Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:10:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Wheeleez Issues  (Read 4532 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Guys - my Wheeleez (actually old Rolleez that I bought from Sean White several years back) failed due to a meltdown of the innards between the axel and the wheel - note to self:  probably don't tow the yaks behind the truck anymore   :smt005  ...  Since the wheels themselves are still in good condition I'm hoping to repair them.  Does anyone know of a product that I can buy and put into the wheels so they can be placed back on the axel and function properly?  Bearings, bushings...etc. - I'm not sure what to refer to them as.

Also, I see the Wheeleez ad here on NCKA, and I'm wondering if we get a discount if we order from that link versus just going to their site and ordering.

Thanks for any info you can provide.  :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
First try calling Wheeleez directly. They may just sell you exactly what you need.

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Headwaters was the last to do a group buy, sometime last year, I think. If you opt for a new one, avoid the bald tires.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
So sitting on my butt contemplaing retirement and I come across this post,

Being the guy I am I go out to the garage and pull my wheels apart, (two pairs of pliers was all that was needed), a couple wrenches would have been more proper but who's counting.

I found a plastic bearing assembly in there, with stainless steel ball bearings and a very specific shape, if you can get them from Wheeleez it would be a 5 minute job. if not you might be able to cobble something together.

I did try to buy just a frame/axel piece from them a couple years ago and they said "not available".

Good Luck Eric.

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Thanks, Guys.  I have been in touch with Wheeleez and should've mentioned that they already told me they have changed the size and shape of the necessary bushing, and they've offered no remedy for salvaging the wheels.  Even though they are a bit bald, the tires have stood up to all of my beach miles over about 8 or more years, so I do want to at least repair them to be spares.  I did also take apart my wheels, so I realize how easy it is - that's why I'm hoping there's a fix out there!  Thx   :smt001

pao

Eric

Wheeleez has hub replacements.  You just have to know what size you have.  What size wheels do you have (product part number)?

Once you have that click on Go to parts for this wheel Hopefully you have one of these.

1.  http://www.wheeleez.com/parts/wheels-PU.php

2.  http://www.wheeleez.com/parts/wheels-PVC.php

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
From your pictures, it looks like your Wheelez uses bearings, and not bushings.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I took apart my Wheelez Kayak Cart with 30cm polyurethane wheels.

These are the bearing parts on my Wheelez:

From the inside of the hub outwards (right to left), here is what I saw on mine.
1) White plastic washer
2) felt washer with the same inner and outer diameters as the above plastic washer
3) Black plastic bearing assembly with bearings inside
4) felt washer with a larger inner diameter and a smaller outer diameter as the above plastic washer
5) bearing retainer ring

By the way, my Wheelez uses 20 mm (3/4") bearings, which would be part# WZ3-BRUB:

If you replace ALL your existing parts with ones from their bearing kit, which looks like it includes a few more plastic washers than mine, you should be fine.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:08:12 AM by krusty »

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
Thanks, Guys.  I have been in touch with Wheeleez and should've mentioned that they already told me they have changed the size and shape of the necessary bushing, and they've offered no remedy for salvaging the wheels.  Even though they are a bit bald, the tires have stood up to all of my beach miles over about 8 or more years, so I do want to at least repair them to be spares.  I did also take apart my wheels, so I realize how easy it is - that's why I'm hoping there's a fix out there!  Thx   :smt001

Interesting story Eric.  Did Wheeleez offer up any guidelines on how to inspect for this possible problem, or any maintenance procedures we may way to follow?

-Allen

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I am guessing (guessing mind you) that he was towing it behind his vehicle and the speed created too much friction. The resulting heat is what caused it's demise. Just a guess.
<=>

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I am guessing (guessing mind you) that he was towing it behind his vehicle and the speed created too much friction. The resulting heat is what caused it's demise. Just a guess.

Nice guess Tote  :smt005
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

IslandYak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
High speed towing willl do that.

IslandYak
Freddie
IslandYak

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
For the price of one of those carts you should be able to pull it down the freeway behind your truck. 

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
A trip to a bearing house could get you a set of sealed ball bearings.  Use the old freeze the bearing trick and lightly tap it in.  You will need the Outside diameter (OD) of the axle, Inside diameter (ID)of the bearing, OD of the bearing itself, ID of the wheel hub.  Not as difficult as you think.  Most bearing houses can do this for you.  Or you can always get the info and then look online. I did this recently for a Meat Slicer I restored.  The orginal company was long gone.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Quote from: polepole

Interesting story Eric.  Did Wheeleez offer up any guidelines on how to inspect for this possible problem, or any maintenance procedures we may way to follow?

-Allen

Nope.  I'm chalking it up to the friction from running the wheels behind the truck for about 4 miles, and I won't be doing that again.

Great advice from all of you - thanks! 

Krusty - I appreciate what you've offered, and I would get a repair kit, but, like I said, the people at Wheeleez told me that all of their modern wheels are different sizes than the old Roleez wheels I have.

Squidder - great info, but I don't know if I have access to a bearing shop around here.  It also sounds like I'd have to get a bit technical, and I have an aversion to that!   :smt001

I'll keep chipping away at gaining the knowledge that I need in order to save these wheels for future use.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
When you get it repaired you might want to install bearing buddies. :smt001