Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 05:28:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:19:42 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:11:20 PM]

[Today at 03:25:49 PM]

[Today at 01:30:39 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Has anybody fished with an Edge Sportboat 15?  (Read 5148 times)

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
Presently,  I fishing in the Puget Sound and in the ocean with a Trident 13.  The T13 has been excellent,  but I'm looking for a faster,  better paddling boat.  This Edge Sportboat (SOT, 62 lbs.) is 14'10" long,  27" wide and only 12"  deep.  They are asking for less than $400. 

Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I've discovered that this yak was once called the Marlin by REI.  In fact,  when I found this alt-name an article came up from NCKA in 2007 by ChuckE. 

The yak may also have been called the Crossover 15. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I've not seen one in person, but nearly jumped at a Craigslist posting for one. I recall it looking like it'd be a quick wiggly ride, which I kinda like.

If you get it, let us know how it works for you.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Since I started to look at these yaks,  I've found that there 4 for sale in WA.  One is for sale with a cracked hatch cover for $205.  I'm nervous about the twin-skeg design.  I've never been in a yak with a skeg,  and this yak looks slippery. 

There's also another option.  There's at least one Scupper Pro for sale ($400).  I've read that the Scupper is a fast yak.   
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

• View Profile
Since I started to look at these yaks,  I've found that there 4 for sale in WA.  One is for sale with a cracked hatch cover for $205.  I'm nervous about the twin-skeg design.  I've never been in a yak with a skeg,  and this yak looks slippery. 

There's also another option.  There's at least one Scupper Pro for sale ($400).  I've read that the Scupper is a fast yak.

Skegs are generally your friend if the maker thought they were necessary; on teh wiphe's SInK (dagger charleston), if you don't use it, you simply don't go straight. The sportboat's dual skeg thing is definitely 'unique'. I'd give one of these a spin if you can get the seller to agree to it.

If you're looking for other options, the Necky Dolphin in my signature is a pretty fast boat and quite well made. Primary stability is low (as it often is for fast), but secondary is pretty high, so it fishes OK. Should be somewhat easy to find used, and topkayaker has parts if you need them. They can be found with and without rudders. Unless it's blowing hard I find I don't use the rudder much.

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thus far,  the sellers have not responded,  but we'll see.  I'm a cautious shopper when it comes to yaks because I've had some perilous experiences in the ocean/surf (off Cape Flattery, WA).  I would insist on a trial run.  Being pancaked-flipped in a 4-break surf is unpleasant. 

Your Necky Dolphin is the  exactly the type that I'm looking for.  I've seen a Necky Vector 14 for sale,  but  the price seemed too high for a used yak.  The topkayaker reviews of the Vector were marginal,  but they like your Dolphin.  I'm willing to accept a compromise for initial stability,  if I can get better performance. 

BTW: I've started sea trials with the JNR-1.5m  sail (replica of the Pacific Action rig from topkayaker).  Thus far I'm entirely pleased with the results,  but this rig needs some wind to perform.  On my T13,  in a 5mph breeze,  I was  sailing downwind at 2.3mph.  I've added a removable leeboard and I will be testing the rig  for reaching and tacking soon.  This sail really needs winds speeds of 10+ mph to perform.
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

• View Profile

Your Necky Dolphin is the  exactly the type that I'm looking for.  I've seen a Necky Vector 14 for sale,  but  the price seemed too high for a used yak.  The topkayaker reviews of the Vector were marginal,  but they like your Dolphin.  I'm willing to accept a compromise for initial stability,  if I can get better performance. 

I don't know anything about the Vector other than online stuff, but it looks like it's from after Necky sold to Johnson Outdoor, so perhaps not one of the classic designs. Pricing on the Dolphin should be fairly modest. I've seen rudderless beaters for $100, and minty ruddered ones for ~$700. I think I got mine for around $300 in pretty good shape other than the rudder cables that snapped about a year into owning it (dead simple fix).

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Well, I've read dozens of comments/reviews about the Dolphin and it looks like a yak that I would enjoy.  I'm a fisherman for sure,  but I enjoy paddling and the challenge of rough water. 

I've done a massive search for a Dolphin using several methods/sites but there is nothing in my area.  There are plenty in Cali and TX,  but nothing from WA to Portland, OR and points south.  I'll keep searching,  maybe something will turn up. 

I appreciate your good advice.  I'll let you know when I find something.  Thanks, kaz.
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

• View Profile
Fingers crossed for you!

Odd that they're more common here than they are closer to where they were made.

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Fingers crossed for you!

Odd that they're more common here than they are closer to where they were made.

I have found a Necky Dolphin,  and been out fishing (in Puget Sound)!   It's a yak from CA that was dumped on a retired couple (by their son) near Seattle.  The Dolphin came with a seat,  a decent glass paddle by Werner,  and a rudder...all for $300 and in great shape! 

The yak is 30% faster than my Trident 13,  spins on a dime,  edges like a touring yak,  has handled the rip tides (nothing challenging yet),  and the weight reduction (about 20 lbs.) makes handling a charm. I'm still learning to rig this yak,  but it exceeds my expectations.  Sleek,  fast,  maneuverable. 

https://images.craigslist.org/00Q0Q_6lmmuF7wkil_600x450.jpg

It's quite true that it has a tight cockpit,  and that it has less primary stability,  but  I can manage the cockpit,  and the secondary stability is solid.  Next month,  I'll have her in the ocean surf at Cape Flattery, WA.  I've read that the Dolphin is a good surf yak.  I'm hoping for the best.

Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
That kayak looks fast. Are you going to put that JNR sail on it?
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
That kayak looks fast. Are you going to put that JNR sail on it?

The JNR sail will be next.  I've rushed to get the Dolphin on the water because my local King fishing areas are quickly reaching or meeting quotas.  Already,  (2) of my closest Marine Areas are closed for Kings. 

The bow of the Dolphin was made with a substantial V-form to shed water.  I plan on making a removable plate (super-high density foam)  to flatten the area for the twin mast seating. 

I've read that a Trident 13 is a reasonably fast yak (for a yak of 13'-6"),  but this Dolphin has another gear.  I'm certain that Necky took a touring design/hull and simply modified the molds to create a SOT yak.  With all of the tidal current and wind it's difficult to test speed,  but I've exceeded 4.7+ mph several times without conscious effort. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

• View Profile

I have found a Necky Dolphin,  and been out fishing (in Puget Sound)!   It's a yak from CA that was dumped on a retired couple (by their son) near Seattle.  The Dolphin came with a seat,  a decent glass paddle by Werner,  and a rudder...all for $300 and in great shape! 

The yak is 30% faster than my Trident 13,  spins on a dime,  edges like a touring yak,  has handled the rip tides (nothing challenging yet),  and the weight reduction (about 20 lbs.) makes handling a charm. I'm still learning to rig this yak,  but it exceeds my expectations.  Sleek,  fast,  maneuverable. 

It's quite true that it has a tight cockpit,  and that it has less primary stability,  but  I can manage the cockpit,  and the secondary stability is solid.  Next month,  I'll have her in the ocean surf at Cape Flattery, WA.  I've read that the Dolphin is a good surf yak.  I'm hoping for the best.

AWESOME!

It really is a great boat for what it does well, and I'm glad you landed one, and got a hell of a deal at that!

The only rigging I've done to mine was throw a 4" scotty rail on the right side for a rod holder right around my feet. Would have done it on the left side if I'd been thinking (I fish with the rod crossing the cockpit, and on the right side, a heavy trolling weight torques the holder counter-clockwise, trying to loosen it).

The other tip is the small rubbermaid lunch box coolers sold at home depot fit the weirdly sized 'milkcrate' cutout right between the rear hatch and tankwell nicely. I think it's the 5 QT size: http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/5-qt-cooler , provided Rubbermaid didn't change the dimensions since I got mine.

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
I swear I saw one of these necky's out at Pidgeon Point yesterday with someone fishing.
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

kaz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

AWESOME!

It really is a great boat for what it does well, and I'm glad you landed one, and got a hell of a deal at that!

The only rigging I've done to mine was throw a 4" scotty rail on the right side for a rod holder right around my feet. Would have done it on the left side if I'd been thinking (I fish with the rod crossing the cockpit, and on the right side, a heavy trolling weight torques the holder counter-clockwise, trying to loosen it).

The other tip is the small rubbermaid lunch box coolers sold at home depot fit the weirdly sized 'milkcrate' cutout right between the rear hatch and tankwell nicely. I think it's the 5 QT size: http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/5-qt-cooler , provided Rubbermaid didn't change the dimensions since I got mine.

"no room for anything"   is right,  LOL.   I'm still working on the permanent rigging for the Dolphin.  I've learned to "mock-up" rigging for on-the-water,   test runs.  I'll take a look at the rubbermaid cooler,  but I have trouble reaching back that far.  Thus far,  I've strapped a modified milk crate (cut 3" off the height of the crate) over the rear hatch.  For tackle,  I've temporarily mounted a plastic food container (11" long, 4" wide,  3" high)  to the center ridge (forward of the deck hatch).   It's a work in progress. 

I've also rigged the yak for the JNR,  1.5m  crab claw sail.  I'm planning another test-outing Thurs.  after work.  If all goes well,  I'll be done rigging this weekend.  I'll try to post some pics. 

I have to admit that I love this sleek,  little  yak.  I have actually managed to ride the wakes of passing PBs.  I've never been in a SINK touring yak,  but this thing "feels"  right. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

anything