Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:40:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:07:13 PM]

[Today at 08:09:27 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Still trying to figure out rear-seat rod holder for TI  (Read 1450 times)

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I'm trying to figure out the best way to install a rod holder for the rear seat of the TI. Right now, the rod holder sticks straight back from the aka bar which means there isn't a good snap-back from the rod, which often results in missed strikes.

Angling it straight out and over the ama means the person in the rear seat can't reach the rod, so...

I'm looking at mounting a Scotty mount next to the seat for easy access and versatility. Or maybe an H-bar? I'm not too big on the idea of drilling into the TI, so I'd love any suggestions or warnings, or alternatives if any exist.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Andrew
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I did this to my Hobie Quest for securing the tackle box.  I took a 6" yak rack, and secured it behind the seat, using the t-trax and either a gimbal ball or a gear head you can make a rod holder any place you want it, and angle it where it will function for you.

Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
did you try mounting a scotty mount to the aka? Something like a Pat R mount?

Ah I see, probably a bit hard to reach.  I would probably just install a geartrack alongside.  Best option even though it involves drilling. I think a H bar would just get in the way on an TI.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:30:47 PM by bmb »

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
did you try mounting a scotty mount to the aka? Something like a Pat R mount?

Ah I see, probably a bit hard to reach.  I would probably just install a geartrack alongside.  Best option even though it involves drilling. I think a H bar would just get in the way on an TI.

Yep, I have RailBlazas and PatR Scotty mounts on the akas and crossbars. They work great for the front seat rod holders as well as for both downriggers. It's the rear rod holder that's the weak link right now.
The mesh pocket - I was looking at that earlier, but didn't think much of it. Thanks! I'll sleep on it.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
What about mounting a Scotty 4-inch Track inside the mesh pocket, either on the side or the bottom, and then a track adapter to which I can mount any number of accessories? Would the track fit across the bottom of the mesh pocket? Might be tight, but along the side looks easy.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/22643/Scotty-Low-Profile-Track-4-inch.html

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Actually, would the track be able to withstand the torque of a salmon setup? I'd be afraid the adapter might slip out.

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
In my opinion, the trak system has a major design flaw. The mounting base is a twist-on, then you stick the rod holder to the mounting base. If the track mount is on the right side, then when the fish pulls on the rod, it pulls the base clock-wise, which tightens the base, which is fine. But for the left side track, the fish pulls the rod, the hold twist counter-clockwise, which loosens the the base. Horrible idea. Had never heard anyone mentioned about this major flaw. I found out the hard way.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:51:48 PM by lucky13 »

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
In my opinion, the trak system has a major design flaw. The mounting base is a twist-on, then you stick the rod holder to the mounting base. If the track mount is on the right side, then when the fish pulls on the rod, it pulls the base clock-wise, which tightens the base, which is fine. But for the left side track, the fish pulls the rod, the hold twist counter-clockwise, which loosens the the base. Horrible idea. Had never heard anyone mentioned about this major flaw. I found out the hard way.
works fine on the right side with twist base.  on the left side you want a different style rod holder base.

There are now a few different options:
Yakattack track mounted base
https://www.yakattack.us/omega-rod-holder-with-track-mounted-locknload-mounting-system/
Pro version of rod holder https://www.yakattack.us/omega-pro-rod-holder-with-track-mounted-locknload-mounting-system/

Railblaza Starport HD Base + track nut kit
https://www.railblaza.com/products/starport-hd/
https://yakgear.com/product/starport-hd-tracnut-kit/

Railblaza starport + track nut kit
https://yakgear.com/product/starport/
https://yakgear.com/product/railblaza-starport-tracmount-kit/

Overall, for geartrack, especially for boats with narrow gunnels like Hobies, I'm pretty partial to the OG yakattack GT90 stuff, low profile, solid metal with fullback backing plates and installed using rigging bullets.  The new scotty ones look nice and have less places for you to catch yourself, but are plastic.
https://www.yakattack.us/by-product-name/geartrac/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:06:50 PM by bmb »

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Overall, if you just want to keep it simple and maybe not the most handsome, I think mounting a scotty holder in the mesh pocket would be the easiest and cheapest option.  like $8 for a 241 mount + scotty rod holder.

If you want it to be able to do more than just hold a rod holder in the future, I would consider gear track. It's so clean for installation of accessories that they're really hard to beat.  I would:
1. Measure gunnel width, but most likely for a Hobie narrow gunnel you'll be limited to:
2. Measure length of space you want - I would go minimum 8" and upwards of 12" on yakattack GT90 or GT90 Top loading. I don't know anything about the top loading tracks but the GT90 always did me well on my old boats.
3. Install fullback backing plate for the GT90 - that will make the setup absolutely bombproof against any fish you're likely to encounter.
4. On the starboard side, just go with a Scotty 438 Gear Head Track Adapter, which will match with any scotty rod holder you already have.
5. If you prefer to fish off the port side, I'd go with the railblaza or yakattack mounts. They'll both do the job but I think the yakattack locknload is probably a bit sturdier. 

I would probably just go to a dealer to get the geartrack installed if you can, they should already have the pieces to do the fullback install with rigging bullets.  The only dealer I know well enough to trust with the install is Headwaters.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Actually, would the track be able to withstand the torque of a salmon setup? I'd be afraid the adapter might slip out.
Depending on your drag setup.  If your drag is too tight, the answer is no.  If the drag is enough with give (just like trolling should be), it will work just find.  I have tracks all over my Raptor G2 and it worked beautifully (I use Scotty Gear Heads everywhere).  On some occasions (say 1 or 2 out of 10?), the Gear Head will rotate depending on the initial hit.  I use to worry about this all the time, but I put the worry issue to bed by latching my rod.  Now, I would just leave it or even toss the rod to the water if I think that's best (especially if I have to circle around/away).   

I currently have plastic tracks which are just fine.  But if I have to do it over, I would change it to the aluminum type. 

Also, you can always use a yak attack mighty mount deck adapter kit if your track is long enough.   I use a locking scotty base for my expensive stuff (i.e. fish finder, scotty orca, etc).
Lastly, I agree with ben, use the longest track that you can put (gives you option to move it around).  I don't use a backer, but I do use washers on the underside.  You can also use a cheap starboard backer instead of buying expensive ones. 

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:08:10 PM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I went with the mesh pocket method. Used it today. Pretty good setup.

anything