Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:23:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:18:36 PM]

[Today at 07:06:57 PM]

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: recommendations for Norcal coastal kayak  (Read 6381 times)

Rotorhead

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
Hey everybody,

I have a Cobra tandem and I'm doing research to upgrade.  I like the idea of the being able to peddle as well as paddle, so I've been looking at the Hobie Mirage series.  Mostly I would use it in the ocean along the Sonoma & Mendocino coast, and sometimes Tomales/Bodega bays as well.  I primarily want it for fishing, crabbing and a bit of diving, and the sailing looks like fun too (regarding the adventure island).

The ones I'm looking at online (of course I need to go see them in person, and I will) are the Mirage Pro angler 12, Mirage Pro angler 14, Outback, and the Mirage Adventure Island.  These are much heavier than my tandem Cobra (58 lbs), and that is a concern as I am usually solo launching from little beaches with rocky areas of course.  I would appreciate any input, and thanks   
Markus
2020 Hobie Outback

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
The AI is awesome, and sailing is a ton of fun, but that's not a boat that is ideal to launch from a rocky beach. I've never piloted a PA, but I suspect that it would be just as bad (if not worse) wrt to sketchy launch/landing scenarios. I'd think the Outback might be your best option...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Tinker

You definitely don't want a PA.

Rotorhead

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
You definitely don't want a PA.
is that because of the weight?
Markus
2020 Hobie Outback

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
The PA is stable but heavy hell, before its even fully rigged.

The outback and revolution are the middle ground.  Outback favoring stability while the revolution is faster and more maneuverable. 

The TI and AI are long, 14-16ft and is fast and stable with the amas.  I considered one of these at some point, but theres a lot of components to these that swayed me decision away from them.

The compass is the lightweight, both somewhat stable and quick because of its lightweight. 

If you want tandem, then consider an Outfitter or Oasis.

AL

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
For your purposes  I would recommend an outback or revo.
I have a PA 14, outback, revo, and oasis; and each have a particular area where they shine, but limitations also.
 One thing that I feel is often overlooked is weight capacity of the craft and expected load. For minimal gear and average to smaller fisherperson with good balance the revolution excels. It is fast & most capable in surf conditions.
However, I find that the stability of the outback is preferable to the speed of the revo, and there is much more space for gear, but...
If I want to run a livewell or drop crab pots, and the wind is good, and easy access, I'll take the PA and be much more comfortable.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Outback are nice n stable but kinda slow... Revos are faster but with hobie amas I’m sure it can be more stable for crabbing with multiple pots. I crab with mines without the amas and can load 2 pots ok ...
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
For what you are describing you want a revo 13. Outback is too heavy to carry down any narrow trails or rocky beaches. I used to have a revo 13 and now have a new outback. The revo I could throw over my shoulder and carry. Not going to happen with the outback.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

jrsuperman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
If you want a do it all except standing.. I say AI haha.. started with an adventure 16 then sold that and have a revo 11 and AI showed at a good price and got it. It’s heavy but car toppable with a hullavator or other YouTube techniques to load them.
And AI by hull itself is very stable in the ocean I tried it at rockaway with a bit sporty condition.

Rotorhead

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I am tempted by the AI, liking the versatility, but the revo looks great too.

Most the places I go have single track (sometimes even double track) trail allowing a wheeled cart to carry the kayak.  I go to Sea Ranch a lot and there are a couple of places to wheel a kayak to the beach (Walk on and Shell Beach).  I guess if I went somewhere with the AI where I had to carry it, I could remove the mast & amas, and make 2 trips.  I'm guessing just the hull is about 68lbs?  I could see using the AI with amas in the ocean (with or without the mast), and then using just the hull (without amas or mast) in a mellow river.  I was reading about a guy that uses just the hull without amas or mast in the ocean and thinks its stable enough.  Anyway, I appreciate all the input, I'm going to keep mulling it over. 
Markus
2020 Hobie Outback

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
The 16 foot Adventure is perfectly stable in the ocean. I've been using one for years in all kinds of weather without a flip over.
Charles

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Hobie must be making shitloads of money right now

Soon enough they will get some of mine

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I wish the hull was 68lbs. It’s more like 90-100. I could lift the revo 13 hull but not the AI hull. I can’t imagine car topping the tandem 😎
-Jason

Gonesailing

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2019
With the redesign the outback is not As noticeably slower than the revo 13. I tested both in calm flat water and the the revo was only about .5knots faster than the outback at my 75% pedaling output. That does add up if you’re talking 10 mile trips, but I opted for the outback since I can also load the hell out of it and take the family kayak camping. I don’t really spend time on lakes but if you like sight casting, the revo is no fun to stand up in.
2019 Seagrass Green (yellow) Outback

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I wish the hull was 68lbs. It’s more like 90-100. I could lift the revo 13 hull but not the AI hull. I can’t imagine car topping the tandem 😎

According to Hobie, the "fitted hull weight" of the latest version of the AI is 102 pounds, while the fully rigged weight is 185 (click on the "specs" button):
https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-adventure-island/

The pre-2015 AI had a claimed hull weight of 86.5 pounds and fully rigged weight of 115.
http://www.yakangler.com/fishing-kayak-review/265-2013-hobie-mirage-adventure-island

I've got a 2014 AI and have not weighed it, but I'd guess that hull weight is about right. But fully rigged is probably a little more than was claimed.

According to the chatter on the Hobie forum, people seem to agree that the claimed weights for the current AI are correct, while that the hull weight for pre-2015 is about right too, but that a fully rigged pre-2015 weighs significantly more than the claimed 115. If I recall correctly, the consensus seems to be that the fully rigged AI gained about 30 lbs in 2015, which would put the pre-2015 fully fitted weight closer to 150 than 115.

And, as others have said, the pre-2015 AI hull works great by itself, as those are virtually the same as the Revo 16. A lot of people also use the AI with 1 ama, which makes for a super-stable outrigger canoe (sort of) mode...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...