Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:28:43 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stillwater Cove rockies 10/14  (Read 1351 times)

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Jeff and I launched into a mild shore-dump around 9AM. There was a spearfisherman getting rigged up beside us. Nice guy. Otherwise, no other anglers in sight. Well, with the exception of a 20+foot cabin cruiser that was fishing very close (if not inside) the Pinnacles SMR.

This was actually the first time I've launched at Stillwater. Jeff's first time too. And possibly his last because he's moving to San Diego in a few weeks…lucky SOB! I originally wanted to hookup with DrHabanero in Big Sur (either Limekiln or Mill Ck) but it was Jeff's call where to fish, and we had a few drinks Sat night so it was tough to get motivated on Sunday morning.

As we paddled out of the cove I noticed the water clarity was crappy. Very murky and kinda gross. I have heard stories from divers that the water inside Stillwater cove is nasty, and I tend to agree. It seems like the currents/winds cause junk to accumulate inside there. On the bright side, the temp inside the cove was very warm…which makes me think it might be attractive to exotic species like calico bass and sheepshead. I have also heard lots of stories about sharks inside the cove because they are scavenging the junk that swirls into the cove. Once outside the cove, water clarity increased.

The cove itself is very shallow. We didn't stop to fish until we were outside of it. We then paddled toward the Tower House, stopping to fish every quarter-mile or so. At first, we were just potholing inside the kelp. But we decided to paddle out beyond the kelp line and look for structure. This lead us towards the Pinnacles SMR, where a number of commercial dive boats were anchored. Fortunately, I had marked the boundaries of the SMR in my GPS. Otherwise, it would be somewhat difficult to circumnavigate this rectangular Reserve.

It was fun exploring new water. The structure around there is varied and dynamic. Different types of rocks than I am used to fishing in the southern part of Carmel Bay. The southern part of the Bay, towards Monastery+Pt Lobos, is dominated by granite formations. Whereas, the shoreline near Cypress Pt is more like a bunch of huge boulders stacked on top of each other. With the addition of some sandstone-like formations. Very cool, and I see why it would be a neat dive spot.
The swell was mellow and the wind wasn't too bad. Mellow enough that I probably didn't need to take dramamine. But I did anyways. I almost ALWAYS take some dramamine before paddling the ocean now. I do not want to get sick in my kayak ever again…I got seasick last year and gave whole new meaning to the term "Yak Fishing." It was awful.

The total number of fish caught wasn't very high. I only caught about 10-12 keeper-sized rockfish. Lots of small blues and olives. The blues were literally jumping out of the water inside the kelp. I only kept one fish, a 19 inch vermillion. But Jeff did manage to land his first keeper ling in a long time. He also got a big copper and about 10 other random rockfish (only kept the ling+big copper).

Hot lures: 2oz kastmaster tipped w/squid accounted for Jeff's ling and a few rockies. The majority of his fish came on a shrimpfly above his main lure. I scored on a 6" white Scampi, a 3.5oz Megabait, a 2.25oz Kroc, 6" Kalins Magumbo grub in glow color, and of course the shrimpfly. However, my nice vermy came on a somewhat-homemade jig. It was a plastic squid body on a 2oz hand-painted leadhead with a small glowstick inserted. I got the squids at Sports Authority with the intention of using them for halibut because they are deisgned to be rigged inline, maybe for trolling. The micro glow sticks were from the dollar store, and they're about 1.5 inches long. I think they're meant to be placed in your mouth when you're at a rave. [cue the classic techno-rave beat UNST UNST UNST UNST] At least, that’s what the picture on the box showed LOL! But I definitely plan to use them more often by inserting them inside plastic grubs, scampis, and swimbaits.
The red fought really hard, especially on my ultralight spinning setup. I thought it was gonna be a huge ling…but I was still excited to see a big red come up to the surface.

And, unlike my last 3 or 4 Fishing Reports, this time I have pics! Jeff had his digi so we snapped a few pics. I also took one with my phone before I filletted the red. Plus, I took my disposable waterproof camera to Walgreens to develop the film yesterday. So I'll have even MORE pics to post tonight!
See ya,
PK

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 11:08:38 AM by Sin Coast »
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Yeah, sure...you guys get to rockfish still. Blah, blah, blah....

Way to rub it in.  :smt011

LOL. Great report and pics, but I'm still hatin'...

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Fish Flogger

• Wishin' I was Fishin'
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
I'm definitely jealous. I had a wedding to attend on Sunday and had to help with the planning on Saturday so no fishing for me last weekend. Glad you guys got into some decent fish. Looks like the forecast for the coming weekend is going to suck rocks  :smt011 Looks like I'm going inland...

FF
-FF

• Big Sur glass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Hey PK, Looks like all the RF glory belongs to you and Fuzzy Tom these days. What a nice detailed report, appreciate all your efforts to provide the intel (as usual). And the pics!
Your friend Jeff looks like he is ready for San Diego with just board shorts, brrrr! Although, come January San Diego can be cold too, I can remember more than once walking across frozen sand to surf the pier at Ocean Beach (well, maybe not more than a couple of times).
Steve
We are all worms but I do believe that I am a glow worm. Slowmo- qoute by Winston Churchill.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
Ya, Jeff was wearing board shorts+a PFD. I offered to let him borrow some waders or a wetsuit...thats just how he rolls.  :smt044

Another thing I just noticed: check out my new "floating net." I slid a section of pool noodle up the handle of my net, and now it floats!!!

PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2006
Dang PK

That almost looks like lake Vassona! I could do that!   :smt005

Nice fish!

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
I finally developed the film in my disposable H2O proof camera that was in my tackle box for months. Here are a few pics.
PK

Jeff w/fish

Me w/red

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:27:53 PM by Sin Coast »
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls