Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:13:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:36:02 PM]

[Today at 07:50:22 PM]

[Today at 07:21:34 PM]

[Today at 06:47:15 PM]

[Today at 05:06:27 PM]

[Today at 04:14:59 PM]

[Today at 01:34:22 PM]

[Today at 11:23:51 AM]

[Today at 11:17:48 AM]

[Today at 07:34:09 AM]

[Today at 06:29:43 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 10:51:18 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 05:04:30 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 04:26:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 03:46:32 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 11:15:48 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stealth 12... good for me?  (Read 4978 times)

dongdong214

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
I bought a stealth 12 from a member here. Paddle several times... Now I have several questions:

1. safety: I saw that leak test video and did the same test by my self. Test result is OK, very very little water in the hull, it should be normal. Then I went to a beach and tested it with the relatively high tide, and kayak upside down to water several times. I saw some water into the hull (2L or 1L, don't know, but only feel kayak became heaven and slower). Finally, I went to HMB (inside wall, clam water) for test, almost dry at hull

My question: Is it safe enough to fish in the bay (like HMB, MB ...) based on your experiences.

2. Speed: this kayak is wider one compared with other kayaks, such as Hobie rev. 13, Ocean T13. So I :smt001 feel it is slower, but it OK for fishing. I am not that physical guy so I am considering how long I can paddle out.... :smt044

3. I found not many people use that kayak at Bay area and no dealer have that kayak for sale currently. 

I am now considering sell it or not. But for me the safety is most important since I am a new beginner, no much experience.... Thanks!!!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:48:02 PM by dongdong214 »

FISHADOW

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Pusher of the Prowler. Watcher of the Wise.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I think your going to be ok in that yak.

If your kayak is flipped in the middle of some bad swells  a little water in your hull should be the least of your worries  :smt003

As long as its not taking on any water just paddling, your fine.

I think its good that's its stable. The trade for stability over speed can be a good thing sometimes.

My 2 Cents
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:54:04 PM by FiShadow »
I like to have fun.......

LIVE LIFE!!!

rob102

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I have that yak.  I use it for a dive platform.  The leaks (at least on mine) come from the two side hatches.  To fix the leaks I pulled the gaskets out and added silicone to the groove and reinstalled the gaskets without squishing the silicone out.  This made for a better sealing surface. 

You can check for leaks by propping the yak level, covering the scupper holes with tape and filling the footwells until the hatches are covered.  With the gator seat hatch off you can see and probably hear if the water is trickling in.

While on the water, secure the Gator seat hatch tightly and pull the bungee up and secure it around the bungee buttons on the bow.

The yak still takes on a small amount of water but nothing that concerns me.  It is a very stable yak, in fact you can stand on it in calm water.  It is wide and slow but it maneuvers well.  It is very comfortable for long periods and has a lot of storage. 

I would say that mine is seaworthy.

In the end, you need to decide what you are going to do with the yak.  If you are going to spend a day fishing and enjoying yourself it's a good boat.  If you are going to race your friends to the fishing hole, or maybe even trolling long distances, you may want something else.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I have the 14 version.  Ive had mine on Monterey Bay numerous times.  Yeah, I get a little water (couple cups worth) after a full day otw.  Wide and stable but slower than a pedal yak.  One of the last trips out I paddled upwards of 12 miles so it's possible.  Upgrade the seat for added comfort.  It's a beast to move across the beach do opt for the sand tires on your kart.  Trust me on that one.  Keep your rigging lite and consider upgrading or replacing the gaskets if it is 2010 or older.  I use the livewell to hold tackle or ice it down for food/drinks.  Pm me if you need more comments or rigging ideas.

~Bill

anything