got the standard blues and olives. But then I pulled up a nice ling on the white scampi. Had a nice blue on the shrimpfly above it too. Measured the ling about 5 times just to be completely sure it was legal...I've caught a bunch of 23.5 inchers there! Put it on the game clip, stoked. It even coughed up a big fat smelt for me to use as bait.

We talked to Alien on the water for a couple minutes. Then saw Ark and Marmite as they paddled in too. They were done for the day. Meanwhile, we had kinda just started fishing. I'll get out there early enough to fish with you guys one of these days.

After moving a few times, still trying to find the secret spot, pulled up my first sanddab. "Huh, thats weird...guess we AREN'T over the rocky spot anymore!" 
Then I got another. And another!
Meanwhile, Jeff is catching blue after blue. I think he wanted to get a sanddab. They're good eatin!

Jeff hooked into something substantial so I put my rod aside and readied the gaff [EK custom gaff that performed flawlessly on my ling eariler BTW]. He finally got it up to the surface and we saw it...a shark! Holy crap! Do I gaff it?! Nah, its too small. I tried to grab its tail and get the hook out but it was tough to handle in a tandem kayak. So...I handed the pliers to Jeff and said, "Good luck! I'm going back to fishing!"
As he's dealing with his shark, I get hit HARD! I'm fighting this thing up from about 150 feet and its taking drag and shaking its head violently. I really hoped it was a halibut.
I finally muscled it to the surface and realized it was another shark! An even bigger one! Heck, twice as big! Holy crap again!

It took me a while but I finally got the hook out and released my shark. I did get a couple quick pics of my first shark though!

After the commotion we paddled in close to the kelp line and got a few more rockfish. Nothing big though. We paddled back to the launch (kinda zig zagging) and landed on the beach at 2:30. We hustled to get our gear back in our cars because I had to get home for daddy duty!

I kept the ling and 3 sanddabs. Jeff let everything go today. I owe him a sanddab...totally forgot to give him one when we left. I'll try to get it to you tomorrow dude!

It was easy to load up because we only had his kayak to deal with. Thats part of the reason I didn't bring one of my kayaks. Well...that, and, the fact I sold my truck and have no way to transport my yaks! D'OH!
My wife and I bought a family SUV for my wife to drive lil Joe Duke around in. She wanted a Chrysler Pacifica so thats what we got. Its OK. But my consolation prize is pretty cool: now I will drive her car, a 2006 California Edition Mustang, number 031 of 400. We got it for her in Nov 05 for her 31st birthday [get it, 31 years old and its number 31/400! Yeah, its sweet...and now its all mine...AHAHAHAHA...thats my wicked, cackling laugh!]

Hosed down my gear and cleaned the fish when I got home. For now, I go back to super dad. But hopefully I'll get to go fishing again soon. At least this trip was exciting enough to keep the fire burning for a long time. Because it may be a long time.
Ha!

PK

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 09:49:33 AM by Sin Coast »
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Dogpound

• Salmon
  • Team CCKF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Nice Report, Glad you got out.  Thats a good sized spiny dogfish. 
Wilderness Systems Thresher 140
Wilderness Systems Radar 135

2012 Cambria Slam Down-9th
2014 CCKF AOTY 5th
2017 Cambria Slam Down-6th
2019 CCKF AOTY 2nd

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Congrats on the legal ling and lil Joe Duke.  I've gotten into the dogfish before as well.......find one and you'll find his friends.... :smt012
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
out of curiosity, anyone ever eat a dogfish?
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

I heard that because of the lack of cod, english 'fish' and chips is really dogfish and chips.

so I think they are edible, but I never ate one.
john m. airey

Dogpound

• Salmon
  • Team CCKF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I've read the same thing about english fish and chips, but I too have never eaten one, I released the only one I'Ve ever caught, as I had no idea they may be good eating.
Wilderness Systems Thresher 140
Wilderness Systems Radar 135

2012 Cambria Slam Down-9th
2014 CCKF AOTY 5th
2017 Cambria Slam Down-6th
2019 CCKF AOTY 2nd

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Cool report with kinda exotic species.  Nice pics too.

Way to go on being a dad!  Congratulations, Daddio.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2006
Nice fish PK. And congratulations to you on being a dad!!  :smt001

phishinpat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Good going on the tandem.
I've only had the spiny dogshark once. It was kept due to a bad gaff shot, was only suppose to pierce it's lip but the hook went the other direction. Bleed the shark right away and gutted it right after. Kept it in the saltwater. Gave the fillets to my sis who made her own version of curry rice, but with wild rice instead of white. It was one of the best fish dishes I've ever had, besides the wolf eel stirfried in coconut curry with green beans and red onions.
And I would keep one again, to me it was better than  a Leopard shark.