General > Recipes

Need a ling head soup recipe

(1/2) > >>

bioman:
big Jim and others with more experience, I'm cooking my first Ling today.  Any advice on a good fish head soup or other erecomendatio for the Cabeza?
Thankd much!

Tez:

--- Quote from: bioman on September 12, 2018, 10:37:05 AM ---big Jim and others with more experience, I'm cooking my first Ling today.  Any advice on a good fish head soup or other erecomendatio for the Cabeza?
Thankd much!

--- End quote ---

I usually wrap the heads and collars in aluminum foil with a pad of butter and some seasoning (cajun, or taco, or salt/pepper/garlic/onion), and bake @400 for 25min(smaller)up to 35-40+min for bigger ones, or until 145 degrees.  There's some good meat on there for soup/tacos/salads etc.  After picking off the good stuff, the scraps go in a stock pot with the frames left over from filleting.  Add some water to cover everything, and seasonings, (I use garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and thyme, but seasoning may differ if you are making something more unique).     Bring everything just barely to a boil, then drop down to a very low simmer with the heat super low.  Skim off any foam that forms, and simmer it for about 45 min.  Strain out the pieces, then use immediately or chill and freeze.  This is a pretty basic stock that you can use for lots of different things, especially if you select the seasonings to be complimentary to your final dish.

I often make a fisherman's soup with a bell pepper, two skinned + cooked sweet potatoes, 1 can of diced tomatoes, an onion, and a jalepeno.  (Optionally add some diced sausage.)

Throw a little olive oil in a pan on low/med, then put a few bay leaves and some paprika in there FOR 30 SECONDS or so once it's hot.  Dump in the tomatoes, chopped bell peppers, sweet potato, an onion, and a chopped+seeded jalepeno (+sausage?).  Season the mix with some more of whatever you seasoned the stock with (garlic, salt+pepper, herbs, etc.)  Cover for 10 and simmer on low/med.   After 10 min, add your strained stock and simmer everything for an hour+ uncovered.  Pull out the bay leaves.  At this point you can leave everything as it is, or hit it with an immersion blender to make it smooth.  You can also simmer some boneless fillets in there on low for 7-10 minutes until they are cooked.  Finish with some of the cooked, picked meat from the head and collars if you would like.  I also put a tiny bit of butter or olive oil on top once everything is in the final serving dishes.

yatzmail@yahoo.com:
Sounds tasty and going to give that a try sometime  :smt007

Cabeza de Martillo:
I have one but it's not written down yet. Every time I make it I just go off of memory and it comes out very flavorful  :smt007

Will do one eventually......

In the meantime I'm sure the head stock would be good in this

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=77329.0

TheKeeneroo:

--- Quote from: Tez on September 12, 2018, 02:52:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: bioman on September 12, 2018, 10:37:05 AM ---big Jim and others with more experience, I'm cooking my first Ling today.  Any advice on a good fish head soup or other erecomendatio for the Cabeza?
Thankd much!

--- End quote ---

I usually wrap the heads and collars in aluminum foil with a pad of butter and some seasoning (cajun, or taco, or salt/pepper/garlic/onion), and bake @400 for 25min(smaller)up to 35-40+min for bigger ones, or until 145 degrees.  There's some good meat on there for soup/tacos/salads etc.  After picking off the good stuff, the scraps go in a stock pot with the frames left over from filleting.  Add some water to cover everything, and seasonings, (I use garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and thyme, but seasoning may differ if you are making something more unique).     Bring everything just barely to a boil, then drop down to a very low simmer with the heat super low.  Skim off any foam that forms, and simmer it for about 45 min.  Strain out the pieces, then use immediately or chill and freeze.  This is a pretty basic stock that you can use for lots of different things, especially if you select the seasonings to be complimentary to your final dish.

I often make a fisherman's soup with a bell pepper, two skinned + cooked sweet potatoes, 1 can of diced tomatoes, an onion, and a jalepeno.  (Optionally add some diced sausage.)

Throw a little olive oil in a pan on low/med, then put a few bay leaves and some paprika in there FOR 30 SECONDS or so once it's hot.  Dump in the tomatoes, chopped bell peppers, sweet potato, an onion, and a chopped+seeded jalepeno (+sausage?).  Season the mix with some more of whatever you seasoned the stock with (garlic, salt+pepper, herbs, etc.)  Cover for 10 and simmer on low/med.   After 10 min, add your strained stock and simmer everything for an hour+ uncovered.  Pull out the bay leaves.  At this point you can leave everything as it is, or hit it with an immersion blender to make it smooth.  You can also simmer some boneless fillets in there on low for 7-10 minutes until they are cooked.  Finish with some of the cooked, picked meat from the head and collars if you would like.  I also put a tiny bit of butter or olive oil on top once everything is in the final serving dishes.

--- End quote ---

I had a huge lunch of left over halibut less than an hour ago and if I had a bowl of this soup in front of me right now... it wouldn't be there for long! Sounds amazing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version