Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:38:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:31:56 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Not alot of Fly fishers here?  (Read 6562 times)

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • Stealth, Ducati and Lotus, light makes right.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Oh hell yeah! From the yak? I'm down!

Don't get me wrong, don't mind using nymphs and indicators. I just think its funny that they won't call it bobber fishing :)

ruben
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:29:22 AM by fishkraft »
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'm down for a float on the Yuba on my kayak.  We can leave a truck down steam or use the shuttle service.  I don't know the Yuba good enough to lead a fishout, but I will be there for sure if someone wants to do one.  Heck, I would ditch work in the middle of the week for some of that action.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I can do midweek. Preferably a Tuesday. I have a full size pick up so we can definitely be our own shuttle. Let's figure this out.

Any Yuba fisherman out there?

ruben
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

jweb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
I used to fish it frequently (pre kids...). Definitely some of the hardest pulling fish. I'd love to do a kayak float, but would have to see if I could make a weekday work.
JW
Dark Side

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I used to fish it frequently (pre kids...). Definitely some of the hardest pulling fish. I'd love to do a kayak float, but would have to see if I could make a weekday work.
JW

JW, ScottV let's make this happen. JW, keep me posted regarding your availability. If it turns out you can't do it during the week maybe we'll try fishing with the masses on a weekend  :smt044

ruben
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hmmm... Don't forget to post it up. I can weekend warrior it only, but sounds fun. My Van holds 7 people and with the trailer I can do about 10 kayaks
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Alcim11

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Hi,
I also flyfish as well as use conventional tackle.  I mainly flyfish for trout and steelhead.  I am interested in finding out about and trying to flyfish in the ocean for rockfish and salmon from my yak.  Has anyone had much success?  I'd love to learn about how to do it.

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hi,
I also flyfish as well as use conventional tackle.  I mainly flyfish for trout and steelhead.  I am interested in finding out about and trying to flyfish in the ocean for rockfish and salmon from my yak.  Has anyone had much success?  I'd love to learn about how to do it.

BioBil1, caught a few blacks up at Albion. I haven't done it yet but I don't see why we couldn't get salmon on a streamer or clouser if they're not to deep.

ruben
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

novofish

• Wear your PFD - every time OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Go for it, they will hit clousers for sure, here's one that hit a chartruese and white medium sized clouser a few years ago on the AR.
AOTY 2011 - 9th
AOTY 2012 - 16th
AOTY 2013 - 6th
FAOTY 2014 - 4th
AOTY 2015 - 5th
AOTY 2016 - 56th
AOTY 2017 - 37th

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Damn Tony, you are a badass! That bendo shot is killer.

ruben
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 08:17:19 AM by fishkraft »
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
  Anyone seen my tweed jacket?

:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

You're killin' me Smalls! Good one.

I've built my own fly rods, and tie my own files. I have a ridiculous amount of fly tying equipment.
Got my son-in-law turned on to it.
I think that I really didn't start conventional fishing, sans one spinning outfit, until I started kayak fishing in the ocean.
<=>

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Hi,

This is what I was told by a very knowledgable fly guy regarding ocean sslmon:

Trolling on a downriger, even with a sink tip, is the only way to get deeper than 10-15'. However, if you are with a group and someone hooks up cast in the direction of the fish as others will follow the hooked fish. I have yet to try any of this myself.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

pindo124

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
Hi,

I flyfish exclusively, including the ocean. After several years of it, I've learned that generally I do well if I can find some fish - even if they're fairly deep. I use 28' T14 line shooting head on a 9 wt, with Airflow Ridge 0.30 running line. I add 6' of T14 doubled over to make 3' piece, which I loop onto the end of the shooting head behind the leader. This pulls the head of the line down deeper, so I tend to jig vertically, but also will keep the fly below the surface if the fish are up higher.

I usually use clousers, but have done well with surf candies, or gurglers with a floating line on the surface. I have yet to catch a halibut, but have caught hundreds of rockfish & many many lings as well. No salmon in the ocean yet, but I haven't tried that much.

In terms of clousers, I use a variety of colors. This year pink/white has worked very well, but I've also done well on larger fish with a darker, "rockfish special" with gold, olive, brown & black. I tie them all myself, so I can control the size, shape & color. Sometimes the fish want big, sometimes small, but I tend to use smaller flies the most mainly because they're easier to cast from the sitting position in a kayak.

I got into it originally fishing for stripers in the delta - those fish are really aggressive on flies!

Hope to see you out there!
Bill

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
This thread is really getting good! I can't wait to get my flyrods out again. I'm thinking about hitting SC next Tuesday, I think I'll bring my 8wt and some clousers :smt003

ruben
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

bwodun

Just got home from work to find my first two hander waiting for me on the porch  :smt001
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:50:26 PM by bwodun »