Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:16:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:00:32 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: MBK DERBY RESULTS 08.26.07  (Read 6428 times)

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Wow...what a fun day!

54 anglers competed in the 1st Annual MBK/OK Derby this morning.  The turnout was fantastic, 6 pre-registered anglers did not make the derby, but 2 of them showed up later for the BBQ, Eric/GTO and Brian G. 

The morning was smooth with everyone signing a waiver and around 12 people registering before 6:45.

When the weigh-in was through at noon, the winner emerged.

Dave Yeargin from Prunedale brought in a beautiful 13-pound halibut he caught using squid on a trap rig, fishing just outside the moorage area in front of MBK.

"My strategy was to not paddle very far," Dave deadpanned.

The runners up were all lings. 

Our own Chuck Espiritu took second place with a 7-pound lingcad, and James Story captured 3d with a 6.5 pound ling. 

Pat Grant caught an almost identical 6.5-pound lingcod, but lost in the tape-measure-off to break the tie.  James' fish was 27 7/8 and Pat's only 27 1/2...

(I always wanted to nickname her "1/2 inch Pat," due to a Salmon story from years ago, mayhaps we can call her 1/8 inch Pat now?)

It's been a long day, so this post will be short.  I will post pictures of the winning fishies tomorrow, when I receive them.  For now, here's a few shots of the day's activities.

#1 Getting Ready
#2 Morning Lineup
#3 Launched and on their way

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:20:16 AM by Mooch »

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
 :smt010, I'm so sorry Pat!!!! Just out of the $$$$  Getting close though :smt002

Sounds like a good time, Awesome water conditions you all had ...

Congrats to all participants and winners and Scallen for a Great Event :smt006 ...... Danglin
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 09:59:50 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

• Big Sur glass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
So, here I am changing my alarm from 4:10am to 5:30am, thinking fishing sure make a work day seem like a sleep in day!
 What a great day on the water: easy paddling all morning, so many fishing yaks, plenty of fun fish (just not any big ones for me), friendly people, and another day well spent with my son. Noon came too quickly.
Thanks to Allen, MBK, and everyone else that had a part!!!
A great day to be me,
Rocketman

I was there when Allen measured Pat's fish and told her see lost by 1/8" and response was pure class... big smile, and something like "that's ok"  I would have at least said "oh darn."
We are all worms but I do believe that I am a glow worm. Slowmo- qoute by Winston Churchill.

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Congrats to the winners.  That would have to include SCAllen for making this thing happen.  Aaron was a constant source of good chear and so was Tara.  Thanks to MBK for bringing this opportunity together.

I was sooooooooooooo excited when I hooked that ling.  I knew the fishing had been slow.  I myself had a 1/2 inch underling just minutes before my "coulda been a contenda" ling.  I got them both slow trolling live mackeral (could have been shad based on a previous post).  The live bait was the best I've ever encountered.  When the bigger fish hit I yelled to Randy that I had a REAL fish.  He dove twice but, despite shaking with excitement, I was ready for the gentle topside scoop to not spook him.  IT WORKED.  He was in the net before he knew he was at the surface.  By the way, the net was the one Mooch gave me a year ago when I got that nice halibut off of Otter's and was prolonging the rodeo ridiculously trying to grab him with my little net.  It was cool to be on the winner's board if only for a few minutes........ :smt003

But, perhaps the best part of the day was seeing my first game fish while freediving.  BrianG and I hauled our gear on after the measure off and headed back to the water.  Following the intel from the morning's fishing, we paralleled the beach and there it was.  A nice, maybe legal halibut.  Looked super.  I also saw a ray with very round wings and swam with a school of baitfish.  A full and happy day with the nicest bunch of folks we know.
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

Aaron

• Salmon
  • Love and respect the great blue world.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Thanks to Allen and everyone who came out and made the derby such a fun and successful event.The weather couldn't have been any better and the vibe was great!I was genuinely surprised at the quality of the stringers I saw come in, although I still think there are bigger 'buts out there that may have broken off or thrown the hook  :smt002 Congrats to the winners and to Pat for her nice ling.Pat you are a true sportswoman and a class act.See you on the water!I'm off to Limekiln for a four day fish slaying!
Manager Monterey Bay Kayaks Moss Landing
ACA Certified Instructor,Kayak Tour Guide

Big J

• Janice
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Congratulations to all, especially Pat! Wish I could have been there to take pix of you and your ling--I'm hoping someone did. And, scallen, kudos for all your hard work with MBK to make this event happen. Same time next year? In the meantime, I'm eager to read more posts about NCKA camping, antics, fishing/catching, eating, etc. Keep 'em coming!

