Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:25:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:17:52 PM]

[Today at 12:54:54 PM]

[Today at 10:51:53 AM]

[Today at 07:23:39 AM]

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pathos or Rob Allen?  (Read 773 times)

mw

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
I'm going to take the advice of Big Jim and others on this forum and pick up a railgun this year. It seems like the consensus is to look for something around 70cm? I'll mostly be reef and hole hunting between Monterey and Fort Bragg. It seems like the two brands most shops carry are Pathos and Rob Allen.

Does anyone have an important preference between these two? I'd be looking at their basic railgun models and would set them up with a reel. I've never hunted that way before but it makes good sense to me and just seems easier.

I think that means the Pathos Laser Open Pro or the RA Tuna Aluminum.

Thanks for any input! Excited to get back out in the water.

Bolicks

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2022
I'm a big fan of my Rob allens - I use the 1-band 60cm cobia. Has been good for rockfish/lingcod. Personally, I prefer to use them with a float line, in case I want to use both hands for whatever reason.

essrigr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2023
Hey there mw, I am always looking for new freediving/spearfishing buddies to go out with. I will also go out kayak fishing, mostly go between monterey and timber cove area, if you are ever interested shoot me a pm and I will get back to you. I am planning to go down to monterey/carmel area from mid march to mid may, I have time off from work, take care, hope to hook up, Ron.

divenfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Hey Mike I have a couple of Rob Allen's 70's and one 80 if you want to try them out before you buy. I'm in Ft Bragg.

mw

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks guys! Always appreciate the generosity on this forum. A reply for each of you:

Essrigr, I'll keep your offer in mind! I could use a few new dive buddies as well and I will start finding some time on fridays and weekends beginning in April or so.

Bolicks, I hadn't looked at the cobia but I'm appreciating the low cost and simplicity. Have you ever found yourself wanting the bigger stronger gun? If so, when do you wish you had more gun? I had in mind the 70 cm Tuna, which is only a little longer but probably considerably more power. As to float or reel, I've usually gone without either, but I see advantages to both.

Divenfish, Thanks for the offer! I'm up in Ft Bragg pretty often. I have family nearby and was raised over the hill in Laytonville. Got my first wetsuit from Kenny at Subsurface as a kid. If I haven't just gone ahead and bought the gun I'll take you up on the offer to try. And maybe reach out to dive in any case.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Dang I miss the Subsurface shop.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Bolicks

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2022
I also have a RA Tuna 100, which I use for visits to Florida and waters where I may encounter bigger fish :) But frankly, I really enjoy the shorter cobia 60 for rockfish and lingcod in murky waters. It's just so much more manoeuverable, and is great for shooting fish in caves/cracks.

mw

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I also have a RA Tuna 100, which I use for visits to Florida and waters where I may encounter bigger fish :) But frankly, I really enjoy the shorter cobia 60 for rockfish and lingcod in murky waters. It's just so much more manoeuverable, and is great for shooting fish in caves/cracks.

Thanks! This is a great tip. That's mostly the kind of diving I'll be doing so I'll give the cobia a good look.

anything