Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Feelfree Moken 12.5 Review  (Read 5409 times)

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Hi All,

I recently decided to try something new. I sold my Trident Ultra 4.3 and had planned on getting back into a Trident 13, but then saw the new Trident series. I picked up the Moken 12.5 used from Headwaters kayak to fill the gap in the mean time. I'd always been interested in the Moken, but bought it without paddling first. I figured if Dan said they were a good boat, I didn't have much to worry about.

When I picked it up, the first I noticed was it is made of high quality plastic and is moderately heavy - around 72lbs.

The finish on the kayak is very good. It's just as nice as the higher end brands if not nicer than some.

The center hatch is for storage and not hull access. It's about 22x6" wide and 5" deep. Smaller plano boxes will fit in here. It can be cut out for through hull storage as well.

The front hatch is large enough to place a typical cart in and the hatch is very easy to open in the water.

The seat included - the FeelFree Kingfisher has a super padded bottom and stiff back. The kayak has a seat strap to keep it from sliding around. Once installed and adjusted, it's rock solid. It's extremely comfortable - the best seat I've tried so far.

The rear tank well is roomy and is designed for a crate. It even has straps to secure your crate - a really nice touch.

The front and side handles are molded in and are very usable.

The wheel in the keel is great for pavement or hard packed ground when you don't need to go far. You have to balance the kayak on a small wheel so I don't view it as a cart replacement by any means, but it's a really nice touch.

The kayak measures 12'7 and is 32" wide. It isn't designed to be a speed demon.

Paddling the Moken 12.5 is extremely pleasant. It doesn't take much to get her moving, and the glide is impressive for a kayak of this length. It tracks very well for its length, but I would add a rudder for ocean/fast water use. Speed is on par with many fishing kayaks, I would say on par with the Cuda 12.

In line with its dimensions it is VERY stable. I can side saddle this kayak and tip it to the point that the gunwale goes under before I fall out.

This kayak rides dry. The high rails and hull volume keep it high in the water even with my 240lbs in it.

I was able to stand and paddle around first try - I'm 6'1 and 240lbs. The standing platform is perfect. For reference, this boat was easier to stand in than my Cuda 12 I've owned previously.

Overall, this kayak is an excellent value for the money and deserves more looks from those looking for a great all around boat. I would not hesitate to take this boat in the salt, or anywhere in between. I think this is a great boat for folks who may want a drier more stable alternative to the Trident 13.

This ones a keeper. The girlfriend paddled it, and she wants one. Plan is to keep it for "her", and pick up an offshore boat this winter. The Moken will be my freshwater/girlfriend/tag along boat. If she was a little faster, she'd be perfect. The Moken 14 may be that boat. I will give the 14 a try when I start seriously shopping for a longer offshore boat.

I'll add more details/opinion as time progresses.

Give Dan a call, setup a demo and try one out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,
Logan
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:24:26 PM by ljparton »

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
ha trippy. I have the exact same blue boat with the same paddle and I got it at headwaters. Its badass

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
ha trippy. I have the exact same blue boat with the same paddle and I got it at headwaters. Its badass

I think I've seen some posts of yours on Instagram. Blue is a custom color from what I'm told. Agreed, sweet little boat!

It's gotta be perfect for the Napa river.

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
"The Moken will be my freshwater/girlfriend/tag along boat. If she was a little faster, she'd be perfect."

We're talking about the boat, right?

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
"The Moken will be my freshwater/girlfriend/tag along boat. If she was a little faster, she'd be perfect."

We're talking about the boat, right?

Yes - as in girlfriends kayak - haha.

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Great review. For the price and quality there really isn't much that compares. $899 for the 12.5 and $949 for the 14'. Thanks for taking the time to write the review.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

Action

• Salmon
  • Valley springs, Ca.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Thanks.....Very interested in a Moken 12.5.
Jack

Action

• Salmon
  • Valley springs, Ca.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Hope to try mine this weekend.
Jack

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I entered the kayak fishing world about a month ago when I bought a moken 12.5. Couldn't be happier. Wife's getting a moken 10 in the next cpl weeks. Best decision I made for fishing
2018 Hobie outback camo
Equinox angler 12 ft
Yes I am a plumber (Hardy's plumbing)
Nic G's catch tackle pro staff

anything