Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Rigging the Mini-x!  (Read 5068 times)

IamBrown

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Well I just got my Mini-X last week and decided the best thing to do was not waste a minute and get this bad boy set up.

I am very new to kayaking so theres nothing to spectacular here but I'm excited and hoping to learn from others and inspire some more posting on mini-x riggin!
I apologize in advance for the dirty patio in the background and whatnot, I guess i should spend more time cleaning/decorating then fishing and kayaking (that will be the day!!!)

so here we go

the first picture is the night i first got it  :smt007
 after that i have a pic of the greatest free ghetto measuring tape ever IKEA!  I just laminated the little paper one they give out and its foldable and easy to take anywere!

The next two pictures are of the two "pool noodles" i placed along the sides of the kayak. I saw this done by a guy who said he once had a leak in his kayak and it sank before he got it back to shore :smt009 :smt010, these were to insure that wouldn't happen again. for only 3 bucks a piece i think it was a good investment.

then i have my 2 dollar crate from target, sanded grooves in it so i can mount my two rod holders/net holders.

the two pvc pipes I am going to mount to the crate, cut about 3" deep by 1" wide grooves in the top so the rods can sit in them.

I took a big osh bucket (the one with the handle) and a smaller one and drilled holes into the smaller one around the bottom, and holes in the lid to make a semi bait bucket type of thing, I would like to eventually do a live-well but were doing baby steps here. I am going to use extreme waterproof velcro to mount the bucket inside of the crate, so i can remove it if I decide its worthless/too big.  I actually already did this and it works great.

So next will be the bungie rigging and a FF and then maybe a bow hatch!!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:06:08 PM by IamBrown »
"are you freaking kidding me?"

wetwhopper

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Hey, Nice Job! It's nice to see what others have done to their Mighty (i mean... Mini) X's. I will try to post some pics of mine soon.

Does the noodle reallygive you that much more bouyancy?

Regards, Wettwhopper

IamBrown

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
you know at first i didnt realize it but the pool noodle do help some, cause water was no longer coming up my scupper holes when i leaned over. also if you get water in and start to sink you wont lose your yak to the bottom.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
you know at first i didnt realize it but the pool noodle do help some, cause water was no longer coming up my scupper holes when i leaned over.
HUH? Did you put them underneath or inside? I'm Confused  :smt101
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

IamBrown

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
i put them inside along the left and right sides, hugging the walls, and now when i lean on the sides it seems the kayak doesn't dip down as much. maybe its just me I dunno.  I bought the "SUPER" pool noodles the big fat ones they were pretty hard to get in but they fit perfect once they are in.

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
i put them inside along the left and right sides, hugging the walls, and now when i lean on the sides it seems the kayak doesn't dip down as much. maybe its just me I dunno.  I bought the "SUPER" pool noodles the big fat ones they were pretty hard to get in but they fit perfect once they are in.

Pool noodles in the hull are for emergencies where your hull gets punctured and you're taking on water. They provide extra flotation by limiting the amount of water your hull can take on and by being buoyant themselves. If your pool noodles are inside the yak and your yak isn't filling with water, they won't affect buoyancy. Air is less dense than your pool noodles and although I doubt the noodles affect the float of your yak at all, if anything their weight inside your hull would make the boat sit just a tiny bit deeper in the water.

But on the plus side, your yak is looking great!   :smt007 Keep up the good work!
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

FindThatFish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
nice job.  stuffing the pool noodles inside of your kayak is a very good idea.  i think i will do that as well.
however, i am having a hard time finding the super size pool noodle.  where did you get yours?

IamBrown

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
yeah i figured they would jut be good if i got a puncture, but either way they are a plus! I got mine on sale at sports authority 3 bucks a piece.

Dan V

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
IamBrown ,  I work in Vacaville and live in Esparto ,  where did you buy your mini-x and if you don't mind - what did you pay for it ?  Did it come with the hatch and the pole holders ? While in Brookings this summer I found Mini-x's for just under $370 , but they were plain , no hatch or pole holders. No idea if that was a good deal or not considering it came with nothing .

Thanks , Dan

IamBrown

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
hey dan whats goin on, esparto huh my dad lived out there awhile back. small town.  I got mine in san jose, Boaters world, came with a seat center hatch and two holders behind the seat, i paid 483+tax.  I think thats a pretty good deal.  The ones you saw are an awesome deal if you can do everything yourself, now that i have been messing with mine I feel i could buy a plain one and easily set it up.  I will have some more updated pictures because I added a portable FF and bungee rigging to the front and back end of the yak, only took me about 30 min to do it.

anything