Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:52:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 18, 2024, 09:36:02 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 07:50:22 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 07:21:34 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 06:47:15 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 05:06:27 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 04:14:59 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 01:34:22 PM]

[March 18, 2024, 11:23:51 AM]

[March 18, 2024, 11:17:48 AM]

[March 18, 2024, 07:34:09 AM]

[March 18, 2024, 06:29:43 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 10:51:18 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 05:04:30 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 04:26:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 03:46:32 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 11:15:48 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Malibu Kayaks - Support Issues?  (Read 16304 times)

2labs4me

I was heading up north of Fresno where I live and emailed a couple shops to ask if they carried Stealth 14 or X-Factor so I could check them out since I was going to be in the area. These were shops that were supposed to carry Malibu Kayaks according to Malibu's website. One place didnt carry either model and suggested it would be too expensive for me to special order them because I would have to pay shipping. The other shop said they've had too many problems with Malibu kayaks service and support and do not carry them anymore. I have an Outback and was looking for a lighter kayak that had similar stability. Has anyone had issues with customer service at Malibu? I plan to demo an X factor or Stealth down south next month. From what I've seen and read these models seem like awesome boats.
Thanks, Gary

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Malibu probably the worst reputation for customer support in our industry. Google it and you'll find lengthy discussions on this topic from various kayak-fishing forums.
Old info but maybe still relevant: http://www.kayakfishingmafia.com/smf/index.php?topic=2113.0
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:29:35 PM by Cen Coast »
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
There's good reason they don't carry them - support sucks.

I made the mistake of buying a blem - which according to them would be repaired by the factory to be 100% functional.

It arrived with a severley bent keel, pics are on here somewhere.

I had a hell of a time getting them to honor the 90 day warranty and finally a zillion calls and emails got me a shipping label.

I like their boat designs, I really do. But unless I could inspect one before buying it and had a good dealer in my corner, and close to me I'd look at another brand.

-Logan

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I got my X-Factor at Outback Adventures in Marin.  Didn't have any issues with it, or the customer service from the shop at all. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2005
I got my X-Factor at Outback Adventures in Marin.  Didn't have any issues with it, or the customer service from the shop at all.

Unfortunately, this location is now closed, been a couple of months now.  I've had an X Factor for over 10 years and love it.  Although it was a bunch of years ago the one support issue I had with them was handled fairly well, although another recent thread on here suggested they are currently under staffed.

Live2Fish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I have an xfactor.  Love this kayak.  But I've had several terrible experiences with Malibu customer service.  One guy on the phone didn't know what a Gator Hatch was! But I would still by an xfactor. They are incredibly stable boats with great load capacity.  Lightweight compared to other similar size boats. 

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
I love my Malibu kayaks (X-factors and mini X) and thankfully have had no issues. Our local dive shop, rental dive gear and rental kayak business used to carry them. The owner told me he thought they were the best rental craft due to being able to take the wear and tear and continue in service with no issues. He also carried two other very popular brands so he had some perspective.

Then (several years ago now) he reported (hearsay here) that the Malibu company owners had a falling out and split up and he wasn't able to get them for awhile, but would keep trying. My buddy Joe got his last in-stock mini.

Apparently it did not work out to his satisfaction as they no longer carry any Malibu Boats.

When I need replacement parts - handles, hood straps and hatch seals, I contact Brent at OEX via their online store - kayakfishingsupplies.com

Perhaps Brent or Eric (AbKing/LoletaEric here on NCKA) can direct you to a stocking dealer in Nor Cal.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Malibu has definitely had their problems over the years, but their boats are awesome.

I'm working on them...  It's taking a long time.  I hope to help Malibu perform better, and once they get it down I'm confident that their boats will be recognized for the awesome platforms that they are.

My advice:  keep knocking on their door.  Make your case.  Be patient and stay positive. 

Best of luck.  :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Malibu has definitely had their problems over the years, but their boats are awesome.

I'm working on them...  It's taking a long time.  I hope to help Malibu perform better, and once they get it down I'm confident that their boats will be recognized for the awesome platforms that they are.

My advice:  keep knocking on their door.  Make your case.  Be patient and stay positive. 

+1  What he said !        Try contacting Brett at Kayak Obsessions  He's a dealer for Malibu   ( Santa Cruz Kayaks also )    I know Brett will go out of his way to provide great service and support.   
   Kayak Obsessions also sponsors the Central Coast Kayak fishing group..  Cambria Slamdown, and HOW chapter.
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

2labs4me

Thanks for the feedback. I really havent seen anything I like better, on paper, that is, than the x-factor, and stealth. Seems like a good compromise of stability and weight with good setup for fishing. I was out with Eric at Shelter Cove last year and I know he loves his x-fcator. I like my Outback on lakes, esp for trolling, but I think I'd like something a bit lighter but just as stable for salt and if I take my wife out she can used the Outback. Is Brent in Newport Beach? If so, I am going to be down that way soon and I will stop by.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
As I recall, Brent is at the Mission Bay site
Joel ><>

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Brett,,,  Not Brent     Thousand Oaks,   Phone number 805-732-4290

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

OnTheReel

• Salmon
  • Father, Angler, Adventure Seeker
  • View Profile On The Reel Apparel / Gear
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

^^^ This completely.. But they are in my opinion, the best on the water for stability and tracking, storage and function.... if you don't mind paddling.

If you need help trying one out, I have both readily available that you can try out. I personally like the Stealth more then the XFactor. Better movement for the angler / user on the top deck I thought with the same storage capability.

If you need help either with contacting them directly, or ordering one, let me know.. You won't be disappointed, Ive paddled many yaks, these are awesome.. PS the reviews you read about the bad designs and blem / cracking plastic / leaky hatches have been addressed and do not happen on the 2015+ models..

Curious to see their new lawn chair seat on the Stealth for 2017, can't wait to get things straightened out in my situation as I may look into heading towards another purchase before summer, and it would be that boat.

Good luck! Cheers!
- Austin - IG: on_the_reel_831

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Brett,,,  Not Brent     Thousand Oaks,   Phone number 805-732-4290

I thought he was asking regarding my previous mention of Brent at OEX
Joel ><>

2labs4me

^^^ This completely.. But they are in my opinion, the best on the water for stability and tracking, storage and function.... if you don't mind paddling.

If you need help trying one out, I have both readily available that you can try out. I personally like the Stealth more then the XFactor. Better movement for the angler / user on the top deck I thought with the same storage capability.

If you need help either with contacting them directly, or ordering one, let me know.. You won't be disappointed, Ive paddled many yaks, these are awesome.. PS the reviews you read about the bad designs and blem / cracking plastic / leaky hatches have been addressed and do not happen on the 2015+ models..

Curious to see their new lawn chair seat on the Stealth for 2017, can't wait to get things straightened out in my situation as I may look into heading towards another purchase before summer, and it would be that boat.

Good luck! Cheers!

Awesome, thanks. Other than the design and weight of the Stealth, the new X-Seat option caught my eye too. I really like the 2015 Hobie seats. With some minor back problems, it helps. So I'd like to check out the X seat when I visit a dealer.

anything