Janice aka "Big J"
2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Freshwater Derby Champion, Women's Division

Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Thanks to Allen and the OK crew and to Aaron and MBK for putting on an excellent derby at the sweetest location.  It was like a lake out there.  I'm glad I went.  This was my first time out there, so I counting on a little bit of beginner's luck.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Had a blast - as usual  :kick Never a dull moment hooking up with fellow NCKA'ers  :smt002
Want to congratulate the winners and those who made the effort to support "the cause" :smt023 (Trout and Salmon Restoration Project). Many thanks to Allen Bushnell, Mike Mowrey and Adam of Ocean Kayaks! Good job on the BBQ Adam  :smt023

It was a pleasure meeting more NCKA'ers - Kim, Patrick,Kiel....I tend to forget names, i'm sorry if I did not mention yours  :smt011

Slow day for me as I concentrated my efforts towards catching a legal halibut. I slow trolled the shoreline of MBK (with hardwear) towards the Hotel and picked up one undersize halibut. I tried a little deeper and hooked a few smaller RF (released). I paddled towards the tip of the pier and witnessed a gentleman hook up a big Hali...unfortunately, it broke him off :smt011

here are some pics....

pic1: This guy had a big halibut on and it towed him as he was side saddling his yak  :smt118 Unfortunately, the Halibut won the battle....

pic2: The winner of the day!!!  :metal
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:32:35 PM by Mooch »

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
pic1: Alex / aliens with his stringer of the day

pic2: "Huli Ka!!!"

pic3: My little Butt  :redmoon

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
We don't babysit people Sky. Especially since they are adults...

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
thanks to scallen and MBK for puttin it on!  
it was fun and GLASSEY conditiond made it easy.
I got a gopher, afew taps that i pulled away from (damn pests). I went straight to the "forbiden zone" in front of the aquarium. I was on a fricken Cabbie hunt in the kelp/rocks(never to be found) and was droppin down a octopus tipped, "Bill's custom-Cabbie-tickler" curlytail swimmer at the ends of the kelpbeds when it got slammed HARD and took it right back into the kelp from which it came!..and then a SNAG!...AARRGGHHHHH!  tried to hunt the thing down in that area for another couple of hrs. then paddled back to MBK knowing i coulda, woulda and shoulda had the drag tightened down(more).
SWEET conditions and fishin with people that want to fish is what I'm in this "mad sport" for.
See ya at the next hunt.....
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I knew you have to have a PDF on your kayak.

PDF's are for computers.. :smt044

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I had a great time guys!

Big Thanks to Allen and MBK and Ocean Kayaks!!! It was a great event.

I spent the first two hours trying for a halibut. I trolled down the beach to the hotel but only had a couple small bites. Really thought my special rig would work. I removed the treble from a 4oz megabait and used it like an inline sinker. Then had a 2 foot leader connected to it with a double-hook setup. I strung up a big fat sardine on the hooks. And even slid a 4 inch tsunami squid up the line, above my hooks for added attraction. Maybe it was too much.
After breaking my line a few times while trolling for halibut, I decided to cut across the bay towards the reef I fished last wknd. Unfortunately, my GPS was low on batteries. So I just fished in the general area. At one point I thought I had a monster fish on…turned out to be a double hookup of twin 23 inch lings! D'OH!!!
Ended the day catching about 15 rockfish. Mostly small blues, olives, and coppers. Kept a fat blue and a 19 inch red. The 3.25oz krocadile was the hot lure again. Tipped with squid of course.

Like I said, I had an awesome time! Thanks everybody. Looking forward to the next event!
PK
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 05:27:23 PM by Sin Coast »
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Sorry I could not join you guys out there in my home water but I had prior plans.  It looks like a great time was had by all.  Congratulations to the winners and to Pat.  Man that was close.  I hope to be able to make it next year.  Drop me a PM is you come down here for fishing again and want company.
Etienne

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I was there with my family and have a chance to meet Joel ( Mooch ), Adam ( Fish Hunter ) and Sandman I forgot his name also Insiene...It's my pleasure meeting you guys out there....maybe next time I will join this tourney....My Big Congratulation to the winner..
1st Place ARW Handline Tournament 2024
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.