Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:50:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:39:05 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Preaching the PFD message ...  (Read 7259 times)

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Stupid kills people, lots of people. But its job security for a lot of us.

As far as the education thing, how much education does one need? I think its pretty common sense that people sink. AND its called a Personal FLOTATION Device. If people can't put two and two together then natural selection might just catch up to them.

It is the individual's responsibility to take the necessary precautions to keep themselves safe, but most do not have that sentiment. They count on others. I have no issue with people making their own choices, as long as they take responsibility for their actions if/when something unexpected happens.

There are risks in everything we do, everyday. But there are certain steps and actions you can take to mitigate many of those risks. Wearing a PFD when on the water is one of them.

These recent deaths could have all been prevented. Simple as that.
Headwaters Kayak Fishing Team

VK

I run with scissors  .  Keeps me on the edge  .

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009

You're going to get me in trouble Darius.

No Sir I didn't mean that you are questioning or doubting anybody here lol. It my opinion that most of us prioritize safety first.

Risks too high?  Quantify please.

I wasn't referring to the statistic, I meant risking life is to high to be taken for granted or get overly confident. Some case I call it stubbornness ;)

Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

You're going to get me in trouble Darius.

No Sir I didn't mean that you are questioning or doubting anybody here lol. It my opinion that most of us prioritize safety first.

I'll make the claim that 50% of the PFD's worn at an event aren't being worn correctly.  I'll make the claim that 25% of the participants at an event are not suitably dressed for immersion.  I have no real facts to back up those claims, but I am positive the numbers are significantly higher than zero.

Risks too high?  Quantify please.

I wasn't referring to the statistic, I meant risking life is to high to be taken for granted or get overly confident. Some case I call it stubbornness ;)

Risk is not an absolute thing.  At some point, it falls below having to worry about.  For instance, you have a higher chance of dying while jogging than while kayaking.   I think everyone should wear helmets while jogging.   :smt002

-Allen

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
you have a higher chance of dying while jogging than while kayaking.   I think everyone should wear helmets while jogging.   :smt002
-Allen

But then you are also increasing your chance of dying while kayaking if you are not wearing PFD  :smt002 :smt001
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile

As far as I can tell, rock climbing has similar (close enough to argue) death rates to kayaking. Yet Alex Honnold's recent free solo of El Capitan was more idolized than condemned. Why isn't there a similar "campaign" in the rock climbing world to require ropes and protection?

-Allen

Meh.....i think its badass.  But i also hold the pfd police in the same regard as i do jehova's witnesses, pushy liberasts and hippies.   

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

polepole

• Administrator
you have a higher chance of dying while jogging than while kayaking.   I think everyone should wear helmets while jogging.   :smt002
-Allen

But then you are also increasing your chance of dying while kayaking if you are not wearing PFD  :smt002 :smt001

Not necessarily.  That's the thing about odds like this, they don't apply uniformly across all situations.

-Allen

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Allen with an exercise in sophistry.  Amusing.

-Allen

Not necessarily.  That's the thing about odds like this, they don't apply uniformly across all situations.

-Allen

Ceteris paribus it is a true statement, so long as the kayak is in a sufficient amount of water that you can drown in it. 

That is a different question than the question about PFD police and uninvited safety lectures, but let's not hide the ball, ok?
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
What's Face Book?
<=>

polepole

• Administrator
Allen with an exercise in sophistry.  Amusing.

-Allen

-Allen

Ceteris paribus it is a true statement, so long as the kayak is in a sufficient amount of water that you can drown in it. 

That is a different question than the question about PFD police and uninvited safety lectures, but let's not hide the ball, ok?

Maybe if they understood the statistics of it, the PFD Police wouldn't uniformly address the various situations.  I've paddled in situations in which not wearing a PFD probably has less of a chance of dying than other situations in which I was wearing a PFD.  Chew on that for a bit!

-Allen

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Maybe if they understood the statistics

I can argue both sides but am usually in the "just wear it 'cause it's good impact protection and it has pockets" camp. But you brought up statistics, pole-pole.  :smt003

Mark Twain penned: "Figures often beguile me," he wrote, "particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'"

But, bottom line , do what you think is the proper thing for the situation and conditions, but always remember, you have only: 1*
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:27:36 PM by Fisherman X »
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

polepole

• Administrator
I can argue both sides

I can argue both sides too.  And I can support aspects of both.  The more I talk about this, the more I realize I just don't like the safety cop approach I see becoming more of the norm these days.  The world is not black and white, it is shades of grey.  And everyone's grey is not the same.  Think about that for a bit!

-Allen

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
99.9% of the time I wear a seat belt. If I'm moving from one driveway to another, which means I have to back out onto the street and pull into the other, I don't. But I do feel weird for not wearing it.
I feel naked w/o my PFD when on my kayak. 99.9% of he time I wear it.
Then there's always the embarrassment your family will face if you drowned because you weren't wearing it.
Like seat belts; no one ever needs a PFD....until they do.
<=>

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile

The world is not black and white, it is shades of grey.  And everyone's grey is not the same.

THIS!

This is something that until recently I thought I understood, now in midlife its really messing with me. :(

But back on topic:

I always wear a seat belt when driving, PFD when on a boat and wetsuit when in cold water. When I see someone in the bay with no wetsuit I want to try and tell them what I think they should do but typically figure it's not really my job to try and educate them.

On the other hand often in the past I fished the ocean alone and relied on fear to let me know my limit. These days with a kid I go out alone alot less and only in "safer conditions"  also when things freak me out I head in.

I think when people have less to lose they are willing to take more risks and the adrenalin helps them feel more alive (enjoy their life) and perhaps adjust their actions to reduce risk. When they have more to lose they are often more careful.

The telling people to wear their PDF thing is similar to telling them there are sharks in the ocean, they probably already know and you are likely to make them uncomfortable by reminding them (especially if you say it like you care). How you say it really will effect how they will respond.

P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus