Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:08:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:51:53 AM]

[Today at 10:49:39 AM]

[Today at 10:15:09 AM]

[Today at 07:23:39 AM]

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: First Kayak; Thoughts, Suggestioms, Recommendations  (Read 4394 times)

Solwazi007

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
Ay everybody,
I'm looking to buy my first fishing kayak so I thought I'd come here for some insight.
I definitely want a pedal drive and i'm looking for something between 1500 and 1700.
I'm 6'2 so i will probably stay away from the 10 footers.
A few yaks on my radar are the hobie passport 12 and the pelican catch 130 hd. I mainly fish freshwater for bass and knowing me and the shallow fishing i like to do i'll be in and around grass so it seems like the drive systems with fins would be the best bet in that situation.
Anyone who's had either of these kayaks i'd love to hear your thoughts, or if you have any suggestions of yaks in that price range im all ears.

ALSO, if you have any suggestions for affordable car top racks that i can install on my sedan that would be great.

Appreciate the help,
Tight Lines

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I think the Hobie Outback will fit your need.  For the budget of 15k - 17k, you should be able to get a fairly newer model but not a brand new one.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
The Hobie Passport isn’t fish ready, so expect to do a bit of setup. 
The Hobie Compass is also an option.  I’ve seen a few taller guys with these in the Bay without issues. 

The Pelican HD price is enticing.  I’ve only ever seen one in person and he had an issue with the drive system breaking.  Warranty covered it and he got a new one for free.  But was frustrating when it broke while in the water. 

Used 2015-2018 Outbacks are possible too.  Some are already setup with FFs and accessories.  Saving you hundreds in dollars and time. 

Solwazi007

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
The Hobie Passport isn’t fish ready, so expect to do a bit of setup. 
The Hobie Compass is also an option.  I’ve seen a few taller guys with these in the Bay without issues. 

The Pelican HD price is enticing.  I’ve only ever seen one in person and he had an issue with the drive system breaking.  Warranty covered it and he got a new one for free.  But was frustrating when it broke while in the water. 

Used 2015-2018 Outbacks are possible too.  Some are already setup with FFs and accessories.  Saving you hundreds in dollars and time.

Where would you recommend i look for used yaks? And whats some things i should look for/check on before i buy one off someone?

Solwazi007

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I think the Hobie Outback will fit your need.  For the budget of 15k - 17k, you should be able to get a fairly newer model but not a brand new one.

Any recommendations on where to look for these?

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile

When you got 10 posts then you can check out the Classifieds thread below.  Lots of great deals from time to time...

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?board=10.0
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace...

Look for scuffs and scratches on the bottom.  Check for cracks around the scupper holes.
How the kayak is stored, also shows how well the kayak was cared for.  If its dirty and left on the ground, then it likely wasn't cared for and dragged around all over.  Garage stored, covered, rinsed and washed after usage is good.  Id pay extra money for a used kayak that was well used but also well cared for.

Solwazi007

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

When you got 10 posts then you can check out the Classifieds thread below.  Lots of great deals from time to time...

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?board=10.0

Will definitely keep my eyes on that, lookout for some deals.
Would love to buy from a fellow norcal angler

Solwazi007

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace...

Look for scuffs and scratches on the bottom.  Check for cracks around the scupper holes.
How the kayak is stored, also shows how well the kayak was cared for.  If its dirty and left on the ground, then it likely wasn't cared for and dragged around all over.  Garage stored, covered, rinsed and washed after usage is good.  Id pay extra money for a used kayak that was well used but also well cared for.

Thanks for the tips, hoping i can join the club soon, get out there and slay some fish!

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Find a used 2018 Hobie outback.
2018 Hobie outback camo
Equinox angler 12 ft
Yes I am a plumber (Hardy's plumbing)
Nic G's catch tackle pro staff

Solwazi007

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Find a used 2018 Hobie outback.

I'm definitely looking.
That would be ideal
Hobie seems like it sets the standard

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
You can find deals on used Hobies on craigslist & the classified section here. They upgraded the seats in 2015. Those are generally more expensive, but there’s nothing wrong with the oldschool seat for the Revo in my opinion (not as comfortable but maybe better performance due to the lower COG and direct contact with the yak hull).

It’s interesting to see manufacturers develop their own pedal drives. And I’ve noticed some look exactly like the mirage drive. I’m definitely vibing on the new Vibe pedal drive kayaks because they seem like solid seaworthy kayak with super-comfy seats that cost less AND they work with the Hobie mirage drive. They use a knockoff-style mirage drive. As a current Hobie owner, it would be cool to buy a new yak that paddles really well and accepts my mirage drive. The new Sheerwater looks like a winner.
https://vibekayaks.com/products/vibe-shearwater-125
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Marintacoma

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
You can find deals on used Hobies on craigslist & the classified section here. They upgraded the seats in 2015. Those are generally more expensive, but there’s nothing wrong with the oldschool seat for the Revo in my opinion (not as comfortable but maybe better performance due to the lower COG and direct contact with the yak hull).

It’s interesting to see manufacturers develop their own pedal drives. And I’ve noticed some look exactly like the mirage drive. I’m definitely vibing on the new Vibe pedal drive kayaks because they seem like solid seaworthy kayak with super-comfy seats that cost less AND they work with the Hobie mirage drive. They use a knockoff-style mirage drive. As a current Hobie owner, it would be cool to buy a new yak that paddles really well and accepts my mirage drive. The new Sheerwater looks like a winner.
https://vibekayaks.com/products/vibe-shearwater-125

Hey Sin!

Where did you see that that would accept a Mirage Drive?

Thanks,
MT
2019 Hobie Outback

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
If you click on the pod option you get the following:

“Optional Vibe X-Drive Pod allows you to quick-drop & go your Vibe X-Drive pedal drive or 3rd party flipper-based foot pedal drives. Lightweight premium power at your beck & call.”
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
The Vibe X Drive looks "very similar' to the Mirrage Drive  :smt002

anything