Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: "Blue" Ling question  (Read 1728 times)

NotaSeal

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
I caught my first blue lingcod the other day. When I filleted it the meat is a light blue. It turned snow white when cooked.

What's the deal with blue lingcod? A separate species? Something in their diet? Thanks.

"Look for it in yourself - it's there, and it has many forms.  "It" is a way to live that benefits you by doing your best to do the right thing by others." LoletaEric

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Fukushima radiation.  Please deliver any more you catch to me for proper disposal.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014

Fukushima radiation.  Please deliver any more you catch to me for proper disposal.

Well I am sure you will want some of the colored Cabazon.  They must be toxic. 

-------------------

The color has something to do with bile pigment but not sure why it occurs.  It sounded logical to think it had something to do with their diet but apparently it doesn't. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

Well I am sure you will want some of the colored Cabazon.  They must be toxic. 

-------------------

The color has something to do with bile pigment but not sure why it occurs.  It sounded logical to think it had something to do with their diet but apparently it doesn't. 

I remember a theory that sounds as good as any that particular individuals favored a diet of kelp crabs, and the kelp crabs turn them blue through the bile.  Same with cabezon. 
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

NotaSeal

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks guys. Crash, we're bound to cross paths one of these days. My sister and Brandi are good friends. I look forward to it. Meanwhile if I get another blue ling I'll let you have it and you can deal with the radiation. :smt001
"Look for it in yourself - it's there, and it has many forms.  "It" is a way to live that benefits you by doing your best to do the right thing by others." LoletaEric

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/06/17/322920045/red-fish-blue-fish-where-the-fish-flesh-rainbow-comes-from

Blue lingcod: Though usually white-hued like halibut or cod, lingcod, a West Coast bottom-dwelling species, occasionally looks as though it's been marinated overnight in a tray of Blue No. 2 food dye.

Love writes in his book that a bile pigment called biliverdin seems to be responsible for turning the blood serum of these fish their stunning color — but how this pigment gets into the tissues and flesh of the fish, or why only some lingcod turn this striking shade, is a mystery to biologists.

Lingcod — a member of the greenling family — isn't the only West Coast species to turn up with blue-green meat. Its cousins, the rock greenling and the kelp greenling, are sometimes tinted turquoise, as is an unrelated sculpin called the cabezon, which shares the same habitat.

Worthington says the rare turquoise individuals taste the same as their white brethren. And during cooking, the blue color vanishes entirely. Those lucky enough to encounter a blue fillet at the fish counter may be drawn to it for its aesthetic appeal; Worthington says turquoise lingcod fillets always sell faster than their white counterparts.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

NotaSeal

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks Big Jim!!!

"Those lucky enough to encounter a blue fillet at the fish counter may be drawn to it for its aesthetic appeal; Worthington says turquoise lingcod fillets always sell faster than their white counterparts."

I may have to sell my blue ling to Crash......for a premium price. :smt044

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
It's because they eat so many mollusks & crustaceans, and their blood is copper-based (instead of iron-based like mammals or other fish).
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
It's because of the fukushima nuclear diaster [emoji28]
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

PablitoPescador

• Sea Lion
  • Sorry ladies, I'm married to the sea
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Congrats on a beautiful blue ling, Notaseal. Hell if I know why they're blue. All I know is that you have the most legit name on NCKA and you caught yourself a tasty smurf ling. Don't sell it to Crash unless you get top dollar!

northshorediver

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
It's because they eat so many mollusks & crustaceans, and their blood is copper-based (instead of iron-based like mammals or other fish).
I have never cleaned a ling with mollusks or crustaceans?  Cabazone...yes.  I have noticed that they both love octopus.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt012 Blue b/c they wives n girlfriends don't put out :jerk:

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile

I call BS.

If that was the case or the most believed theory Milton Love would say so, instead of saying that they really don't know how/why some have the biliverdin in their flesh and some don't.

I've taken Lings of the same sex, same size, with same gut contents off the same reef on the same day and one will be bright blue and one won't.

It's a mystery of the universe....just accept it.

:smt004

Sincerely,

Jim

ps...like Ken said, I've seen a ton of Lings with puss/squid in bellies, but none with crabs or abs like you see in the belly of cabbies.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:42:53 AM by BigJim »

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Seems like 50% of the lings I catch are barfing up octopi. And octopus are mollusks, right? So they have the same copper-rich protein (hemocyanin) as crabs. They also have the ability to quickly change their pigmentation.

In Love's book "Certainly More Than You Want to Know About The Fishes of The Pacific Coast" he says:
""The flashy hue is caused by high levels of a bile pigment called biliverdin, which causes the blood serum of the fish to be blue-green (or occasionally purplish) and which also finds its way into the muscles. The source of this pigment is unclear, although the most likely source is the breakdown of heme (as in hemoglobin) or other molecules called porphyrins. Why these fish should carry such a high concentration in their blood is unknown. Also possible is that the color comes from the fish's diet, as some invertebrates store bile pigments from the algae they eat. The levels of biliverdin found in cabezon blood serum are higher than those found in humans with jaundice and how these fish cope with normally toxic levels of this material remains a mystery.""

Or it could just be a normal color variation; unaffected by their diet, etc.

To this day, the brightest blue flesh I've seen was on a big rock greenling I caught in Carmel. Sometimes those guys have crazy blue meat!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
Why these fish should carry such a high concentration in their blood is unknown

Great unsolved mystery of the universe...like alien abductions and anal probing.

:smt005 :smt044

:smt008

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

anything