Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:12:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Networking in NCKA / What do you do for a living? / post here  (Read 160138 times)

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I think I might be a firefighter.  I fish more days than I work, I watch too much TV, I spend too much time on NCKA, I love ice cream and I get paid when I’m sleeping.  Since I don’t go grocery shopping in a fire engine, Maybe I'm not be a fire fighter.   Actually I’m a retired cop who spent enough time at the fire stations to be glad that both of my son’s are firefighters.

Thanks for all that you guys (and gals) do for us.

OUCH Grumpy!!!!!   :smt002

I know your tongue and Cheek about that but... OUCH!!!   :smt010

Tell your Sons to Come on down to Sac Fire,

1/2 our Stations run over 6000 calls a year,
               Nearly twice the NFPA Standard for Safe call volume

Sac Burns Baby  :fire  

And people dropping like Flies,  Gives ya plenty of time to work off that Ice Cream,

Truth be known that after almost 20 years in the field, I have found myself to a slower station and do get to enjoy uh... " The Finer things of The Fire Service..."  :fat

and have time to lick my wounds and work on kayak stuff like Hero's on The Water...

Coming soon to a website near you!!!.....  :smt004

I still go to the medic once every 3 weeks and wonder how I did that on regular basis for most of my Career, I'm lucky to grab lunch or Dinner on the run...

It's Really a Great Job and you guys that mentioned wanted to get into this career, well, the Best Advice I can give is " Never Give UP!!!! "

All those " Failures " in trying to get the job are merely learning lessons in trying to figure out the Game of getting hired, and it is a game, and a commitment and not letting anything distract you in your goal. It usually takes about 5 years of total commitment and taking many oral boards, backgrounds etc  etc...

I wanted to do it all my life, but for one reason or another, was sidelined. It wasn't till I was married with twin boys that I finally knuckled down and went thru my Final Tower at the young age of 39.....  ouch.....  :icon_weelchairbb:

Really funny to listen to the younger 20y/o guys complain about pain....  :smt011

It's in your head, and if you believe in yourself and your abilities...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!     Feel free to PM me about getting this Great Job

( with big screen tvs and ice cream....  :smt003 )

Rumor is, we might be hiring,  but keep in mind, were talking Sac City...

where it's not about the money.....  

We Burn, Are 4 man crews, We go inside..... :fire
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:05:56 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

JWR

• Salmon
  • If it walks, crawls, swims or flies it's dinner.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I'm the Managing Partner (boss) of a small IT consulting firm, www.oocio.com.  We are mostly ex Chief Information Officers (CIOs) and Big 4 consulting Partners that wanted to get off the treadmill. If anyone needs to figure out what to do with their company's IT, then do it, we're here for you.

Spare time is 12 yr old twins, boy and girl.  We spend all of our spare time outside.  I'm turning them into fishaholics on every body of water we find and crabbers on an Arima 19.  My son makes lures and ties flies out of junk in the garage and my daughter has the Zen touch and catches fish with them when no one else does.

My day was made last year while my daughter was sitting on the tail gate of the truck after a morning of trout fishing at Shadow Cliffs in the Scanoe and said; "This sure beats sitting on the couch playing video games."  So I guess its working.

I credit my wife for getting us into sea kayaking 17 years ago.  I've been yakking for abalone and touring ever since but only started fishing freshwater from a Wilderness Pungo a few years ago.  I have yet to fish in salt water from one.  I'm an assistant scoutmaster in the Boy Scouts Troop 301 in Belmont and lead them on a yak expedition every April in Monterey bay. 

Like many here I spent a ton of time on the MLPA process through Coastside FC.  (I was sitting next to the mike when the Seal Head dude did his schtick in San Rafael.)

I'm in the process of reconfiguring my fleet (down to 5 now from 6) to have a proper fishing yak.  Still in the pedal v. paddle decision.  Took a demo ride at CCK last week.  Thinking Revolution, Outback or OK T13.  Too many orthaepedic issues to lug around a larger, heavier boat.  Will keep you posted on the search. 
- 1st place 2010 New Melones Trout Bout
 - Skunked at RBC2 2011
but have always had a great time at every NCKA event I've had the good fortune to attend.

