Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:52:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:26:01 PM]

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Best all around kayak?  (Read 5272 times)

AbovePlains

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Hi there. I’m in the market for a first fishing kayak and I’m having some trouble picking out a great all-around kayak. I live right next to a good fishing lake but I’d also like to be able to tackle bigger surf and swells in the ocean without any issues. I was looking at a Trident 13 but I’ve heard it’s pretty slow... hopefully looking to not spend much more than 1500... what’s out there that I’m missing?

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I don't think it's slow at all. I guess it depends how strong and efficient paddler you are. I personally think its a great yak.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

bryan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I like my trident alot. I have an outback now and i still thi k speed wise and how it handles with swell is better. If you wanna try mine out before you buy onr we can fish in the delta or berryessa im located in vacaville so anywhere within about an hour im up for shoot me a pm. The trident is definately a solid kayak though

SuperVato

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
The Trident 13 isn’t slow, at 29” wide it is much faster than most.
“All men are equal before fish.”
― Herbert  Hoover    

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Sold my T13 right before getting my Outback.  If I had room, I would've kept both.  The T13 is fast, cuts thru chop better than my Outback, and had more deck space.  Other than that, I can go out longer and further with my Outback because I'm not constantly using my arms. 

You should be able to find a good used one for $600-900. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:52:24 AM by SimplyCook »

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
T13.  Yes.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Whatever you choose you won’t find a kayak that excels at everything. As you improve features in one area you take away from other areas. I use my 12ft Tarpon for lake fishing and my 14ft Thresher for ocean fishing. For a long time I used my Tarpon in the ocean and it worked. You can pick one or the other or both, but an all around kayak isn’t going to be the fastest, most stable, most comfortable, tightest turning and lightest kayak. You could get a Tarpon 160 if you want a fast kayak but you’ll lose in other areas. I’ve heard that the Trident 13 is a wet ride. It rides low so you get more water in through the scuppers. That probably means you get pushed around less by the wind. Every positive feature is a trade off in another area. I think 13 feet is a good all around length. It’s not going to be the fastest or slowest, most stable or least. If you read back on the forum you would see the Trident has been used by many for years. Is it the best all around kayak? That will depend on your personal preferences. Before I got my Thresher, my Tarpon 120 was my all around kayak and I did everything with it. Look at kayaks in the 12-13 foot range and pick one that has the features you like. Some kayaks have gear tracks. Some have different hatch and storage options. Some have more or less water in the kayak. Maybe pick one that is a little better in the areas that suit the kind of fishing you will be spending the most time doing
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:13:52 AM by traildad »
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I’ve heard that the Trident 13 is a wet ride. It rides low so you get more water in through the scuppers.

Maybe thinking of the Prowler 13... Trident 13 is not very wet at all.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I’ve heard that the Trident 13 is a wet ride. It rides low so you get more water in through the scuppers.

Bushy

Yes, the prowler can get a bit wet.  The T13 is a solid kayak until you find what type of fishing and features you'll want. 

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010

Bushy
No, I’m thinking of the Trident. But it’s what I heard, so maybe it’s just his expectations of how dry he thought it should be, or he was carrying a heavier load. Your mileage may vary.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Bushy
No, I’m thinking of the Trident. But it’s what I heard, so maybe it’s just his expectations of how dry he thought it should be, or he was carrying a heavier load. Your mileage may vary.

Maybe an older T13 model but my 2014 T13 held up great.  I used to regularly launch in Bodega Bay with up to 6 Danielson crab pots and some fishing gear without getting too wet.  Mostly just slightly on my butt because the two scupper holes are directly behind the seat.  Scupper plugs would fix this.  I'd occasionally get a wave over the bow, but the t13 is long enough that it wouldn't hit my torso. 

Another budget friendly kayak may be the Pescador Pro.  I just got one recently for the wife and she loves it.  Comfortable raised seat, enough deck space for legs and gear, and a hell of a lot lighter to load than the t13 and Outback. 

yatzmail@yahoo.com

If you plan to be in this for a long time go straight to a pedal kayak.
Save yourself the growing pain of upgrading later. IMO it’s difficult to paddle and fish the same time in current/windy conditions.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Jackson Kraken guy and don't know why but it seems completely efficient for me.  Cuts through many conditions and I've learned some of its limits according to my skills.
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Alcim11

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
After 5 years, I am still liking my T-13 a lot. I don't think it is particularly wet.  I only fish the ocean and am always wearing a farmer john wetsuit so some water doesn't matter.  It rides over waves well, even a steep shore break. Sitting up higher might be nice for a calm bay, lake, or the Delta, but sitting low is good for stability and catching real big fish ( in my dreams ).
Hobies which cost a lot more, are definitely faster and have great advantages in being able to hold a position against a wind or current, but I catch plenty of fish from my Trident-13 and typically cover 15 or more miles in a day on the water with it.

yatzmail@yahoo.com

That just about sums it all up. Now you decide how you want to ride.

Personally I went the hard route and thru like 15 kayaks before I started settling down. Originally I was just a touring rider.

Good luck and I’m sure it’ll be easier for you bc you didn’t take my route  :smt003

anything