Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:50:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: NEED HELP--Took my Hobie Island to dealer and they DAMAGED IT  (Read 5914 times)

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
i bet you anything a vehicle could have backed into it and damaged it. the AI's and TI's sit very very low in their trailers. A driver could easily not see the AI or TI sitting on a trailer in their rear view mirror.

I once hauled my AI on a trailer and kept being sketched out when ever i looked at the rear view mirror and could not see the damn thing. I to pull over and get out to see if my ai and trailer were still there. I didn't like hauling in the trailer, that was the first and last.

Just saying things happen. Dumbass people who cant drive for shit happen. People tag on kayaks happen (happen to mine), dumbass drunk people in Oakland happen ( i heard noise outside my house, looked out the window and see drunk dumbass sitting on top of my kayak acting like he is paddling, I slammed him to the ground and beat the shit out of dumbass).

Hope things get fixed and you are back on the water soon.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:54:33 AM by Ariel Sea »
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Well, I suppose...

...either myself, JT, Tammy, Greg, Sou, Shawna or Ben could have taken our drill or dremel tool and intentionally gouged his boat; then, a couple of the stronger lads could have picked up this 124lb beast, found a nasty protuberance somewhere at Jack London Square and slammed it hard against it causing the dent, then as a afterthought, moved the boat randomly against the protuberance to get the scratch effect. So, yeah, sure, I guess we could have done it...

I've never shopped at this place, and after reading this, never will.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Well, I suppose...

...either myself, JT, Tammy, Greg, Sou, Shawna or Ben could have taken our drill or dremel tool and intentionally gouged his boat; then, a couple of the stronger lads could have picked up this 124lb beast, found a nasty protuberance somewhere at Jack London Square and slammed it hard against it causing the dent, then as a afterthought, moved the boat randomly against the protuberance to get the scratch effect. So, yeah, sure, I guess we could have done it...

I've never shopped at this place, and after reading this, never will.

You should see the love letter the guy wrote me last night  :smt055 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Firm believer in a picture is worth 1000 words so a photo of the boat on the trailer and a photo of the storage position as well as static positions with any lift equipment or shop vehicles that "could" have hit it while stored or moved would most certainly end the debate for me because i gave dropped my big tuna, lighter boat and banged it around pretty good without that kind of indentation so unless it was at the high school being used as linebacker practice or the shop had a habit 3-4 team carrying races a vehicle must have been used or it was swung into something while on the trailer. Picture of it on the trailer would clear that up pretty easy.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Alex is sure he didn't do it and has an explanation for his assumptions, Keith is sure it didn't happen at the shop and has a longer explanation for his assumptions,

I find this paragraph particularly insightful being written by the business..

Insightful??   you just stirring up shit?

I suppose he could have been parked somewhere,,, and a truck backed into it..       

OK, I had written more but deleted it thinking less was better.  So, not stirring up shit unless you think the following explanation is:

IMHO,

I thought Keith's explanation was a little excessive but still just stating the case for the business, until I read that paragraph, which I looked at as kinda making fun of his customers frustration even though he seemed to say that he believed Alex really honestly felt that the damage happened at the shop. Whether it did or not is immaterial.  I found his making fun of Alex's frustration insightful (to me) about his feelings towards at least one frustrated customer. Not even saying his feelings were unwarranted but putting them on the forum left me with a different opinion than if he hadn't.

And I commented on it.

Afgvegas

• Sand Dab
  • =Live Life= 1God, Get Rich,Travel,Buy a" Hobie Ti"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Here's my trailer

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Here's my trailer
I can guarantee you that someone didn't back into it on the trailer unless they have some kind of magic shield that let them pass through the "amas" or "akas" (my redneck azz can't remember which is which) without damaging them and then mysteriously hit the hull. 

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Looks like someone tried to man handle it by themselves and didn't have the strength or grip to do it. I actually have similar scratches on my kayak from just that.

fishtacoz88

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Reminds me of the time I took my truck into the dealer for some maintenance and it was returned with a fat gash on the side. The manager tried assuring me that that a touch-up pen will cover the gash which is total bulsh*t. After minutes of fighting, I straight up told him either he fixes it now or my insurance is going to fix it and bill you the charges, and I am never taking my car in for service again.... All fighting ceased and they spent a day fixing the scratch. I never came back though.

Paying MSRP for a less then perfect kayak is  tragic, I hope you get a new one! Owners response was not classy.

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Looks like someone tried to man handle it by themselves and didn't have the strength or grip to do it. I actually have similar scratches on my kayak from just that.
     I wouldn't take it out on the water,, it could be dangerous..   LOL>..

OK,,, so Kieth's has not got a politicians way of  soothing the pain.     I could understand his frustration with having to deal with all this..  especially after offering to fix it for free !   
 Fishtacoz got his truck fixed.    He didn't demand a new truck...

It sounds like everyone here is convinced the damage was done by CCK.      I would think if that were the case, they would have owned up to it.   If not "guilty" then why should CCK have to pay for a new hull?   Especially for something that in reality is superficial.     Afvegas says... the boat isn't safe..   I disagree (I have 8 years experience in roto-molded products),  evidently so does the shop that handles these  type of repairs all the time, for years now...   

The time to look over your vehicle is when you pick it up or accept delivery.... not several days later.
 It's unfortunate,,,  I'm  sorry your kayak got scratched.

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

OK,,, so Kieth's has not got a politicians way of  soothing the pain.     I could understand his frustration with having to deal with all this..  especially after offering to fix it for free !   

It sounds like everyone here is convinced the damage was done by CCK.      I would think if that were the case, they would have owned up to it.   If not "guilty" then why should CCK have to pay for a new hull?   Especially for something that in reality is superficial.     Afvegas says... the boat isn't safe..   I disagree (I have 8 years experience in roto-molded products),  evidently so does the shop that handles these  type of repairs all the time, for years now...   

The time to look over your vehicle is when you pick it up or accept delivery.... not several days later.

I agree with you by and large, but going out of your way to publicly insult people who drop thousands at your business is not a very good strategy for long term success. 
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007

+1  :smt045 :beer3 :salut:
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007

Jim, I fully respect your knowledge on kayaks, boats, plastic and what not.  Your a good guy, and a kayak manufacture to boot.  But I'm inclined to believe the guy that just spent 10K on his new TI, has been making his mods, and getting geared up for the season, and is probably babying the thing like a new car (I know I did, with every kayak I have purchased).  It just doesn't make sense that he would lie about it, since when he brought it back the shop for help with his rudder, wouldn't they have noticed any damage to the kayak and seen it as a possible liability? 

Right here:

I forgot to mention. I did take it back after the sent and AM NOT PiCKING IT BACK UP like that. I documented prior and after  pictures and the emails I have. I went with a friend both times and they are witness to it.

If he went with his friend to drop it off and no one said anything about any damage to the boat at that time, then went to pick it up with the same friend and found all this damage, I find it hard to not believe him. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006

[/quote]

I agree with you by and large, but going out of your way to publicly insult people who drop thousands at your business is not a very good strategy for long term success.
[/quote]

Not taking sides......but this definitely crossed my mind .  Cant say I would be motivated to visit his shop with some of his comments.

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback