Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:55:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Has anybody fished with an Edge Sportboat 15?  (Read 5140 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... I'll be done rigging this weekend.  I'll try to post some pics. 

Cool. Can't wait to see it...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Excellent!

Oh, the other bit of 'rigging' I did was to add ACK's "gone fishin'" seat. Mainly because it's got a pair of rod holders coming off the back, and a couple wings on the side for small plano boxes (included!). It's also got a seat-back-pack for 3 (also included) Plano boxes, but I never use it.

As for getting behind the seat into the cooler, I've got to ride side-saddle to reach it, which is a little awkward at first, but you get used to it quickly.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
Excellent!

Oh, the other bit of 'rigging' I did was to add ACK's "gone fishin'" seat. Mainly because it's got a pair of rod holders coming off the back, and a couple wings on the side for small plano boxes (included!). It's also got a seat-back-pack for 3 (also included) Plano boxes, but I never use it.

As for getting behind the seat into the cooler, I've got to ride side-saddle to reach it, which is a little awkward at first, but you get used to it quickly.

I'll look at the ACK seat.  The seat that was included did semi-permanent damage to my assbones.  However,  I have some unused yak equipment that might work on the Dolphin.  I have a Kerco Angler seat and (from another seat)  a seat backpack that has a storage bag and two rod holders.  I also have (2) deck-mount rod holders.  I'll see if there is space for deck-mounts. 

This weekend I'm planning on final sea trials/rigging.  The testing will include:  sitting side-saddle,  extreme edging,  storage/rod holders/tacklebox,  capsize/recovery drill,  sailing ect.  I might even  try King fishing tomorrow afternoon. 

For a tackle box,  I've mocked-up a plastic food container (11" long,  4" wide, 3" high) on my center console thing (in front of deck hatch).  It's handy,  and it holds all of my ready fishing gear (mooching stuff and jigs).   I've learned to economize on excess gear. 

The last real sea trials will be in the ocean surf next month.  I'm confident that the yak will perform well...it's the paddler that may be the weak link.  I've managed my Trident in the surf,  but it wasn't pretty.   
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

• View Profile
Nice!

Definitely post up some pics when you've got it set up the way you like it.

• View Profile
Oh, as for re-entry, this boat rides so low in the water it's almost trivial to get back in. Pretty much just get your body flat to the water's surface, and your hands on the far side of the boat, then pull the boat underneath you and you're back in.

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Oh, as for re-entry, this boat rides so low in the water it's almost trivial to get back in. Pretty much just get your body flat to the water's surface, and your hands on the far side of the boat, then pull the boat underneath you and you're back in.

I'll give your method a try.  I had a full pancake-capsize in the surf with my Trident.  The practice recovery sessions  came in handy. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Nice!

Definitely post up some pics when you've got it set up the way you like it.
[/quote

Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
That looks like a nice set up. Thanks for sharing.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
That looks like a nice set up. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks.  I spent months scouring the web for a Necky Dolphin 14.  When one was listed, for $300, it was a lucky day.  I've also discovered that yaks are fun to mess with.  On this yak I've added:  fore and aft flotation,  (2) flush mount rod holders,  gear track with Stealth RH,  replacement 6" deck hatch,  FF and battery bag,  and the sail rig.  I'm still sea-testing  these additions,  but all has been going well. 

If I can get some wind this,  I'll be taking a half day off for sailing.  There are videos of yak-fishers sailing this rig in 15-20 knots of wind.  That sounds crazy,  but it might be doable.  The masts flex when hit with gusts,  and with the (2) sheets (sail controls) one can shape the sail to spill wind.  We'll see in the following weeks.
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

• View Profile
Thanks for posting the pics. That's a very elegant setup! Never thought of just going straight over the rear hatch with a crate, that's much more functional that how I've got mine rigged.

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks for posting the pics. That's a very elegant setup! Never thought of just going straight over the rear hatch with a crate, that's much more functional that how I've got mine rigged.

Y/W and thanks.  I trimmed about 3" off the bottom of the crate and re-attached the bottom.  I didn't need the full height of the crate and it's easier to access with shorter sides.  I've had to delay my full on-the-water testing,  electrical short in F 150,  but Tues.  we are scheduled for winds of 15 mph-gusting to 21 mph.  I'm taking off a 1/2 day! 

When I was a kid,  my father loved the movie, "Ben Hur".  His favorite scene wasn't the iconic chariot race.  It was the scene where Charleston Heston was a slave-rower on a Roman war galley..."quarter speed,  half speed....ramming speed".  It always comes to mind when I thrashing about on the water.  White knuckles and wide eyes.
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

anything