"A man is about as happy as he makes up his mind to be."  - A. Lincoln

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
 :smt004  I work for the USPS as a window clerk in a small northern cal town.

Spare time is fishing, kite flying and cooking/camping :smt007
The more the merrier.

I and my dog need a fishing trip rery soon.

HDRich

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Great thread..

I changed careers 7 years ago. I was National Sale Manager for Hitachi High Technologies, in charge of OEM disk sales.

Now I am the General Manager of R.W.Garcia Co., Inc. We are a tortilla chip manufacturer. I oversee all operational issues in two factories, here in San Jose, and also our plant in Lincolnton, North Carolina.

Jeffrm20

• =)
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
My normal occupation has been a CNC laser operator. But with the down economy, and after being laid off, I found myself running a small oil change shop up here in our small community. I do light mechanical work as well. Keeps me busy, but I would rather be using my brain. I miss the geometrical math to get jobs done!

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
i am a carpenter/general contractor. i mostly due remodeling and additions.

zisco

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
  I am a painting contractor  have been  for twenty something years
paintors hate holidays

notuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Retired from the Fire Service after 31 years.  My other  job is helping my kids launch into the world.  One out of college with an audio engineering degree looking for work and the other in JC pursuing the fire service.  I freelance as a grip for a buddy of mine at LMA productions from time to time just for fun.  My other/other/other job is working with my wife in her travel agency-usually testing out her trips!(all must have a fishing component).  Lots of trips to Mexico! 

Hunting, fishing and taking care of my mom round out the list.  I really don't know how I EVER had time to work before!  Its amazing what you can do when you are young...

See you on the water,

Jody
`No Tuna'

Tui Chub

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
USGS Fishery Biologist specializing in desert fishes.

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Public Affairs Officer for the US Forest Service.
I develop briefings, coordinate VIP visits/tours, write testimony, develop agency talking points/key messages, conduct media interviews, act as an adviser to leadership, manage web content, develop/implement information campaigns, etc

Right now my job focuses on wildfire issues throughout California, but I just accepted a job in Coeur d'Alene, ID where I will focus on 2.5 million acres and apply the same skills to all issues within that area.

In terms of networking, I can be a good resource in showing you how to get hired in the federal system, especially in fire. The catch with government work is that unless you're looking for entry level work it's tough to get your foot in the door. On the plus side though, if you have a good education (especially a master's degree), you're willing to move, and you're a motivated worker you can be promoted extremely fast to a pretty decent wage.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:00:17 AM by Fishin-Jay »
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Been selling Aerus-Electrolux vacuums for 20 years now. With the economy and building the way it is, it is very slow. Central vacuum systems are easy to install if you have somewhere to install them. I used to sell 10-15 a month, 75% of my personal buisness, till 2 years ago. Started slowing down. Now I've sold about 10 in the last year, with some of our other products. Also rewire race cars from time to time, do small side auto work, and anything else to try and bring in the $. Keep looking for something new, but it would cost me money to take a $10-12 hour job. I'll just keep fishing, hunting, and racing I guess. (Wife has good job). Did show a profit last year racing.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

PaulR

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Wow, cool thread.  I'm a burnt out machinist after 33 years of abuse.

Right now I am working mostly unsupervised making tooling and fixing broken stuff but I'm having more fun making freebies for myself.  Lathe, mill, grinding & CNC machining.

gw

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
I'm a foreman for one farm and farm a little wheat, barley, and rice with my brother.

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
i am a salesperson for a large construction material supply company.  i sell drywall, steel framing, stucco, insulation and ceiling grid and tile.
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
By day, I'm an attorney. 
At night, I'm still that same attorney who hasn't finished his work to prepare for the next day's deposition, but who still makes time to get on the NCKA forum during breaks to check out posts, dream about RF season opener and eventually going to sleep to repeat the cycle.

I have a wonderful wife and 2 kids who help me with the reality check and remind me of who I really work for.

Describes me perfectly.  Scary.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

anything