Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:05:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Drillers remorse  (Read 8408 times)

jaywo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
You told me time and time again, don't do it.....but I did anyway.

I have a Malibu X13 fished it a couple of times then decided on a good spot for the fish finder. No problem there. Fished it a few more times and decided on one of those fancy Ram rod holders right down the center between my knees. After a few more times out I have decided it was a mistake. So my question is how to properly plug the screw holes. I have read about plastic welding, yes it's the best option but I am not too comfy with high heat and plastic without previous experiece. Marine Goop is an option, but how long would it last? Any other ideas? Thanks

j

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Goop up a screw and tighten it up.

Shicken

• HAC
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
Plug it w/ a gooped screw, rivet, or matching hole plug. 

To give you an idea of wahts involved with welding the plastic repair rod - http://www.oceankayak.com/product_support/repair.html

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
above to the third power...I've made the same mistake.
-Eric Berg

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
As a matter of fact that same problem was my project today.  i bought a t15 from a guy and he had the ff mount all wrong.  I just plugged the holes with goop and rivets while adding padeyes on the inside to secure my wire.
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
here it is
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The next project is putting a wire seal on that huge hole the previous owner drilled on the t15. :smt011
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

DaveW

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I keep saying it and no one takes me seriously:  Hot glue gun.  The hot glue is basically the same material as your boat.  Use the high heat kind.  Just take the tip of the gun after it heats up and rub it around the inside of the hole until the boat plastic is soft.  Then give it a shot.  It takes seconds to fix holes like this.  As the stuff cools, take a single edge blade and trim it flush.  Done.  And clean.

You can put some tape on the inside to stop too much glue from going in the boat.  Works on gouges as well.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Haha! Dude Hightide, I just finished doing the same thing, for the same reasons! Had to plug the 4 screw holes, in addition to the huge hole for the wires! But I found that if I used screws/rivers that my FF head-unit would touch the screws/rivets when folded down. So I used spare material to weld the screw holes shut. Then I cut a piece of material the exact same size as the big hole and welded that in place. Reinforced w/goop but I’m not sure if that was necessary. Pics T/K.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I've done a bit of plastic welding on my old Cobra Navigator.   Cobra was kind enough to send me some plastic in the form of long thin rods.   I used a soldering iron and a light touch and it turned out pretty good.   A little sanding at the end and you could hardly tell the crack was ever there.   I think filling up some screw holes would be pretty easy and it would look so much nicer than a bunch of gooped up screws.
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
Ugh.. My worst nightmare  :smt005  i've still not done a thing with my X-Factor, even though I bought all the parts I need.  Just when I'm in the garage, i cant decide if something is too far to reach, or in the right place.  If your up to it, take some pics of the fix!  Like to know how it turns out, in case I have to do the same  :smt002 

Think i'll bring my rod holder on my next trip and just place it around the deck to see where I'll be able to best use it.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I had a friend who used glue stick to fill the screw/bolt holes on his yak and it looks great and sooo easy to do.  These glue sticks come in many colors.  See link below:

http://www.adhesive-solutions.net/glue-sticks/hobby-crafts/hs-150-colored-glue-sticks.html
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

DaveW

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I had a friend who used glue stick to fill the screw/bolt holes on his yak and it looks great and sooo easy to do.  These glue sticks come in many colors.  See link below:

http://www.adhesive-solutions.net/glue-sticks/hobby-crafts/hs-150-colored-glue-sticks.html

Once you do it, you'll never fix a small hole any other way.

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
i knew I should have waited :smt012
The rivets don't seem to touch my ff when folded down though :smt002  I guess they'll have to do  :smt003
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I patched a few rivet holes on my old Scrambler using the polyethylene plugs made to plug the holes in drip irrigation tubing where the 1/8 inch tubes exit the 15/8 in mains.  Find the ones that are flat on top they have a tapered tip that steps back to a smaller diameter shaft before the top cap.  Sort of like a thumb tack with an engorged point.  I just pushed then into the holes and they are water tight even without goop though I am sure some goop would not hurt.
Etienne