Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:08:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: newbie on the Delta  (Read 2193 times)

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I am thinking of trying the delta for the first time ever.  I am looking at White Slough and the area between Paradise Point and King Island Marina as a possible area to pop my delta cherry.  I am completely unfamiliar with the region but the view from google map makes this area look very fishy for LMB/SMB.  Any words of wisdom/advice or better locations for a first time experience?  Also, will I need an Ocean validation or is the standard license sufficient?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:11:44 PM by DavidMel »
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Not familiar with the water that far east but a regular license is sufficient, unless you're using two rods, then you need the two rod stamp also.  Good luck, the delta is the land of limitless opportunity.

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Not familiar with the water that far east but a regular license is sufficient, unless you're using two rods, then you need the two rod stamp also.  Good luck, the delta is the land of limitless opportunity.

Thanks.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Very good place to find large mouth bass. It gets a lot of boating pressure. Be safe be visible you should not have any problems hooking up with some large mouth bass there. Nothing special about the fishing license just have one. You should be able to use most methods to bass fish in that area. I like Texas rig plastics. Weightless senkos work well anywhere. spinner baits buzz baits, Whopper ploppers, in the morning. Frogs in the afternoon in the cover. I don't now how skilled you are for bass fishing but if you have some talent you will figure it out. One thing about the Delta is it is tidal water you will have high and low tides
I like high tides that are falling. High tide I like flipping the tules and the weed line and pockets in the weeds. Don't be afraid to get right on top of your targets if the water is stained. I can go on and on about the Delta. You are starting is one of the best areas. In the fall try Sherman island area for striped bass. Catfish are always on the menu as are panfish. This is the number one place for Bass on the west coast as well as Clearlake. Some of the guys even catch Sturgeon off the kayaks in the Delta.
Enjoy your self. Be safe you have 1000 miles of Delta to explore. I thought two rod stamp was for lakes and reservoirs only.
Better check on that one. You can use live bluegill for bait great for the large stripers.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:37:58 PM by reelfish »

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Very good place to find large mouth bass. It gets a lot of boating pressure. Be safe be visible you should not have any problems hooking up with some large mouth bass there. Nothing special about the fishing license just have one. You should be able to use most methods to bass fish in that area. I like Texas rig plastics. Weightless senkos work well anywhere. spinner baits buzz baits, Whopper ploppers, in the morning. Frogs in the afternoon in the cover. I don't now how skilled you are for bass fishing but if you have some talent you will figure it out. One thing about the Delta is it is tidal water you will have high and low tides
I like high tides that are falling. High tide I like flipping the tules and the weed line and pockets in the weeds. Don't be afraid to get right on top of your targets if the water is stained. I can go on and on about the Delta. You are starting is one of the best areas. In the fall try Sherman island area for striped bass. Catfish are always on the menu as are panfish. This is the number one place for Bass on the west coast as well as Clearlake. Some of the guys even catch Sturgeon off the kayaks in the Delta.
Enjoy your self. Be safe you have 1000 miles of Delta to explore. I thought two rod stamp was for lakes and reservoirs only.
Better check on that one. You can use live bluegill for bait great for the large stripers.

Thank you for the advice.  I have a two rod license so I am good there.  The talent part is what I lack so I just try to make up for it with tenacity until I can gain some talent (or buy a fishfinder). 
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
People also ask
Can you fish with two rods in California?
Many California anglers eagerly pay $14.04 for a second-rod attachment to their fishing license, WHICH ALLOWS THEM TO USE TWO RODS AT ANY INLAND LAKE OR RESERVOIR. HOWEVER, there are times when you can use two rods and without a two-rod stamp — in ocean water. And even then, there are stiff restrictions.Jun 19, 2013

I Question google on two rod and got this answer from ( People also ask )
My belief on fish finder in the Delta, is it a depth finder and not so much a fish finder. Most of the water where you are fishing is shallow. And I do realize your last statement you are just kidding. Get a Delta map and you will have an idea of how big it is, and they print the average depths in areas for you.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That looks like dated information. 

2018 regulations

Anglers in possession of a Second-Rod Validation and anglers who are under 16 years of age may fish with two rods in inland waters, except for waters where artificial lures or barbless hooks are required. No more than one rod may be used in those waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used.

1.53. Inland Waters

Inland waters are all the fresh, brackish and inland saline waters of the state, including lagoons and tidewaters upstream from the mouths of coastal rivers and streams. Inland waters exclude the waters of San Francisco Bay and the waters of Elkhorn Slough, west of Elkhorn Road between Castroville and Watsonville. See Section 27.00 for the description of San Francisco Bay.

Although I dont reccomend using multiple rods for bass, everything east of the carquinez is good to go.  I only provided the info in response to the licensing question.  Best to also check for yourself instead of trusting random forum guys :)

Also, theres some yak videos from the white slough area on youtube. Looks like a cool area, i wouldn't mind giving it a shot sometime. 

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Below is the response I received from DFW.

Per the response below, the Ocean Enhancement is only needed if I am fishing in Santa Barbara County or below.

Yang, Xao@Wildlife <Xao.Yang@wildlife.ca.gov>
Thu 8/16/2018, 10:52 AM
Dear David :

Your email was forwarded to me for a response. Thank you for your question regarding the Ocean Enhancement Validation.

Fish and Game Code, subsection 6596.1(a) establishes the Ocean Enhancement Validation requirements. Pursuant to this section, “a person taking fish from ocean waters south of a line extending due west from Point Arguello for purposes other than for profit shall have a valid sport fishing ocean enhancement validation permanently affixed to his or her fishing license.”

An Ocean Enhancement Validation is not requried if you are not fishing in ocean waters south of Point Arguello (Santa Barbara County).

Thank you for the opportunity to address your question. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Xao Yang, License Program Analyst
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
1740 N Market Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95834
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

Big nick

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
White Slough can be a great, I have a real tough time on the low tide there though especially the portion you are referencing.  Wacky jig head senkos have been my go to as of late. 

Tide Link:
https://tides.willyweather.com/ca/san-joaquin-county/white-slough--honker-cut-entrance.html

Cheers,

-Nick

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Newbie question....Is it recommended to have an anchor while fishing in the delta or just cast and drift with a slow retrieve? 
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Generally speaking, you'd drift down a bank and cast at targets.  I've been on large grass flats where it would have been nice to have an anchor to stay stationary but i wouldnt go through the trouble of rigging one. 

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Generally speaking, you'd drift down a bank and cast at targets.  I've been on large grass flats where it would have been nice to have an anchor to stay stationary but i wouldnt go through the trouble of rigging one. 

Thank you for the education :smt001  My plans for Saturday were changed by the boss so I may not be able to get out this weekend.  Hopefully next weekend or this Sunday.  Weekday fishing unfortunately is not an option.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

Fish N Disc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I'm a Delta newbie myself.  If your going out this coming Sunday I can join.  Finally got a heavy cover/frog rod and a decent yak setup.  Mainly fish sierra lakes.

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Tomorrow looks like the day.  Hoping to be on the water by 730   
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile