Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:30:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie or Old Town or...  (Read 6825 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Well I couldn't wait until January, pulled the trigger on a 2019 Hobie Outback today. I got a very good deal. One of the hardest decisions I've ever made cause I sure liked the Old Town too. I pick it up next Saturday and will be on the water somewhere by Monday...lol  Thank you all for the input.  I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have a flood of questions in the months to come.

You won't regret it. See you on the water...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

dogfish30

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Ended up going to Camanche to meet up with a buddy for the first trip. No sonar so I was fishing blind and got nothing. But I did enjoy my ride. There's few things I need to address to make the trips easier but nothing major except maybe the new PFD. The one I have have has too much padding in the back and is very hot. Sonar was delivered while I was out yesterday, naturally, so now I'm planning the next trip. Think I'm going to do a couple more lake trips before I take it out in any tidal waters but I'm looking forward to hittin Montezuma Slough in November. I figured out the pics....Bill
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 10:11:39 AM by dogfish30 »
2019 Hobie Outback
Nothin left to do but smile smile smile...

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Right on Bill, looking good!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Looks pretty.  Enjoy it :smt006
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
That kayak wants to be seen! thanks for the pic. glad you found a good fit!
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

dogfish30

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks everyone. I'm loving it so far for sure. I got another question. If any of you transport your yak in the back of a pick up, as I do, do you take the seat, box, sonar, etc... off while underway? I drug a boat around for 16 years with all that stuff left on with no problems and it would be a few less things to do when I got to the water. Thanks...
2019 Hobie Outback

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
do you keep it upright? I wouldn't see a problem with it if everything is secured down, I would maybe bungie the seat so it doesn't flap up.

when I transported in the truck bed before I got the Camper top I took all that off cause it was a brand new ( to me ) kayak and I didn't want anything to break! lol.

If I still transported in my truck bed with one of those lumber rack extender thingies I would def transport with seat and rod holder on, battery in the hull, tackle in the center hatch and be fine with it.  but I would still be sketch about the FF just cause I don't have a super solid mount for it. flops a tiny bit.
- Shane

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Thanks everyone. I'm loving it so far for sure. I got another question. If any of you transport your yak in the back of a pick up, as I do, do you take the seat, box, sonar, etc... off while underway? I drug a boat around for 16 years with all that stuff left on with no problems and it would be a few less things to do when I got to the water. Thanks...
Your Hobie Vantage seat retails for $528.  I personally would not take any chances.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

dogfish30

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
You got a point there about the seat. I was mainly thinking of my tackle box. It's strapped down good. I think I will take the sonar and seat off.
2019 Hobie Outback

marin_yaker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2019
I would love to hear your feedback when you surf launch your outback. I’m trying to decide between a revo 13 and an outback. I don’t really want to modify a revo. But, I don’t want to be slugging it out against the current and wind either. And I don’t want to struggle through the surf zone unnecessarily.

I was in a kayak on SF bay once and the current/wind was so strong that I could not over come it. Had to drift from the gg bridge to Sausalito, beach the boat downtown and take a Lyft back to my car. Never want that to happen again.

However, I’ve also flipped in Tomales. Was in the water for 20 minutes  and this was before I knew I should be wearing a wetsuit or dry suit. Was shaking like a leaf when I hit the beach..

The stability versus speed factors weigh heavy on my mind.
Ivory Dune Revo 13 2020

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I would love to hear your feedback when you surf launch your outback. I’m trying to decide between a revo 13 and an outback. I don’t really want to modify a revo. But, I don’t want to be slugging it out against the current and wind either. And I don’t want to struggle through the surf zone unnecessarily.

I was in a kayak on SF bay once and the current/wind was so strong that I could not over come it. Had to drift from the gg bridge to Sausalito, beach the boat downtown and take a Lyft back to my car. Never want that to happen again.

However, I’ve also flipped in Tomales. Was in the water for 20 minutes  and this was before I knew I should be wearing a wetsuit or dry suit. Was shaking like a leaf when I hit the beach..

I think you answered your own question.  If speed is most important, then pick the hull that can accommodate speed better.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014

I’ve owned both a newer Revo (2015) and outback (2019). The speed between the two is not very noticeable. The outback actually performs better speed wise when it is loaded down with gear. Empty and cruising I would say the revo is slightly faster.

In the surf the outback launches better, but the revo lands better. When launching the width of the outback keeps it above the waves better than the revo. When landing the outback does not like staying pointed straight. I think that the non storable rudder on it vs the storable rudder on the revo has something to do with it. I flipped my outback on my first 3 landing attempts until I figured out that it didn’t surf like a revo.

For the earlier question about keeping stuff in the kayak. I keep my seat attached, fishfinder, battery, center hatch with gear, and front hatch. I would be careful about keeping too much tackle though. I would worry about the hull having enough support to carry all the extra weight.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I’ve owned both a newer Revo (2015) and outback (2019). The speed between the two is not very noticeable. The outback actually performs better speed wise when it is loaded down with gear. Empty and cruising I would say the revo is slightly faster.

In the surf the outback launches better, but the revo lands better. When launching the width of the outback keeps it above the waves better than the revo. When landing the outback does not like staying pointed straight. I think that the non storable rudder on it vs the storable rudder on the revo has something to do with it. I flipped my outback on my first 3 landing attempts until I figured out that it didn’t surf like a revo.

For the earlier question about keeping stuff in the kayak. I keep my seat attached, fishfinder, battery, center hatch with gear, and front hatch. I would be careful about keeping too much tackle though. I would worry about the hull having enough support to carry all the extra weight.

Thanks for the detailed first hand experience with the two J.

This thread is gold.
- Shane

dogfish30

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I still haven't had a chance to take it to the beach but I keep watching posts here and videos on YouTube to learn more about it. First, I'm not going until I get the wetsuit, and then from what I've seen so far is launching seems to be a little easier then landing. I've seen a couple vids where they actually do surf in. Another where the guy got out and swam behind the yak in. I was reading your post ThreemoneyJ and you said "I flipped my outback on my first 3 landing attempts until I figured out that it didn’t surf like a revo." Other than figuring out that it didn't like to surf, what did you do to get in successfully? I've had mine out now four times but only once where there was current, the delta. I was going to try and hit Anchor Bay for the first beach trip as Duckguy graciously offered to go out too which would be cool. I will try hard to take him up on that. However, Doran may be the first spot. Looks a little easier for learning.

2019 Hobie Outback