Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:06:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:43:02 PM]

[Today at 07:32:12 PM]

[Today at 07:24:10 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: (Some) 10 oz torpedo & ball weights are hollow  (Read 1321 times)

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
   Why would (at least some)  10 oz torpedo and ball weights be hollow?  For trolling, it makes no sense, but even for jigging, I can't think of why.   The only possibility seems to be that it has to be that way in order to manufacture them. And I only sampled a handful.   
    You might be wondering how I found out.  Or not.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
did you actually weigh them to ensure they're 10oz?  i would think it would be kinda cool to put some beads in a hollow weight to make some noise but I don't think that's the reason.

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I didn't weigh them - I have only a IKEA spring kitchen scale, but I'll give it a try.  It did occur to me that maybe they want to make them bigger just to distinguish them from 8's or 12's on the shop shelf, maybe 2 oz wouldn't make them mush bigger or smaller - someone could do the math, easier for the balls, I'd guess.  But why would makers go to that effort, and besides, they mold a number into them anyway.

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
The hollow internal cavity in these lead weights  has been shown to set up a sympathetic resonance with the fish swim bladder which causes the fish to evacuate themselves immediately. They are then very hungry and thus compelled to bite me. :smt002

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Well, the IKEA $5. scale says the 10 oz's actually weigh 11 oz.  On the ones I know are hollow, same result after subtracting for the foot of clothes-hanger wire.   Which should give you a clue how this all got started.   

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... same result after subtracting for the foot of clothes-hanger wire.   Which should give you a clue how this all got started.

Now I'm intrigued...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
... same result after subtracting for the foot of clothes-hanger wire.   Which should give you a clue how this all got started.

Now I'm intrigued...
Me too lol.  Did the wire form pull out, reavealing the cavity stuffed with the foot of wire?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Well, the IKEA $5. scale says the 10 oz's actually weigh 11 oz.  On the ones I know are hollow, same result after subtracting for the foot of clothes-hanger wire.   Which should give you a clue how this all got started.
You were trying to give the weights an abortion? 

-bmb
DICC

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nope, just watched a You Tube vids and said "I could make that."  Coat hanger wire and super glue.  And also that other thing he attached to the end of his line is just stuff I had in my heap and just needed to knot together.  Just didn't have the same results. But I wasn't in the same area he was fishing.  Let me know if this link doesn't work:

Twopatch

• Salmon
  • I like my tea,in the harbor
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
For what it's worth. When who ever was pouring the weights,had  contaminated lead. It probably had Zink in it. Or the other thing that could have been the problem. Was a cold mold.or not enough temperature.
We have the government, that our forefathers warned us about.

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
For what it's worth. When who ever was pouring the weights,had  contaminated lead. It probably had Zink in it. Or the other thing that could have been the problem. Was a cold mold.or not enough temperature.
[/quote
Agreed! I would also drop them on a scale. I'm sure they will not be the correct weight. The molds are made to be filled solid for what ever OZ. you pour. Who ever made those used didnt do it right.
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
 When I get random pot metals or zinc I haven’t been able to get the temps high enough to melt them, they usually stay in solid form and I gotta scoop em out whole, this has been the case with smelting dove weights, it’s a pain in the ass cause they’re usually 5 or 10 lbs and you’re fishing them out of 20lbs of molten lead.

With a cold mold, the unfilled cavities are usually around or upstream of the sprue or around the edge somewhere.  I normally fill the mold with a couple lead pours (no wire form) just to heat it up, usually the cavity doesn’t fully fill, you just get a half poured casting, not  a casting with a hollow cavity.   

I don’t see how either of the above create a hollow cavity within the casting. They’d be obviously bad just looking at em.  Only way I can see it happening is if someone put a steel capsule in the mold.  This thread still doesn’t make sense. 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Twopatch

• Salmon
  • I like my tea,in the harbor
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
I have had this happen to me before. Always with unknown lead.  I can usually make it work by adding tin and turning up the heat. When this happens,this lead gets turned in 40 oz salmon balls.
We have the government, that our forefathers warned us about.

anything