Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:45:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Loch Lomond tourney  (Read 6242 times)

jselli

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Great Job Chris. I will be the first to admit I did not read your entire post, but bet it was a fantastic feeling to put in hard work and reap the benefits.  Way to go!  

Jason
...The sea, once it casts its spell
holds one in its net of wonders forever.
                          Jacques Cousteau

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Funny thing.

When the reporter wanted to take pictures he wanted me to put on my PFD to cover up my tie dye for the shots.

I had to explain to him that it was "sort of my signature" and I didn't want to cover it up, and I heard Alan in the background snickering "sort of?" Heh....

Another funny thing was Mooch asking me if, since I won, I would stop with the smack talk.........I think everyone was laughing when I said "Heck no, I'm gonna smack talk more!".   I didn't see who it was that educated Mooch that I had just been rewarded for the behavior......  :smt003

I edited my main post a bit and included a picture of the bait I used.

MolBasser
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 09:17:36 AM by MolBasser »
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

PAL

• Salmon
  • View Profile Kayak Fish magazine
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Congratulations Chris. I bet its a better feeling to win a kayak on the water than in a raffle. Nicely done.

Paul
Read about kayak fishing: www.KayakFishMag.com

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Yeah, the guilt will be far less.

If that is possible......  :smt005

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Congrats MB.  Sunrise is the best color, IMO.

BTW - I think Stu has placed in every tourney he has entered...  Watch out HMB and Elk, I think he's due for another win...  We might consider pulling a Nancy Kerrigan on him before the next big tourney...  :)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I think Stu has placed in every tourney he has entered

Yes he has  :smt045

Gordon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Good job, Mol!

Here's how I came up 3 oz short of a new kayak... :smt010

I was focusing on bass.  I hadn't been to Loch Lomond since high school (don't ask how long ago that was...) so before the tourney I downloaded an aerial picture of the lake from Microsoft Terraserver (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/cmap.aspx?src=0&ppd=1&r=4&c=3&W=0&ClickAt=?0,0).  Fortunately, the picture was taken when the water was low, so it showed several points and flats that would be underwater during the tourney.

I got on the water about 6:45 and started rigging up before official "blast-off".  I tried to switch on my depthfinder but nothing happened.   :smt013  The livewell aerator was not working either, so I assumed dead battery (the battery checked out OK @ home, so I think it's a wiring issue inside the yak).  So I was basically fishing blind all day.

Based on the aerial map, I thought fishing around the island showed promise and started there, alternating between several baits (spinnerbait, big swimbait, brush hog, crankbait).  No takers so I headed over to the tules across the lake.  I tried flipping a big jig deep into the tules and around any brush/wood I could see.  This wasn't panning out either, so I went to plan 'C' -- dragging a carolina rigged Baby Brush Hog.  I worked my way from the back of the cove with the tules out to a main lake point and then turned around and started back in.  I didn't know how deep I was -- just trying to keep the bait in what I thought was 10-15' of water if I could.  Halfway into the cove I got a very soft hit, almost like I was pulling the bait through some weeds.  I pulled back and the weeds shook their head, so I set the hook.  At first I thought it was a smallish fish (probably because I had so much line out).  Once it got close to the yak the battle started in earnest, as I was uncomfortably close to a submerged stump, and I knew they have huge root systems.  I pedaled my yak (Hobie Mirage Outback) towards deeper water so the fish wouldn't wrap me up.  My hands were shaking as I netted it and I breathed a prayer of thanks.  I didn't want to chance weighing it on the water, but I guestimated it between 3 to 4 lbs (turned out to be exactly between -- 3 lb, 8 oz).  I put it in the livewell and checked my watch -- ~8:45.  Why couldn't the tourney end at 9:00?

I was going to stay mum until weigh-in, but I ran into Stuart and he told me what he had so I told him what I had.  Then I saw Mooch who said, "Did you hear?  Mol got a 4-lber!"  I though Stuart had radio'd him about my catch and Mooch was just yanking my chain...

Spent the rest of the day looking for a bigger bite with the jig and the swimbait, but no love...

So I won a seat/backrest for 2nd place.  I showed it to my wife and said, "The rest of the new kayak is on the trailer -- just kidding."

It was a fun event.  Thanks to Kayak Connection and the sponsors.  Good to see all you guys out there.

Gordon
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 11:03:56 AM by Gordon »

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

Thanks for telling your stories guys! Sounds like you both worked pretty hard for those fish!
john m. airey

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
the morning launch....(who needs a launch ramp :smt002)

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
more launch photos (you can never have enough)

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Congrats to Mole and Gordon.  That was an exciting finish.

I fished with Fred, Joel, Chuck and Harold.

Hearing the bass fishing at the Loch is TOUGH, we targeted trout first, just to "get on the board".  Right away, we saw Jim (or Ed?) and his son hook the first fish of the day, quickly followed by Fred and Harold.  

With cookie cutter planters caught in the first 15 minutes of fishing, we figured trout weren't going to take first, so we then focused on bass.

Between us, we fished hard at several fishy spots for nada!

Not being a bass purist by any means, I figured I'd try two frowned upon techniques at the same time.  Bait and trolling.   :smt001

I went really, really slow, with a live night crawler tight to the shoreline, 7 feet under a small split shot and a bobber,  trailing way behind the yak.  Had several annoying bluegill hits, but no real love.  I was getting a sore neck, looking behind at the bobber, so I switched to tossing the crawler along the shore.

I pitched it close to shore, right in between two stumps and had a surprise hit.  I knew it was a bass and was screaming like a school girl.  As soon as I landed it, my fishing companions looked at the fish, looked at me, looked at the fish again, shook their heads and paddled away.  At the moment, size didn't matter.  Finally catching a LL bass was a big accomplishment!!  Stupid me was thinking maybe, just maybe, could it be possible that I had the only bass of the day?

Ran into to Gordon along the shoreline, and he told me he had one too.  I knew his was bigger, and when he said 3-4lbs, my heart sank like a G Loomis rod to the bottom of the Loch.

My radio was on the wrong channel, so I didn't hear about Mol's fish till late in the AM.

Thanks Kayak Connection and Allen Bushnell for hosting the event.  After wards, we met up with my family and Joe's family enjoying the rest of the day at the Loch.  We even decided to paddle out and have a little bluegill contest.  Lots of hits, misses, rigs in trees and small blues.

Family, friends and fishing.  What a great Father's Day.

Stuart

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
on the water - on stand by....the crew waiting for the "gentlemen, start your engines" signal from Allen Bushnell....

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
while we were all waiting for the green light to fish, I took some pics of Gordon's pimp ride Hobbie Kayak.....

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Since it was a Father's Day event....I figured I'd honor the Father's who brought their offsprings out for a paddle and a little fishing.....

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
more Father / offspring photos....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:16:12 PM by Mooch »