Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:48:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:48:40 PM]

[Today at 01:47:49 PM]

[Today at 12:26:39 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: MBK DERBY RESULTS 08.26.07  (Read 6424 times)

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
I was there with my family and have a chance to meet Joel ( Mooch ), Adam ( Fish Hunter ) and Sandman I forgot his name also Insiene...It's my pleasure meeting you guys out there....
The pleasure was all mine RK....and i'll see you at BAMIII! right?
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

starlifter

• Salmon
  • grin and bear it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Thanks Allen and the MBK crew for setting up a great event.  Great vibes from everyone I met.  This was actually the first time I took the scupper in the ocean to catch fish.  I caught a bunch of rockfish by the kelp beds in 30 ft and released them all except for a black one that's over 14 in. hoping to get a bigger one.  Just being out there on the water was awesome :metal.  Lots of wildlife swimming around...harbor seals lounging on the kelp beds, sea otters, huge jellyfish, constant beeping on my ff because of "fish alert" ( I turned it off after a few seconds ).  Oh by the way, thanks ChuckE for borrowing my water bottle to put water in your transducer or I would've never figured out why my ff is not working :smt102

Willie

Ben

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Thanks again to Allen, MBK and Ocean Kayaks. Also, congratulations to the winners! This definitely turned out to be a great event and for a great cause :thumbsup: Had a great time and enjoyed meeting more of our NCKA group: Ben/guitarzan, Jonesy and his wife, ChuckE, Pat/seabreze, Kim/prowlinorcal, and many others.
I too spent the first couple of hours trying for halibut. Trolled in shallow water about 25' from MBK to the beach hotel with no luck. Paddled out towards the yellow buoy and caught several rock fish. Mostly blues, and coppers. kept half dozen for dinner and headed back to MBK. Weather and water conditions were perfect. Lots of baitfish and activity on the water. Didn't catch the big one but really enjoyed this day. Great turn out, friendly people, SCAllen grinning from ear to ear :smt003. Looking forward to the next event.

Thanks again,
Ben

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Congrats to the winners. I guessed that a hali would win but couldn't make the party. As far as the PFD, I always wear one on the ocean, what others do is up to them. I wear a helmet in the surf zone also which most do not. People have to make their own decisions. As far as the litigation concerns, probably not very likely with this group but I could be wrong. :smt003

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
As far as the litigation concerns, probably not very likely with this group but I could be wrong.

....some of you may not know this, but once you have an NCKA sticker attached to your car, truck, kayak, paddle, trailer or even on your tackle box...you loose your right to sue NCKA FOR ANYTHING. And if you are the "suing type".....I would personally like to meet you..... maybe the two of us can paddle around Ano Nuevo around November / December......and don't worry, I'll bring a special PFD that you can use.....it's a little on the heavy side, but trust me, the lanyard on your PFD with a brick attached to the end of it.... will help you in the end  :smt077

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
SO Mooch,

When I fell out of my yak at Loch Lomand could I blame that on you?!!!1 :smt001 It was my own fault and I know it. It was good practice reentering though. Did it twice!!! Not just to make sure, but I was dumb enough to fall outr a second time :smt001 :smt001 :smt001. Hey I always where my PFD cuz I sink like a rock! I'll go out with you to Ano Nuevo and show ya!!! :smt003
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
When I fell out of my yak at Loch Lomand could I blame that on you?!!

Brother, SOT Kayaks are not meant to flip....99% of the time, a kayak get's flipped because of user error  :smt003 Unless you happen to fall on the 1% category....Dan, being a good example...getting hit by a GW   :smt009...then you earn a hall pass  :smt002

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
congrats to the winners as well as all the participants.  Doctors orders kept me away this year but next time Im in!

if by some chance I manage to kill myself during a NCKA event, please tell my grieving wife and children that I will haunt them for the rest of their mortal lives if they sue!

... if you are the "suing type".....I would personally like to meet you..... maybe the two of us can paddle around Ano Nuevo around November / December......

dont forget the seal skin suit and chum bucket :smt077
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Let's move the waiver talk to this thread - http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,9711.msg86485/boardseen.html#new

I moved all the post from this thread there.

Rob

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks to Alan and MBK for a great event.  Congratulations to the winners!  I spent some time in the kelp beds near the aquarium, caught and released a few blacks and blues but nothing for the weigh in.   Fishunter, I was the one next to you when you got hit hard and it took you into the kelp. Then I spent some time later in the morning near MBK drifting for halibut for nada. 
I forgot to ask on Sunday but was anyone giving out NCKA stickers?
Rob

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Nice work on the Derby... looks like it was a nice day on the water and another great event.  Congrats to the winners and almost winners.  Reading the report really got me looking forward to BAMIII. 
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I forgot to ask on Sunday but was anyone giving out NCKA stickers?

I had some on me. Next time you see a handsome dude on a yellow kayak wearing a green hat...paddle by and he'll hook you up :smt002

Apparently, there were several people I met at the MBK parkling lot that did not know about the Derby...or even about NCKA...I gave 'em stickers....hopefully they chime in...nice folks.

Speaking of which.....Bill, I need more stickers to give out.

Ben

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007

Next time you see a handsome dude on a yellow kayak wearing a green hat...paddle by and he'll hook you up :smt002

Hey Mooch,

Thanks for the compliment  :smt007.....Bill, I need some stickers to give out. Thanks - Ben  :smt044 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 05:21:10 PM by Ben »

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
What a blast! Pre fished with Joel the first day to nada for me and a small but for Mooch, we saw a sea lion tormenting us with a 'but. Flipping it over his head and smiling. Jonesy came out for a bit. Back at raccoon camp, I got proof of Mooch's filleting skills. Ben, his wife, and his son Joel came by in a bad ass '43 Jeep, custom fitted for ranch hunting and running like a top. Man toys.
I got on the water after the start, landed 2 just-under lings, released a 14 inch calico so I could still use 3 rods... caught a small rock and went with 1 rod and him on the end till I lost it all to a snag, went back with 3... damn. Would defintely go again and thanks to all who put it on and great to meet new folks!
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Sin Coast, re-cropped.
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong