Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:51:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:25:09 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Best all around kayak?  (Read 5271 times)

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
If you plan to be in this for a long time go straight to a pedal kayak.
Save yourself the growing pain of upgrading later. IMO it’s difficult to paddle and fish the same time in current/windy conditions.

Plenty of previous pedal vs paddle posts on NCKA for your research. Logan, use the 'search' function and do some research on the board.  Lots of info.

For a newbie "first yak" info, it's disengenuous to present a pedal yak as a be-all, end-all. Or as an 'upgrade.'   Yes, it is difficult to paddle and fish at the same time, especially for one who has never learned to paddle. There is an entire spectrum of skills and fishing opportunities that many anglers miss out on by limiting themselves to a pedal kayak.

Bushy 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:18:38 AM by Bushy »

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
What Bushy wrote is spot-on. And, there isn't a best all around kayak for everyone.

The height, weight and strength of an individual can make one boat feel better than another. You must try several at least if not many to fine the one for you.

A wet ride for someone else may be sufficiently dry for you. A slow boat for another can be stable and predictable for another.  If you are a person who buys the current car of the year just because the reviewers deemed it so, any declared best will be right. I believe you need to take them for a ride to see.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I agree with everyone on T13. In my opinion it is the best all around kayak hands down.
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

IsaoK

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Would like to throw the Malibu two into the mix for ideal learning kayak. Personally spent years on it fishing crabbing and surfing it. As a beginner it will limit you just enough to get your chops up, while enabling you to learn how to handle a little more boat, making almost anything else way safer and easier.

Xoxo
- hapatoughlove

Tinker

I'm going to throw in with Bushy.  I started with a Tarpon 120, moved to a Hobie Revolution 13, and got rid of that for a Trident 13.  I hated trying to get the Hobie to match the way I fish.

I have two Tridents now, a 2015 T-11 and a 2011 T-13.  Both are drier rides than the Hobie because water isn't entering through a drive well, but that said, kayaking is a wet sport and you're going to end up wet in any kayak you buy.

Speed wise, I had a friend pull away from me paddling his old Prowler 12 in heavy chop and I couldn't keep up with him in my Revo 13 (with Turbo fins).  He knows how to paddle properly and can almost get that short, wide Prowler up on plane.

Both my Tridents and the Revo proved to be about equal for primary and secondary stability, which surprised me given how different the shape of their hulls are.  I prefer the Tridents if I have to head into swells because the Tridents' bows ride up faster.  The Hobie felt more comfortable taking a swell at a slight angle.  All three of them were confidence inspiring.

The best thing you can do is stop reading and asking questions and instead go plant your butt in different kayaks until you find the one that feels right to you.  What's right for me is unlikely right for you, and vice-versa.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
29 inches tends to be a more narrow boat compared to others, The Trident has always smoked my Hobie Quest and we are the same length, but the bow and hull are not similar. The Trident always seem to be a faster boat than my Quest. That said you should paddle a couple and see if it meets your needs. No boat does everything perfect, but the trident is a good boat and for the price point they get the job done with little fuss.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 #micdrop
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Naw, that's just nostalgia.  I paddled a P15 years later and it really isn't all that.  It was back then though!

Wanna fight?   :smt004

-Allen

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Naw, that's just nostalgia.  I paddled a P15 years later and it really isn't all that.  It was back then though!

-Allen
we should hav a decathlon for kayaks and riders like MBF to settle the best all around ride.  :smt003

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

-Allen
we should hav a decathlon for kayaks and riders like MBF to settle the best all around ride.  :smt003

Like the Raptor vs Scupper Pro race in Monterey for the first PIF Day?  RAvensblack vs Jim Martin who was only 10 minutes behind at the finish line.  He WAS more dry, however.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

yatzmail@yahoo.com

If I was worried about speed I’d get a fast kayak. If I want an enjoyable all around  ride it certainly wouldn’t be any of the OK  :smt003

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

-Allen

I just say that because I paddled one for years. Ocean, lakes, rivers, hunting ducks, deer, and even used on an elk hunt. Pretty all around if you ask me. My sons NuCanoe is the shizzle but it is a TANK to paddle and weighs a ton, but you can do anything on it. Been so long since I have been on a kayak I don't know what is what anymore. Yeah I'll fight ;)
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

-Allen

I just say that because I paddled one for years. Ocean, lakes, rivers, hunting ducks, deer, and even used on an elk hunt. Pretty all around if you ask me. My sons NuCanoe is the shizzle but it is a TANK to paddle and weighs a ton, but you can do anything on it. Been so long since I have been on a kayak I don't know what is what anymore. Yeah I'll fight ;)

Oh, it definitely is a good all around kayak.  Best though?  Yeah, let's fight!

-Allen

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13.
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali