Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:29:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:06:38 AM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ocean Kayak Prowler 13T  (Read 3328 times)

kshang

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2019
Picked up a Prowler 13T recently.  Since it's a discontinued model, there's not much information on it.  It looks very much like a Trident 13, which makes me wonder if it's a predecessor to Trident ("T" stands for Trident?), since Trident came out later (I think, but please let me know if this is not correct).  Here's some pictures of the kayak: https://www.rei.com/product/817738/ocean-kayak-prowler-13t-angler-sit-on-top-kayak, and I cannot tell the difference from a Trident just by looking at it--maybe because I'm new to the sports, and there may be telling details obvious to more experienced members on this board?

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
If you email Ocean Kayak with the hull number stamped on the starboard rear section, they can tell you what year it is, etc. if that is what you are seeking.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
During this time, the prowler was in a transition to the trident.
The trident had a scupper designed to accommodate a through hull transducer, skid plate and new rod pod center hatch along with a battery bag inside the bow. These features were not installed on the original prowlers.
Hobie Outback (dune)

kshang

• Sardine
  • View Profile
If you email Ocean Kayak with the hull number stamped on the starboard rear section, they can tell you what year it is, etc. if that is what you are seeking.

The serial number ends with "12," so I believe it's a 2012 model, though it was only lightly used so is in very good condition.  I would think the key specs should be fairly similar between a prowler and a trident, but my question was more out of curiosity.   :smt001

kshang

• Sardine
  • View Profile
The trident had a scupper designed to accommodate a through hull transducer, skid plate and new rod pod center hatch along with a battery bag inside the bow. These features were not installed on the original prowlers.

That's probably right, because I have all these features on it I think. 

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

That's probably right, because I have all these features on it I think.

If your model matches the photo on the link you posted, you do.
Joel ><>

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005

My "trident" looks exactly like the one in the pic, had the thru hull scupper, old style center hatch, (as pictured), battery bag, AND on the Decal, large letters PROWLER, and a smaller Trident 13. By the time I got mine they were just referred to as Tridents.

Not sure what Eric means by "skid plate" unless it's the flat wide area on the stern keel.

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007

My "trident" looks exactly like the one in the pic, had the thru hull scupper, old style center hatch, (as pictured), battery bag, AND on the Decal, large letters PROWLER, and a smaller Trident 13. By the time I got mine they were just referred to as Tridents.

Not sure what Eric means by "skid plate" unless it's the flat wide area on the stern keel.

One of the key features of the early Tridents was the replaceable black skid plate on the bottom rear keel.
Hobie Outback (dune)

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005

One of the key features of the early Tridents was the replaceable black skid plate on the bottom rear keel.

That would be nice but mine doesn't have one, Looks pretty easy to add and I've thought about it but never done it. So kshang if you don't have that I'd suggest adding it.  (even tho I haven't)

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
According to the link he posted and the product description there, it has the skid plate, bonus!
Joel ><>

kshang

• Sardine
  • View Profile

That would be nice but mine doesn't have one, Looks pretty easy to add and I've thought about it but never done it. So kshang if you don't have that I'd suggest adding it.  (even tho I haven't)

Yeah, I think mine actually does have one, about three inches long by one inch wide hard rubber/plastic affixed to the rear bottom of the hull by two screws.  I've also seen models which have a wheel embedded in the skid pad, but this should also be helpful. 

anything